Impressions from first time Crystal cruiser

1 hour ago, Tarwood3 said:

Hi there....Crystal’s smallest room is 207 sq ft, and Silversea Muse, their largest ship so closes in size to Symphony, has a 334sq ft vista suite as their smallest room...so if I’m comparing suite size apple for apple....the itinerary I was looking at for $22k is very steep in comparison to a similar on SS.  We have a spreadsheet off all the cruises we have done that breaks down cruise cost, excursions , what we spent onboard , total vacation cost of it ..etc...and so we have a per day amount that we have spent so we can compare the value of a particular cruise (even comparing on same line) but also comparing to other lines and ships to see if it’s really worth it for us to book it.  So $1700 Is on the steep end for a non expedition ship in just a normal size suite.  Hope that clarifies what I was trying to say.  Of course there are deals and steals on every line...but we dont book last minute, we are planners and book 1-2 yrs out ....

Understood. But for someone like me who doesn't care about cabin size, Crystal entry level cabins are much cheaper than SS or SB. I understand it's not exactly apples to apples, but still.. This is why as @Keith1010mentioned there are choices - things that are important to you might not be important to me and vice versa.

And we are planning 1-2 years out as well. We are not loyal to any specific line and like to try new ships. I tried to look at SS and SB and find anything that comes even close to Crystal entry level cabins pricing, on any ship. Nothing.

As for the ship age - in my opinion, once you are on the Symphony, you cannot really tell its age.

56 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

Oh and regarding internet....I think Crystal has to give it for free because it was so terrible.  It went down A LOT and for long periods.  So many were complaining.  I thought maybe because it was an older ship and they just cant provide the most modern technology?? I was told later by an avid Crystal cruiser that is currently on Symphony that Crystal changed providers and now it is more problematic. I also have a friend who is a crewmember and he said it’s really bad....even worse for the crew.  If they charged for it, I’m sure it would create a lot of complaints..so best to give it for free....which is why I didnt say anything about it in my review, since it was free and I was happy about that.  

Yes, it was down few times, but when it was working, it was decent. And I don't think it's relevant. I have seen many complaints on Seabourn board about internet, and they charge for it. Azamara also charges for Internet, and it was terrible on our cruise on the Pursuit. Princess internet was the best we have experienced on sea, and they charge much less than Celebrity. So there is not always a direct relationship between the cost and the quality in this case.

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Understood. But for someone like me who doesn't care about cabin size, Crystal entry level cabins are much cheaper than SS or SB. I understand it's not exactly apples to apples, but still.. This is why as @Keith1010mentioned there are choices - things that are important to you might not be important to me and vice versa.

And we are planning 1-2 years out as well. We are not loyal to any specific line and like to try new ships. I tried to look at SS and SB and find anything that comes even close to Crystal entry level cabins pricing, on any ship. Nothing.

As for the ship age - in my opinion, once you are on the Symphony, you cannot really tell its age.

Yes, it was down few times, but when it was working, it was decent. And I don't think it's relevant. I have seen many complaints on Seabourn board about internet, and they charge for it. Azamara also charges for Internet, and it was terrible on our cruise on the Pursuit. Princess internet was the best we have experienced on sea, and they charge much less than Celebrity. So there is not always a direct relationship between the cost and the quality in this case.

Good morning! Yes, in your case.....this would be an advantage , having a smaller suite and price point to choose from on Crystal! I totally get it..... I see some very good deals on Seabourn for cruises within a year...definitely at the price point you are talking but again, if you are planners like us, that wouldn’t really matter...lol..but they do exist.  Anyway, glad you enjoy Crystal...we do like them...we just missed a few things ...  I wasnt trying to be mean...but just comparing to what other ships have.  There are always so many people like us that like to sample...so it can be helpful to some or completely immaterial to others which is fine.  Our internet has always been included on Celebrity (suite class) and SS... It seems every line is trying to figure out what the magic combination of things is and I dont think they will ever find it since everyone has different priorities.  We LOVE Regent but we like to do a mix of our own excursions and ships excursions..so they are too inclusive for our tastes...I dont want to pay for excursions I’m not going to use...so we rarely do them. 

There was a "lot" more outdoor dining drinks, etc on the ships before the last refit to add to number of "real" dining areas to take burden off MDR with open seating.  I would think that many people (me included) would complain if there was always music playing in the pool area - I don't go there to be entertained but to sit relax,swim and have conversations.

But as many have said each has there own wishes and desires from a cruise or any other type of vacation.

Thanks Keith! Always appreciate your kindness and information on here! If you havent tried Esprit, you must!! Sensational!

Thank you Tarwood3.

I do hope we get to try Esprit as I am sure we would enjoy it.

We enjoyed two cruises we took on the Seabourn Pride and something that came very close in its own special way was sailing Crystal Mozart.  LIke most things there are pluses and minuses. The intimacy was very nice which was a plus.  On the other hand less dining venue and smaller fitness facilities.

