Personal meds brought to Dubai

Mckwonghie

I will be flying to Dubai from Canada to begin a cruise in the New Year with Celebrity. I applied for permission to bring my prescription medication via MOHAP online and just received notice of a rejection despite having my Dr writing a report and prescription which was included with the application. They did not give any explanation as to the reason just that the application has been rejected. Now I am not sure what I should do as I do need these medications on my cruise?Can I reapply again?

Has any one had this problem entering Dubai? I only plan to have a 30 day supply to take with me. 

Have you read this thread on the POC forum? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2602081-medication-rulesdubai/

There are also a couple of older threads on the subject there, as well as on the Dubai TripAdvisor forum.

We were in the UAE for several days before our cruise last Jan and had no problems with Immigration and Customs over the meds I brought with me. I did have both a doctor's letter and a copy of the prescriptions for those drugs on the controlled list. You don't need either of those if the drug isn't on the list. The meds should be in their original containers. As long as none of the drugs are prohibited, and you're only bringing enough for personal use on your trip, you should be fine.

I'm not sure why you went down the 'apply to import drugs online' route as for tourists/short stay visitors arriving into the UAE with any drugs/medication that are on the controlled list here all that is required is that you carry the item(s) in its original packaging and with accompanying prescription, and doctor's letter if required, in case you are asked if you have anything with you during the entry procedures... Having never used the online option, or know anyone else who has, I have no idea why your application was rejected if the item and quantities conformed to requirements.  If nothing you intend to carry with you is prohibited then I'd just follow the normal entry procedures for controlled drugs and carry them and any supporting documentation with you and keep them to hand (handbag, back pack, etc.) in the unlikely event you get spot checked upon arrival... The authorities are not looking for, or interested in, people entering the country with small amounts of prescribed medication for personal use during their stay, they are only interested if the quantities are clearly more than for personal use during a short stay!!!!!

Anne...

I was under the impression that all visitors to the UAE needed to apply for permission to import controlled  meds after having read several UK articles about these requirements.

I found out that this is not the case after all. You are correct. Thank you for your reply.