Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Host Jazzbeau

Viking River Cruises to Deploy 4 New Ships on Seine

QUOTE: “...sailing the popular eight-night "Paris and the Heart of Normandy" itinerary...”

The CruiseCritic writers are doubling down on cruise lines (in this case Viking) misleading ads. Viking (similar to most misleading cruise ads) calls “Paris and the Heart of Normandy” an eight day cruise, meaning 7 nights with 6 full days and (Very) small portions of 2 other days. Calling this an 8 night cruise is blatantly incorrect. Come on CruiseCritic, you can do better than this. 

12 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

QUOTE: “...sailing the popular eight-night "Paris and the Heart of Normandy" itinerary...”

The CruiseCritic writers are doubling down on cruise lines (in this case Viking) misleading ads. Viking (similar to most misleading cruise ads) calls “Paris and the Heart of Normandy” an eight day cruise, meaning 7 nights with 6 full days and (Very) small portions of 2 other days. Calling this an 8 night cruise is blatantly incorrect. Come on CruiseCritic, you can do better than this. 

It isn't just cruise lines either – so many itineraries for land trips count your overnight flight to Europe as Day/Night One.  If the deal includes 'free' air, I suppose that's legit.  But most of the itineraries I see expect you to pay for 'Day/Night One' on your own dime!  But I do prefer counting itineraries by nights, rather than days – so that they're not also taking credit for the last day when all they do is hustle me off the ship before I'm fully awake... 

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It isn't just cruise lines either – so many itineraries for land trips count your overnight flight to Europe as Day/Night One.  If the deal includes 'free' air, I suppose that's legit.  But most of the itineraries I see expect you to pay for 'Day/Night One' on your own dime!  But I do prefer counting itineraries by nights, rather than days – so that they're not also taking credit for the last day when all they do is hustle me off the ship before I'm fully awake... 

I am used to the misleading ads from cruise lines and others who turn fragments of days in implied full days, but at least there is at least a portion of 8 days in the Viking trip. CruiseCritic through sloppy journalism mutates a just barely legitimate 8 days into  a totally false 8 nights. The cruise lines are misleading, but CruiseCritic was worse giving totally false information. 

3 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

I am used to the misleading ads from cruise lines and others who turn fragments of days in implied full days, but at least there is at least a portion of 8 days in the Viking trip. CruiseCritic through sloppy journalism mutates a just barely legitimate 8 days into  a totally false 8 nights. The cruise lines are misleading, but CruiseCritic was worse giving totally false information. 

Is that cruise not 8 nights – from NY to NY?

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Is that cruise not 8 nights – from NY to NY?

I have to concede that if by “cruise” you are meaning “cruise tour” it would be, and probably 9 nights from Sydney and even more coming from Mars. BUT I have not been able to locate on either the internet or by catalogue Viking marketing the cruise in any manner other than 8 days (with 7 nights shown on the itinerary). See https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/europe/paris-heart-normandy/2020-paris-rouen-paris/index.html. I wouldn’t be surprised to find marketing in the manner you refer to, but if it is in Viking’s printed or electronic formats I haven’t found it. 

You have yet to dissuade me from feeling that sloppy journalism mutated Viking’s advertised 8 days into CruiseCritic’s claimed 8 nights. 

3 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

I have to concede that if by “cruise” you are meaning “cruise tour” it would be, and probably 9 nights from Sydney and even more coming from Mars. BUT I have not been able to locate on either the internet or by catalogue Viking marketing the cruise in any manner other than 8 days (with 7 nights shown on the itinerary). See https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/europe/paris-heart-normandy/2020-paris-rouen-paris/index.html. I wouldn’t be surprised to find marketing in the manner you refer to, but if it is in Viking’s printed or electronic formats I haven’t found it. 

You have yet to dissuade me from feeling that sloppy journalism mutated Viking’s advertised 8 days into CruiseCritic’s claimed 8 nights. 

I will concede.  I guess I have just numbed myself to overlook the rampant sloppiness in the Press these days [cue Paul Lynde singing "Kids"] – does anybody under 50 understand the proper use of the apostrophe???

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

...cue Paul Lynde singing "Kids"] – does anybody under 50 understand the proper use of the apostrophe???

Its just that todays kid’s dont k’now the function of apostrophe’s...😩

1 hour ago, TravelerThom said:

Its just that todays kid’s dont k’now the function of apostrophe’s...😩

Or even Its'