We also would like to sail Endeavor.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

29 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

Good morning! Yes, in your case.....this would be an advantage , having a smaller suite and price point to choose from on Crystal! I totally get it..... I see some very good deals on Seabourn for cruises within a year...definitely at the price point you are talking but again, if you are planners like us, that wouldn’t really matter...lol..but they do exist.  Anyway, glad you enjoy Crystal...we do like them...we just missed a few things ...  I wasnt trying to be mean...but just comparing to what other ships have.  There are always so many people like us that like to sample...so it can be helpful to some or completely immaterial to others which is fine.  Our internet has always been included on Celebrity (suite class) and SS... It seems every line is trying to figure out what the magic combination of things is and I dont think they will ever find it since everyone has different priorities.  We LOVE Regent but we like to do a mix of our own excursions and ships excursions..so they are too inclusive for our tastes...I dont want to pay for excursions I’m not going to use...so we rarely do them. 

I appreciate your review very much - it's always good to have a different perspective, especially from someone who was on the same cruise. No line will ever be perfect, we just need to find something that works for us and is as close to perfect as possible for us.

4 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

Yes, we dont care, but part of making observations is saying what is different from another brand...some people care about these things that might be looking at trying Crystal from xyz cruise line and want to know how they compare...so there you go...

Tarwood, I appreciate your sharing your thoughts, and it was very nice to read. 

The most interesting thing to me was that a lot of the points you prefer were things that Crystal did once upon a time...  Like the buffets by the pool, pool bar, more music by the pool and canned music.  A lot of these things evolved, some of them out of direct customer feedback and others to help accommodate other passenger-requested initiatives, but either way you're right they create a difference in the products now that's worth people understanding.

It's interesting that the Bistro can't do boozy coffee drinks -- admittedly I haven't tried to order one there before, but I agree that's not an unrealistic expectation.  The funny thing is that the service in the Bistro had been assigned once upon a time to the sommelier department (instead of the dining staff) because of the wine and alcohol component, though it's never had a full bar.  It's weird you can get more booze on your ice cream than in your coffee at those respective facilities though.

Vince

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Thank you Tarwood3.

I do hope we get to try Esprit as I am sure we would enjoy it.

We enjoyed two cruises we took on the Seabourn Pride and something that came very close in its own special way was sailing Crystal Mozart.  LIke most things there are pluses and minuses. The intimacy was very nice which was a plus.  On the other hand less dining venue and smaller fitness facilities.

We also would like to sail Endeavor.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

Impossible to think you wouldn't enjoy it, Keith! (not with your attitude to life)

However, you might not LOVE it - and you might just find that there were sufficient other pax who live life differently and who might be difficult to keep a sufficient distance from..... That would be be my slight worry about Esprit. (and I like to think I get on with most people!) But what fun to charter the whole ship....🤪

By the way - wonderful to see that you have a new trip starting. Enjoy! 

4 hours ago, ctjon said:

There was a "lot" more outdoor dining drinks, etc on the ships before the last refit to add to number of "real" dining areas to take burden off MDR with open seating.  I would think that many people (me included) would complain if there was always music playing in the pool area - I don't go there to be entertained but to sit relax,swim and have conversations.

But as many have said each has there own wishes and desires from a cruise or any other type of vacation.

The music on SB and SS is softly playing and it’s pleasant ...it’s not a Carnival cruise after all...and the average age is about the same as Crystal and everyone seems to enjoy it...anyway, to each his/her own.....not a debate, just an observation I had..

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

Tarwood, I appreciate your sharing your thoughts, and it was very nice to read. 

The most interesting thing to me was that a lot of the points you prefer were things that Crystal did once upon a time...  Like the buffets by the pool, pool bar, more music by the pool and canned music.  A lot of these things evolved, some of them out of direct customer feedback and others to help accommodate other passenger-requested initiatives, but either way you're right they create a difference in the products now that's worth people understanding.

It's interesting that the Bistro can't do boozy coffee drinks -- admittedly I haven't tried to order one there before, but I agree that's not an unrealistic expectation.  The funny thing is that the service in the Bistro had been assigned once upon a time to the sommelier department (instead of the dining staff) because of the wine and alcohol component, though it's never had a full bar.  It's weird you can get more booze on your ice cream than in your coffee at those respective facilities though.

Vince

Now that you mention it, someone did say something about things being removed after the re fit...interesting..  Anyway, yes I noticed one of our fav sommeliers being the barista on a couple afternoons.   Hopefully it will change and the Bistro will expand their offerings....even if they dont get boozy drinks, they need a better variety of coffee drinks.  

4 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I appreciate your review very much - it's always good to have a different perspective, especially from someone who was on the same cruise. No line will ever be perfect, we just need to find something that works for us and is as close to perfect as possible for us.

Couldn’t have said it better myself!!

