Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
1st4our25th

What is your favorite deck or cabin to book and why?

Recommended Posts

Just curious what everyone's favorite is and why they like it. Is it different for you depending on the ship or do you always try to book your cabin in the same area no matter what?

 

Hoping to enjoy many cruises in the future. We have our second booked, but it isn't until 2021. I have struggled  when choosing our cabins because I really have no experience. I would love to see what seasoned cruisers have found to be the "best" (in their opinion). 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cove balconies. I love being so close to the water that you can actually hear the ocean. And being on a lower deck is so convenient when it comes to getting back from excursions. You can just walk up a couple flights of stairs instead of dealing with the elevator madness (or climbing 10 flights of stairs). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Cove balconies. I love being so close to the water that you can actually hear the ocean. And being on a lower deck is so convenient when it comes to getting back from excursions. You can just walk up a couple flights of stairs instead of dealing with the elevator madness (or climbing 10 flights of stairs). 

I totally agree. We fell in love with our cove balcony on our cruise. We spent a LOT of time on our balcony. The sun never got in your eyes, close to the water, see to the horizon. Very peaceful and tranquil. Plus being on deck 2, we were very close to our dining room. Never used an elevator to get to dinner.....or sea day brunch.

 

20190728_145048.jpg

20190729_164325.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lido deck.  It's such a convenient deck for us and eliminates the need to use the stairs to go out to the pool area, jogging track, and buffet/Guy's/Blue Iguana.  It's easy to take a cup of coffee or snack back to the cabin and we don't need to use the public restrooms.  Anyway, the lido deck is our favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the Lido deck.  I though it would noisy but my last carnival cruise I booked last minutes and there where only two balconies left on the whole ship and both were on the Lido.  I loved the location and try to book it when ever possible because it is just so convenient.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aft-wrap Suite  balconies on the Spirit Class ships (Legend, Pride).  220 sq ft balcony!!

 

Karen

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lido deck balcony room. Starboard side.

 

Balcony provides privacy, fresh air, and natural light on demand. Lido deck to be close to food and deck activities like dive in movies,  deck parties, etc. Starboard because the ship docks on that side most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1st4our25th said:

Just curious what everyone's favorite is and why they like it. Is it different for you depending on the ship or do you always try to book your cabin in the same area no matter what?

 

Hoping to enjoy many cruises in the future. We have our second booked, but it isn't until 2021. I have struggled  when choosing our cabins because I really have no experience. I would love to see what seasoned cruisers have found to be the "best" (in their opinion). 😊

Hi,

It totally depends on the ship, itinerary, length of the cruise, number of people in my group...

Some ships are so good that by booking a cheapest cabin you get a ticket to cruising paradise. On the other end, an enjoyable cruising experience on some ships require a certain minimum of cabin quality.

So... no favorites...

Happy cruising!

Edited by ronbe65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We too are Cove fans, for all of the previous cited reasons. On the Spirit Class ships we love the "bowling alley" balcony -- 2 ft deeper and 2 to 3 times longer than a regular balcony  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jlabs03 said:

I second the Lido deck.  I though it would noisy but my last carnival cruise I booked last minutes and there where only two balconies left on the whole ship and both were on the Lido.  I loved the location and try to book it when ever possible because it is just so convenient.  

I was worried about the noise too, but decided to try out lido for our next cruise. So close to everything, but the main reason was because there were no balcony and interior rooms showing available directly across from one another on deck 7. My husband wanted deck 7 since he liked it on our previous cruise. I hope we love it too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Hi,

It totally depends on the ship, itinerary, length of the cruise, number of people in my group...

Some ships are so good that by booking a cheapest cabin you get a ticket to cruising paradise. On the other end, an enjoyable cruising experience on some ships require a certain minimum of cabin quality.

So... no favorites...

Happy cruising!

Do tell the names of some of these great ships 😊. We are just getting started with our cruise addiction and I would love to  know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Dream class ships, Spa balcony cabin because of the thermal suite.

 

On any other ship, or if we can't get a Spa balcony on Dream class, then a Lido deck balcony. We love the convenience to the pool and dining options.

