Cruise Critic Community
jcu1210

BEst time of year to book

We just got back from our amazing 11 night med cruise, and we are looking for our next cruise. When is the best time to book for best deals and price? We are looking at most likely a shorter Caribbean cruise out of Fl. Thanks!

"Wave Season" (January to March) is typically considered the best time to book, but it is not automatic that you will get your best deal at that time.  An interesting article on this topic can be found at https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=796.

That said, take your time to compare prices, amenities and other cruise details to ensure you are getting a value you consider best for your cruising needs.  Sometimes it pays to wait and watch price fluctuations and reprice your cruise if prices fall after booking, but before final payment.

I find it's like trying to time the stock market - or air fares for that matter.   I would be hesitant to say there is some universal best time to book for the best deals.  And a deal to one person (hurricane season in the Caribbean, first cruise of the season in Alaska) won't be a deal to someone else.    Cabin selection is important to me, as is the time of month and time of year in relation to my job.   So, booking early works for me to get what I want, and prices generally are pretty good a year or so out.  After I book, the price will go up or down depending on how the cruise is filling up, something I have no way of knowing or predicting. 

As the previous poster said, I suggest checking prices for a while to get a sense of the general range for the type of cruise that you are interesting it so that you will recognize a good price when you come across it.  If you have a favored cruise line, sign up for their emailed promotions.    It may be an annoyance to delete all the messages that don't offer anything you are interested in, but you may get the first word on a great sale.  

Good luck in your planning.  

Edited by Joanne G.

The week between Thanksgiving and Christmas when school is still in, people are wrapping budgets for the year, college hasnt let out yet, people have spent too much on travel and gifts for the holiday to cruise.  Usually right around Dec 7-10.  Sometimes a week earlier sometimes later depending on the calendar.

NCL typically doesn’t use Ft Lauderdale.    Miami is their port.   Book when you find an agreeable price.     There is no best.