Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
LukeyC

Cozumel 3 Reef Snorkeling Excursion

Hi!  We got back from our Cozumel cruise (Royal Caribbean) a few days ago.  We did the 3 Reef Snorkeling Excursion.  It was amazing!  I highly recommend it!  Here are some details so people might know what to expect if they want to go on it:

We got off the boat and reported to a man under a sign that said the name of the excursion.  He instructed us to wait by Margaritaville.  We stood there for about 25-30 minutes before we were able to go on the excursion. We walked a short distance (equivalent of a residential block or two) past many shops to the pier.  Before we got on the boat, the guy in charge told us that he didn't care what KIND of sunscreen we used, but if we hadn't already applied it, we had to do it then and there because we were not allowed to do any on the boat--even reef safe sunscreen.  I had gotten a lot of reef safe sunscreen in preparation for this outing, so I was disappointed not to be able to reapply as needed since it was a very sunny day.  So we got on the boat.  There was plenty of room for everyone.  We drove a very short way to the first reef.  (To be honest, the 3 reefs we visited were fairly close to one another, and we could see our ship the whole time we snorkeled!)  The first reef was shallow with tons of little fish.  It was so fun once I got the hang of it. (This was my first time snorkeling.  At first, I kept treading water, but then I just relaxed and then I enjoyed things so much more!)  The second was medium depth, and the third reef was the deepest.  There was a photographer there to take pics of us.  They were reasonably priced.  They sent a digital file that had 6-8 pictures plus bonus pictures, and the price was $30 for those.  The purchase was optional.  We chose to buy them because I had a waterproof camera and was unsure of the picture quality.  On the boat, the photographer had a laptop and showed us the ones he took.  The quality was excellent, so we went for it!  Anyhow--we saw so many different fish.  Angel fish, eels, a lobster, a starfish, little curious ones that would come right up to you, ones with yellow stripes, ones as big as a dinner plate that were flat and blue...oh-and at the third reef (the deepest) a freaking barracuda swam right underneath me! 10 feet under!  It was awesome!  A puffer fish swam 15 feet under me!  After the first reef, a man came by and put this milky looking stuff into everyone's snorkel masks then dumped water over that.  He did not do that to mine, because I declined it.  It's noteworthy that the other 2 people that were with me had a lot of fogging after this, but I did not, so maybe it's better to decline the milky concoction? Anyhow- This excursion was so amazing and wonderful!  We are looking forward to our next snorkeling adventure!