Oxygen and scooter on Blue Lagoon?

ProfJenn

Hello all,

We are planning a cruise on the RCCL Grandeur that leaves in about 2 weeks. We are traveling with my mother who requires 24/7 oxygen and a mobility scooter. She has her own tanks (short term) as well as a portable O2 concentrator.

We are trying to find family friendly excursions - has anyone ever tried the Blue Lagoon excursion (Nassau, Bahamas)? The excursion description sounds like the wheelchair would work, but are there electrical outlets for the O2 concentrator? I don't think we could carry enough tanks for the 5 hour trip.

Thanks in advance,

Jenn

Hi honey8572,

Yes - she does have 2 batteries, but don't think they'll last the 5ish hour time span for the excursion (each might make 2 hrs). She's completely dependent on O2, so not having it would be a crisis. Any chances that she could run out and she'll just not go with us...

The plug in AC would give her the peace of mind to know that if the batteries were low, she had an option to charge them.

Jenn

Can’t help you on the excursion, but if it is from the cruise, can your TA call to ask them for information?   If it is independent of cruise, do they have a contact method?   Sounds as though your Mom has a Sequal or other pull type POC.   If she absolutely needs constant flow vs pulse, it’s one of the only MFC of those, and the batteries aren’t that great.   Otherwise it won’t help for this trip,  But I would purchase a newer POC with the extended batteries.  DH is on 3 LPM 24 x7 and has (2 Inogens, each  with 3 extended batteries, and each battery lasts 4-5 hours for travel.  That’s the only way we can travel Internationally.  

You might want to try Special needs at sea.  I see that they rent POC that may last longer than what your mom is using.  My DH started oxygen a few months ago.  At home he is on constant flow #3 and we bought an Inogen for when we go out. It has 2 extended batteries.  We rented a constant flow concentrator for the stateroom for sleeping, it's a little quieter than the Inogen and I don't hear it as much. The unit was in the room when we arrived and we were told that there was also a spare with the ship in case of problems.  We'll definetly use them again.

8 minutes ago, marden1970 said:

You might want to try Special needs at sea.  I see that they rent POC that may last longer than what your mom is using.  My DH started oxygen a few months ago.  At home he is on constant flow #3 and we bought an Inogen for when we go out. It has 2 extended batteries.  We rented a constant flow concentrator for the stateroom for sleeping, it's a little quieter than the Inogen and I don't hear it as much. The unit was in the room when we arrived and we were told that there was also a spare with the ship in case of problems.  We'll definetly use them again.

Lol “quieter than the Inogen”.. gotta be a G3!!!  The G2 you can’t hear, that’s why we kept it.  He uses the G2 in hotel and cruise’s, and the G3 around and about!  Looking at the G5 but don’t have any personal contacts with the noise level on it yet ( still too new).   Sorry to have gone off topic.   

Actually it's a G5.  I'm a light sleeper so when he uses it in a hotel room I can hear the boop boop (?) pulse noise even with earplugs. I think I heard it more this last time because the only outlet was too far away from the bed so he just used it on battery. (didn't take a longer hose; won't make that mistake again.😊)

31 minutes ago, marden1970 said:

Actually it's a G5.  I'm a light sleeper so when he uses it in a hotel room I can hear the boop boop (?) pulse noise even with earplugs. I think I heard it more this last time because the only outlet was too far away from the bed so he just used it on battery. (didn't take a longer hose; won't make that mistake again.😊)

Thanks for the info.  Staying with the G2 at night.  It whoosshh’s not boops.  Yup, I know what you’re saying!   

1 hour ago, marden1970 said:

I think you're right - it whoossshh!

LMAO!!!   What a strange and informative detour of this discussion!   We may just try the G5 for a 30 day trial, the G3 is way too loud and overheats miserably here in Florida!   (And the G2 being the original, is 16 LBS with the extended battery installed, ugh).   Thanks again for the info on the sound, only a POC user would understand!   Apology to the OP, but as you can see, the POC’s aren’t without their peculiar problems either!!