Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
iamwiz82

Nieuw Amsterdam - December 14th - Azipod failure

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It’s already been reported that sailaway will be 22.22

 

Roy

Like I said ship is still in Port Everglades. I'm not sure why you made 22.22 departure comment I wasn't asking that.

 

 

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I also feel bad for the crew.  I’m sure they are under a lot of pressure and some guests will remove tips etc.  others may not tip extra because of this incident.  They depend on this income.

 

Seriously??? If they cancel the cruise (which seems very possible at this point), people are going to get their money back and there will be no tips from anyone. I'd have to imagine that HAL has a mechanism to make the employees whole in situations like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, expectGREATthings said:

Like I said ship is still in Port Everglades. I'm not sure why you made 22.22 departure comment I wasn't asking that.

 

Michael

 

Does it matter at this point? I think that must be the time format they use when they don't know the actual time. When I looked early this morning it was showing 11:11 Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

 

Seriously??? If they cancel the cruise (which seems very possible at this point), people are going to get their money back and there will be no tips from anyone. I'd have to imagine that HAL has a mechanism to make the employees whole in situations like that.

Yes, I’m serious.  There are many who tip above the standard HSC charge.  How could HAL compensate for that unknown factor?  Around the holidays many are more generous than usual.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AvalonLady said:

I wonder what the cruise director will do to entertain them today. Frankly there's only two comedians and six dancers on board for the main stage shows; for a seven day cruise, HAL does not give you much "bang for the buck" when it comes to shows. This was our first HAL cruise, and from now on we are sticking with Princess and RCI. The service was great, however.

 

Given that the only thing the CD (who isn't really a CD anymore) can offer is more trivia. They have no real activities on HAL anymore. Maybe (s)he could give destination talks about ports the ship wasn't going to visit. Bring out the Music Walk entertainers for extra shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AvalonLady said:

We just got off the ship this morning; it was only a few minutes late coming in, but rumor is that the ship hit a whale yesterday ! There was definitely a loud noise on board. I hope it was some other technical issue and not a whale.  I also hope this next sailing has better luck with the Grand Turk stop than we did - the captain had to skip the port because of high winds, so we had an extra day at sea instead.

If the ship struck a whale, no one would have heard or felt anything.  Whales weigh nothing compared to a ship.

 

Ships carry spare parts, but just like your local service station, or car dealer, not every part is stocked.  Those that historically have a low failure rate are not stocked, especially if it is a high dollar part.  Rule of thumb is that if a part is on the shelf for over a year, you are losing money (this goes for any industry).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If the ship struck a whale, no one would have heard or felt anything.  Whales weigh nothing compared to a ship.

 

Ships carry spare parts, but just like your local service station, or car dealer, not every part is stocked.  Those that historically have a low failure rate are not stocked, especially if it is a high dollar part.  Rule of thumb is that if a part is on the shelf for over a year, you are losing money (this goes for any industry).

Chief, a couple of questions.

 

It sounds like the azipod is out of service for some time.  How much of a problem would it be for the ship to sail several cruises on one azipod?  I'm pretty sure you have said that the majority of ocean shipping sails with just one propeller.  Is it that big a problem for a cruise ship?

 

When major repairs are required, how possible would it be to get it done somewhere on this side of the Atlantic in a reasonable time frame?

 

Thanks.

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If the ship struck a whale, no one would have heard or felt anything.  Whales weigh nothing compared to a ship.

 

 

 

I am so glad to know this ! I hated the idea of a whale being hurt by the ship.

During the "Ask the Captain" session on board last week, someone asked him if he had ever had any significant problems while being in charge of a ship. He said he had not, in the 7 years he'd been a captain. Talk about timing !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AvalonLady said:

 

I am so glad to know this ! I hated the idea of a whale being hurt by the ship.

During the "Ask the Captain" session on board last week, someone asked him if he had ever had any significant problems while being in charge of a ship. He said he had not, in the 7 years he'd been a captain. Talk about timing !

I would suspect the would have lift the ship out of the water at Freeport in the Bahamas to make the repair.  That Isa guess on my part

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Chief, a couple of questions.

 

It sounds like the azipod is out of service for some time.  How much of a problem would it be for the ship to sail several cruises on one azipod?  I'm pretty sure you have said that the majority of ocean shipping sails with just one propeller.  Is it that big a problem for a cruise ship?

 

When major repairs are required, how possible would it be to get it done somewhere on this side of the Atlantic in a reasonable time frame?

 

Thanks.

 

Roy

 

Roy, Oosterdam did it (sail with drastically reduced power on her port-side pod) during her 2006/2007 Mexican Riviera season; it did affect port times in Mexico

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, iamwiz82 said:

They are cancelling the cruise

Oh my...how disappointing for all on board.  So sorry to hear this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

 

Seriously??? If they cancel the cruise (which seems very possible at this point), people are going to get their money back and there will be no tips from anyone. I'd have to imagine that HAL has a mechanism to make the employees whole in situations like that.

WHAT in the world do   mechanical disrupfions have t o do with itips for those  crew members whom we alwaya tip?  I am  struggling hard to find even a tiny  connection and am faoi;ong miserably. WHo W would think  to connect

 a cabin or dinings teward to a delay in sailing? 

 

YeS,  HAL will  respond  and react approprigtaely to total loss of tips due to a ccancellation

ruise. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh how disappointing for all onboard! I think it’s gotta be the worst to “use” your plane tickets to get there only to have the cruise canceled. Sure you’ll get some cruise compensation, but some will lose considerable money on plane tickets. Good luck to all onboard! Oh, and what about those doing a B2B for Christmas???

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh seeing this makes me sick. Nieuw A is our ship as mom and I started our 32 years of cruising with HAL on the old one. We are preparing for our departure for the Holidays sailing next Sunday the 22nd on Nieuw Statendam. For Nieuw A this unfortunately sounds like a situation that is requiring a drydock ASAP to fix. So with everything that it will take for doing this and the time it could effect her holiday cruises and maybe more after that. Yeah this certainly stinks for everyone who are booked to sail on her. One thing that HAL would maybe do is to offer to move these people to other ships sailing those weeks from Port Everglades. To go with it would probably help with flight and hotels too. It may not be the itineraries people want but they would still be able to cruise. For us our first week we actually only have 3 ports because we are going down to Aruba and Curacao. 3rd is HMC. So see what happens as so much is involved for so many people to do this. I know how Samanthac25 feels as mom and I cruise for the holidays and have now going on for 32 years on sunday for the same reasons as we have no family where we live too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Oh how disappointing for all onboard! I think it’s gotta be the worst to “use” your plane tickets to get there only to have the cruise canceled. Sure you’ll get some cruise compensation, but some will lose considerable money on plane tickets. Good luck to all onboard! Oh, and what about those doing a B2B for Christmas???

 

Yes, for those who did not book cancellation insurance, I would think it will be a financial hit for some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, iamwiz82 said:

They are cancelling the cruise

 

OMG - I feel so badly for everyone on board.  So disappointing and what a mess, now.

 

I can’t imagine the nightmare trying to get new flights and/or hotels at this time of year.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How distressing for everyone involved - it isn't the way you want to take/use your vacation time, I'm sure. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a disappointment but I hope they can get here back on line for nest weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...