1 hour ago, Noggins said:

Impossible to think you wouldn't enjoy it, Keith! (not with your attitude to life)

However, you might not LOVE it - and you might just find that there were sufficient other pax who live life differently and who might be difficult to keep a sufficient distance from..... That would be be my slight worry about Esprit. (and I like to think I get on with most people!) But what fun to charter the whole ship....🤪

Well, I was worried about being trapped with people I didnt care for too...but it was fine.. never felt that way.  I’m a bit of an introvert and often times , just want some peace and quiet out on deck without always having to chat to randoms...but it was a non issue...

although ..it is interesting way you phrased it “.. pax who live life differently  and who might be difficult to keep a distance from...” ....hmm...perhaps I’m that kind of person you are looking to keep a distance from....!...lol 

5 hours ago, ctjon said:

There was a "lot" more outdoor dining drinks, etc on the ships before the last refit to add to number of "real" dining areas to take burden off MDR with open seating

That’s a new one....

What were they? 

I can’t think of one outdoor bar or dining facility removed from either ship in the last 5 years (Tastes wasn’t really outdoor)

17 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

Now that you mention it, someone did say something about things being removed after the re fit...interesting..  Anyway, yes I noticed one of our fav sommeliers being the barista on a couple afternoons.   Hopefully it will change and the Bistro will expand their offerings....even if they dont get boozy drinks, they need a better variety of coffee drinks.  

Could you please give me an example of non-alcohol coffee drinks Crystal doesn't offer? Maybe I'm just boring, but I've never asked anything that they don't offer. 🤓😳😎

Patty

1 minute ago, Texas Tillie said:

Could you please give me an example of non-alcohol coffee drinks Crystal doesn't offer? Maybe I'm just boring, but I've never asked anything that they don't offer. 

Agreed - this line about no Specialty Coffees being available in the Bistro just isn’t correct. I can’t recall if they’re listed on the menu but they’re certainly available - just as trying out the range of All Inclusive wines is a nice leisurely option in the Bistro 

Well, I was worried about being trapped with people I didnt care for too...but it was fine.. never felt that way.  I’m a bit of an introvert and often times , just want some peace and quiet out on deck without always having to chat to randoms...but it was a non issue...

although ..it is interesting way you phrased it “.. pax who live life differently  and who might be difficult to keep a distance from...” ....hmm...perhaps I’m that kind of person you are looking to keep a distance from....!...lol 

No, I really don't think that's the case. And I'm a pretty good judge of these things.....!

menu from Bistro on Serenity

image.thumb.png.fa46183927954e39191a590eef2e87d3.png

The Crystal Cove  had a  selection of boozy coffees 

A  funny story

Our 1st night onboard the lady  we dined with ask for an Irish coffee

waiter had no idea  what it was

he got another waiter ..no idea either

the sommelier came  & said he would have to go to the other side of the ship to get one ..OK

the lady then asked if maybe they could just bring some Kahlua for her to put in her coffee

after much hemming & hawing  they brought her a glass of Kahlua

After dinner we went to the Cove  & discovered the Irish coffee on the menu 

what is it  100 feet from Waterside 😲  but it was too much trouble to get her an Irish coffee

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

the lady then asked if maybe they could just bring some Kahlua for her to put in her coffee

what is it  100 feet from Waterside 😲  but it was too much trouble to get her an Irish coffee

Where do you think they got the Kahlua from?

I’m pretty sure any cocktails or spirits ordered in Waterside come from the Cove bar 

It just sounds like the waiter didn’t know what a Irish Coffee was - unusual but not unheard of

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Could you please give me an example of non-alcohol coffee drinks Crystal doesn't offer? Maybe I'm just boring, but I've never asked anything that they don't offer. 🤓😳😎

Patty

When I brought it up , i was talking about not being able to get boozy coffee drinks in the Bistro like other cruise lines. Not that the drink couldn’t be had somewhere else in ship 

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Agreed - this line about no Specialty Coffees being available in the Bistro just isn’t correct. I can’t recall if they’re listed on the menu but they’re certainly available - just as trying out the range of All Inclusive wines is a nice leisurely option in the Bistro 

Well I was told no when i asked ... i was told to go to one of the bars. But if it’s the middle of the afternoon and I want a snack and a specialty coffee in the Bistro , it should be available. I think my original post has been taken out of context somewhere along the line 

2 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

Well I was told no when i asked ... i was told to go to one of the bars. But if it’s the middle of the afternoon and I want a snack and a specialty coffee in the Bistro , it should be available

I can only put it down to a misunderstanding with the wait staff - I’ll definitely “test” it when we’re on next month 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

menu from Bistro on Serenity

image.thumb.png.fa46183927954e39191a590eef2e87d3.png

The Crystal Cove  had a  selection of boozy coffees 

A  funny story

Our 1st night onboard the lady  we dined with ask for an Irish coffee

waiter had no idea  what it was

he got another waiter ..no idea either

the sommelier came  & said he would have to go to the other side of the ship to get one ..OK

Yep that’s the same menu on Symphony. It’s not very extensive. And no fun coffees. Oh well. We survived. No big deal 

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I can only put it down to a misunderstanding with the wait staff - I’ll definitely “test” it when we’re on next month 

Yes please let me know. I know someone on the cruise right after ours and she encountered the same thing .. 

3 hours ago, Noggins said:

Adrian, as usual you have made very good points to consider about  Esprit.

Thank you for the good wishes.  We are very excited to start a new journey.

Happy Holidays.

Keith