 

We're making an exception with our next cruise with an aft balcony. It's for Alaska, so we want to spend a lot of time on the balcony with the ability to retreat quickly and often into a warm cabin, plus we don't want to be limited to only seeing what's on one side of the ship.

Edited by SRQbeachgirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tandemcruzr said:

We too are Cove fans, for all of the previous cited reasons. On the Spirit Class ships we love the "bowling alley" balcony -- 2 ft deeper and 2 to 3 times longer than a regular balcony  

Might need to check these out. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We generally book Riviera deck or deck 2 porthole. It suits our  budget, we don't spend much time in our room, so a porthole, or occasionally an ocean view window is perfect for us. I also like using the stairs for exercise instead of taking the elevators up to the Lido or  the track to work off some of the extra indulgences too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mikenbon said:

We generally book Riviera deck or deck 2 porthole. It suits our  budget, we don't spend much time in our room, so a porthole, or occasionally an ocean view window is perfect for us. I also like using the stairs for exercise instead of taking the elevators up to the Lido or  the track to work off some of the extra indulgences too.

 

39 minutes ago, mikenbon said:

We generally book Riviera deck or deck 2 porthole. It suits our  budget, we don't spend much time in our room, so a porthole, or occasionally an ocean view window is perfect for us. I also like using the stairs for exercise instead of taking the elevators up to the Lido or  the track to work off some of the extra indulgences too.

OV Riviera deck  forward, a few cabins from the elevators ( no elevator noise )is our favorite. We are never in the cabin long enough to get use out of a balcony. Only book balconies on special occasions, like Alaska. Draw back is riding the elevators all the time. Small advantage is your one deck above where you leave the ship on port days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tandemcruzr said:

We too are Cove fans, for all of the previous cited reasons. On the Spirit Class ships we love the "bowling alley" balcony -- 2 ft deeper and 2 to 3 times longer than a regular balcony  

I agree on the "bowling alley" balconies. We had one in September on the Pride. Managed to book the same cabin but on the Legend in May.

 

Karen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Spirit Class ships we book a balcony cabin near the glass elevators on deck 5, 6 or 7.  Convenient to everything and quiet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#1 ~ Aft wrap Suite on Spirit Class ships any deck but 5. Deck 5 are one room suites.
Deck 4 and higher are true two room suites. 
The balconies get smaller as you go higher but still huge even up top.

It’s because the slant of the glass gets steeper on the way up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our first cruise was an ocean view on the Riviera deck.  Second was a balcony on the Empress Deck.  Third, we booked a balcony on the Empress Deck but was upgraded to the Panorama Deck.  From then on, it's been a balcony on the Panorama Deck (or one deck above the Lido because they don't call it the Panorama Deck on the Vista Class.)

 

We like that deck because it's close to everything that we enjoy doing and there is very little foot traffic because that deck is shorter than most and there is great views from up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We usually book balconies at the front of the ship on the second highest deck level. I made the “mistake” of booking a balcony on the highest level possible and quickly learned people on the deck above you can easily look down on your balcony. Plus these balconies get direct sunlight most of the day since there is nothing above them providing any shade. Of course this could also be a positive if you like being in the sun all day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Empress deck or higher and front for location very convenient to everything. Last cruise we booked a Spa cabin 

and will probably book these more on cruises that the thermal suites are only available to those booked in a spa cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

For Dream class ships, Spa balcony cabin because of the thermal suite.

 

On any other ship, or if we can't get a Spa balcony on Dream class, then a Lido deck balcony. We love the convenience to the pool and dining options.

 

We're making an exception with our next cruise with an aft balcony. It's for Alaska, so we want to spend a lot of time on the balcony with the ability to retreat quickly and often into a warm cabin, plus we don't want to be limited to only seeing what's on one side of the ship.

I agree with this Sap  Cabins on the The Dream ,Magic and Breeze can't be beat  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aft Wrap 7 On Vista and Horizon.

Like to see where we are going and where I have been.

Same cabin 7459 ( Home away from Home).

 

Also overlooking the Havana area is nice.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...