Volcanoes park at Hilo canceled

saphir

After the last episode, Kīlauea has no longer had lava, the Caldera collapsed and now a water lake has formed in the background. Visiting the park is safe, it is being monitored. During the Eclipse cruise,  we were there on September 29. By canceling the tours, X are avoiding risks.

image.thumb.png.71574a00cf12a843f969322da8687666.png

6 hours ago, cl.klink said:

ok … I'll say it.

Isn't this all a bit of an overreaction?

- Joel

When 15 young people (Lots of victims in their teens and twenties due to the nature of the excursion) are killed in an horrific manner and countless others severely injured (burns to 50% of their body) on a ship sponsored excursion to a volcano then I’m betting there aren’t too many people who would agree with you. If there was another incident then the cruiseline can’t say they were taken unawares. 

7 hours ago, saphir said:

Thank you all for your suggestions... it can still change By September.

I saw Carnival and Rccl maintain excursions to volcanoes

RCCL have cancelled their tours to active volcanoes as well. Same company as X. 

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, cl.klink said:

ok … I'll say it.

- Joel

This whole event was just horrific and I can't imagine how anyone who had relatives involved are coping. My deepest sympathies go to them and their families.

I have to say that I read this thread this morning and I do think that once time has passed some of the excursions will return as some of the volcanoes visited (especially Vesuvius) are monitored within an inch of their life as the population of Naples would be wiped out if they didn't keep an eye on it. Etna the same I think. By not going near Vesuvius then a huge area around Naples would be off limits and ships will not be safe to dock in Naples. People will never visit Pompeii or Herculaneum again because of what happened centuries ago.

I think they need to take each volcano and look at it carefully as it is like saying that swimming in the sea in the North of England is dangerous because sharks have killed someone in Australia and could strike there so we need to stop everyone from swimming in the sea.

Is it an overreaction at the moment ? I get your point as I was thinking the same to be honest

Is it the right thing to do at the moment? Yes as everyone is 'playing safe' and perhaps taking stock. It wont do any harm to stand back, reflect and then plan with more knowledge to inform their risk assessments for future tours.

Not sure if this makes sense and do not want to be disrespectful of anyone who has been affected by this situation.

• Like 3

On 12/13/2019 at 12:09 PM, saphir said:

Celebrity just canceled my volcanoes park tour for next September's a Hilo. Do you think k we can have a private tour?  Thank you. 

Dear Guest, In light of the recent volcanic eruption that took place on White Island in New Zealand, weve made the decision to cancel all tours that visit an active volcano. In the next 24 hours, you will receive an updated invoice advising of your full refund, which you can expect to see to your original form of payment within 7-10 business days. 

I am sorry to hear that. I agree with the idea of looking into either renting a car to see the park for yourself or booking a private tour.  

b Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.JPG

On 12/14/2019 at 12:31 PM, gerelmx said:

After the last episode, Kīlauea has no longer had lava, the Caldera collapsed and now a water lake has formed in the background. Visiting the park is safe, it is being monitored. During the Eclipse cruise,  we were there on September 29. By canceling the tours, X are avoiding risks.

Wow..looks  much different from when we were there!

On 12/14/2019 at 10:32 AM, cl.klink said:

ok … I'll say it.

- Joel

Yes... It's a bit like a cruise ship tour having a huge crash and burn bus wreck and then saying they won't have any more excursions with bus rides.

We used C Big Island tours in hilo to see volcano national park and we happy with them. Active volcanos change constantly. There's no way to predict in December if that volcano will be safe or unsafe to visit in September. This sweeping a policy is ludicrous. 

• Like 1