Jump to content

Extended aft balcony.....huge disappointment


Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Lol, animals?  Best rooms in the fleet, the only”animals”  that can walk by are your neighbors that also booked a HC room

 

Jimbo, I read that comment as the occupants of the aft cabin felt like they were "the animals in the zoo" as other pax walked by them.

 

Anyway, we had an aft balcony once on the Magic, and hardly used it due to lack of shade and broiling hot temps.  I can understand how someone would burn easily.

 

One of the best balconies we ever had was one just off the hump on Celebrity Equinox, it measured 15 feet deep and had a mixture of sun and shade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, quickrate said:

That still doesn't negate the fact that there is no privacy on the Havana balcony's which is exactly why we will never book them. We use our balconies a lot, it's where we go when we want privacy and no socializing with our neighbors. We get plenty of social time when out and about the ship. I realize for many people they love these cabins. To each their own.

Pat

agree

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, evandbob said:

 

Jimbo, I read that comment as the occupants of the aft cabin felt like they were "the animals in the zoo" as other pax walked by them.

 

Anyway, we had an aft balcony once on the Magic, and hardly used it due to lack of shade and broiling hot temps.  I can understand how someone would burn easily.

 

One of the best balconies we ever had was one just off the hump on Celebrity Equinox, it measured 15 feet deep and had a mixture of sun and shade.

Got it.  I love spending time on our balconies and can agree on the sun aspect of an aft, that said from a balcony perspective the aft wraps are great

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, quickrate said:

That still doesn't negate the fact that there is no privacy on the Havana balcony's which is exactly why we will never book them. We use our balconies a lot, it's where we go when we want privacy and no socializing with our neighbors. We get plenty of social time when out and about the ship. I realize for many people they love these cabins. To each their own.

Pat

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by sanmarcosman
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 7:00 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Lol, animals?  Best rooms in the fleet, the only”animals”  that can walk by are your neighbors that also booked a HC room

 

 

Not referring to other cruisers as animals- just saying I would feel like I was on display in a little box to passers by.  Not for me no matter how “best” they are considered.  🙂  I like having a balcony, but I love it most when I have had enough of being around people and need a break.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having neighbors talking past us would bother me as well.  I have had aft extended balconies on deck 8 for most of my Dream cruises and have never had a problem.  It is true that the divider partition is slanted at the end, however, the balcony is pretty deep and if you sit a little further back, no one can see you without craning their neck around the partition.

 

To be honest, we really don't spend much time on the balcony.  For my wife and I, the benefit of the aft extended balcony rooms are the fact that the room is about 4 feet longer on the inside than the average room and there is almost zero foot traffic walking past.  To me, having loud talkers and door slammers near the stateroom is the worst.

 

Happy cruising!

Brad

Link to post
Share on other sites

The best balcony on a Carnival ships is on the conquest style ships is their owners suite. They are covered and have 2 lounge chairs and a Table with 4 chairs. Some of the side balconies can see you when you’re standing but not when you’re sitting down. No accidents from above and the bridge is below. I sailed on the Conquest and the Victory and loved every minute of that suite.  

8B1EF3F3-D9C4-4AAC-BF68-579926FB99D8.jpeg

C674164E-AF84-4C60-A4A1-20B78BB97018.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 10:22 PM, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

That is a neighbor issue not really a Balcony issue? I mean I am sure they were just trying to be friendly. 

They also may have not been aware that they were noisy.  Sometimes a polite, non-belligerent reminder can go a  long way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pjhootch said:

 

 

Not referring to other cruisers as animals- just saying I would feel like I was on display in a little box to passers by.  Not for me no matter how “best” they are considered.  🙂  I like having a balcony, but I love it most when I have had enough of being around people and need a break.

Understand, fair enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

But you aren't paying a premium price for those cabins. That would make a difference to me.

Agree to disagree.  Any time you are paying for a cruise, you could argue that you are paying a premium price. I mean, there are good sales but to suggest that either paying for a cruise is chump change or that if you pay less you should expect less is kinda elitist.  Besides that, they were talking about interior doors, not strictly interior cabins, and all rooms, even the "premium" ones have interior doors...

 

Edited by topofE
clarity
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, topofE said:

Agree to disagree.  Any time you are paying for a cruise, you could argue that you are paying a premium price. I mean, there are good sales but to suggest that either paying for a cruise is chump change or that if you pay less you should expect less is kinda elitist.  Besides that, they were talking about interior doors, not strictly interior cabins, and all rooms, even the "premium" ones have interior doors...

 

The more I pay for something the less tolerant I become toward any dissatisfiers in the product/experience. If you pay less you should expect less, that's why you're paying less. I wouldn't expect the same level of service at Applebee's that I would expect from Ruth Chris.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have chosen aft balconies for our last 4 cruises and loved them.  You are right about the privacy thing though.  I always get the one just beside the wrap around as they are a bit bigger (on the deck just below the lido) and then you only have one neighbour to contend with.  Most of the time we have had very quiet neighbours so I've been lucky.  I always feel bad for the people below because they have no privacy from above as well as I can see right into their balcony.  That is something you should consider as well if you are looking for privacy. 

 

We have booked our next cruise on the Panorama but a side balcony as all of the aft balconies were Havana balconies.  I haven't been on a side balcony in a few years so I am sure I will appreciate the privacy but will miss my lounger!  It's all good though as I am on a cruise!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...