Hotel recommendations in Florence

ellenw

15 hours ago, ellenw said:

Will be spending 3 or 4 nights in Florence starting on April 30, 2019. Looking for hotel recommendations. Would appreciate any info you can share with me. 

Thanks!

We have visited Florence many times and have also stayed at the Santa Maria Novella - it is very conveniently located. We have also stayed at the Grand Minerva & Hotel Rosso 23. All of these hotels are conveniently located within walking distance of the train station and the main tourist sights.

We stayed two years ago at the Hotel Calzaiuoli.  Great little hotel right on the main pedestrian street ( although I would suggest a rom facing the back as can be noisy facing the street). Terrific location , walkable everywhere.   The nicest hotel staff we have ever encountered.   Rooms a decent size for Europe.  If you “join” you get a slightly better rate and free mini bar ( at least when we stayed there).  Several others from our roll called also stayed there and we booked a van to the port in Rome together.

Enjoy Florence.

I've recently stayed at the Westin due to amazing employee rates I had available.  The location can't be beat - right on the Arno, quick walk to the Centro Storico, across the river from an amazing gelateria, great rooftop bar.   I've also stayed at the Bernini Palace - fantastic hotel but I didn't like the bustle of being right on a busy street.  

Thanks for the replies. Some of these hotels put me into sticker shock! But there are a few options that are more reasonable budget wise. 

I probably should have started my planning sooner, but was busy working on other trips that we have now completed. Florence certainly looks to be a terrific city to visit. We'll also be spending a few days in Rome, and then sailing the Mediterranean on NCL Getaway on May 8. Should be a fabulous trip.

Last visit, we stayed at the Hotel David...Rated #1 in Florence on TripAdvisor...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187895-d203921-Reviews-Hotel_David-Florence_Tuscany.html

Absolutely charming...a little bit of a walk along the river from the center of Florence...but we are very glad that we stayed there.  Wonderful free "happy hour" with free wine and lots of munchies.  Great staff.

We liked the Hotel Montebello Splendid. It is a 5 star hotel within walking distance of train station and 10 minute walk to the center of the city. We thought it was a great location because it wasnt right in the heart of the craziness and was on a peaceful side street with great access to everything. The price was competitive for a 5 star and they include a nice breakfast every morning as well. We have stayed at Bernini palace also but as a poster above noted - it was right in the center of high tourist action.

Edited by XuGator

On 12/12/2019 at 5:49 AM, vickykay said:

We stayed two years ago at the Hotel Calzaiuoli.  Great little hotel right on the main pedestrian street ( although I would suggest a rom facing the back as can be noisy facing the street). Terrific location , walkable everywhere.   The nicest hotel staff we have ever encountered.   Rooms a decent size for Europe.  If you “join” you get a slightly better rate and free mini bar ( at least when we stayed there).  Several others from our roll called also stayed there and we booked a van to the port in Rome together.

Enjoy Florence.

Who did you use to book a van from Florence to Civitivecchia?  We're thinking of going to Florence a few days before our cruise and in my ideal world we'd go to the port directly and not back  to Rome.

Thanks

On 12/15/2019 at 7:12 PM, SoccerMom#3 said:

Who did you use to book a van from Florence to Civitivecchia?  We're thinking of going to Florence a few days before our cruise and in my ideal world we'd go to the port directly and not back  to Rome.

Thanks

You can take the train from Florence - Pisa - Civitavecchia if you dont want to go through Rome again.

Edited by XuGator

10 minutes ago, XuGator said:

You can easily take the train also. Florence - Pisa - Civitavecchia

Yes, very easy to do. You have 2 train options:

Florence - Pisa - Civitavecchia (all via regional trains)

Florence - Rome - Civitavecchia (Frecciarossa to Rome, regional to Civi) this is the faster option

Bear in mind that you would need to manage your own luggage as there is no lift in the Civi station.

Edited by dogs4fun

Last year I stayed at the Grand Hotel Minerva for several nights. It is well located near the train station if you are coming or going by train (as we were). It had been very recently updated when we stayed (some areas were still getting finishing touches) and it is a nice marriage of contemporary interior design mixed with classic elegance. The breakfast was extensive and delicious. The rooms were very well appointed. Somehow, though, it didn't have a lot of "heart and soul" about it.

I preferred the Hotel Davanzati, which is a bit less luxurious but closer to what I consider the center of Renaissance Florence, and has a great atmosphere.

All depends on what you like...

We recently (October) returned from a few days in Florence where we had excellent weather :).  When it comes to hotels a major consideration would be whether you are arriving by train or have your own rental car.  When we have a car (which is often the case) we always stay at the Hotel David which is located just outside the ZTL and has free parking.  This hotel has been our home away from home (when in Florence) for nearly 20 years.   But if you are planning to get to Florence via train then there are many excellent options much more convenient to the train station and major tourist center.  

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 7:49 AM, vickykay said:

Enjoy Florence.

I know I am responding a year after your post but for those reading it later, I have to give a great big two thumbs up for Hotel Calzaiuoli.  It was fabulous in accommodations, service and location.  

Another fabulous hotel is the Plaza Hotel Lucchesi, a bit out of the way, but really beautiful.  It's on the Arno and Santa Croce is behind it.  Large marble bathroom, chandelier over the bed and included a dynamite breakfast spread. Loved opening the large windows and hearing the church bells. 

$109
Jan 12–13

Edited by lolane1
  • Like 1