Jump to content

Missed Call At Port Canaveral On The Bliss


Sean87
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ya I was tracking it too and wondered what happened?  I guess there's a multitude of things that could have called for it to miss. I just thought it was strange that it seems to be going at such a slow speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

Oh ugh. Skip Port Canaveral! 

The weather coming out of NYC was not fun at all.

 

In Port Canaveral, you can dock   GSC you have to tender-- may still not be clam enough waters to tender.  I have not checked the web cam or tomorrow's forecast in awhile. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Currently on the Gem, we sailed at 5 pm leaving the Bliss behind at Pier 88 on Friday.  Captain advised all to expect rough seas heading toward Cape Hatteras on Saturday morning, seas were choppy Friday night but nothing bad, waves at 12' to 15' in the morning with fog & rain continuing, but once we sailed thru the front around Cape Lookout, waves down to 8 to 12' and temp in 60's as sun came out and we sailed close along the shorelines until Georgia, just 1 hour late in not clearing the gangway until 1 pm. 

 

Unless the Bliss left really, really late - they could've made it BUT would be 3 or 4 pm.  We're going 23 to almost 24 knots at times.

 

Coming back from Disney Springs now, terminal signs still showing the Bliss on the Basin near us, T-10.  Well, both ships here all day tomorrow - it's better with all day vs. 6 to 8 hours to head to theme parks ... traffic was mad 😠 heavy on I-4.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, www3traveler said:

 

In Port Canaveral, you can dock   GSC you have to tender-- may still not be clam enough waters to tender.  

Exactly how many clams are required in the waters to be able to tender?  How is this measured?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

... There's a rocket launch scheduled for 7:10PM  tomorrow (Monday) from the Kennedy Space Center.   When are the Gem and Bliss expected to sail?  It would be fantastic to see a launch from a ship! 

 

Yes, Falcon 9 JCSAT-18/KACIFIC1 by SpaceX is set to launch another Falcon 9 fro CCAFS SLC-40 at 7:10 pm.  

 

Gem is scheduled to sail onward to GSC at 9 pm, all abroad at 8:30 pm.  Bliss in current inbound, just checked & on AIS tracking, should definitely be docked pre-dawn ... not going to guess, with their revised itinerary on when they will sail.  Mission control can & are often known to scrub these launch last minutes for a variety of reasons.  We are docked at Terminal 6 with the bow of the ship facing toward KSC direction, all of the open upper decks should be excellent to watch the rocket lifting off and see/feel it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

We are docked at Terminal 6 with the bow of the ship facing toward KSC direction, all of the open upper decks should be excellent to watch the rocket lifting off and see/feel it.  


I hope the launch is a go. You should have a great view!

 

Thanks again for taking the time to do this live thread. I hope you enjoy the rest of the trip! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Currently on the Gem, we sailed at 5 pm leaving the Bliss behind at Pier 88 on Friday.  Captain advised all to expect rough seas heading toward Cape Hatteras on Saturday morning, seas were choppy Friday night but nothing bad, waves at 12' to 15' in the morning with fog & rain continuing, but once we sailed thru the front around Cape Lookout, waves down to 8 to 12' and temp in 60's as sun came out and we sailed close along the shorelines until Georgia, just 1 hour late in not clearing the gangway until 1 pm. 

 

Unless the Bliss left really, really late - they could've made it BUT would be 3 or 4 pm.  We're going 23 to almost 24 knots at times.

 

Coming back from Disney Springs now, terminal signs still showing the Bliss on the Basin near us, T-10.  Well, both ships here all day tomorrow - it's better with all day vs. 6 to 8 hours to head to theme parks ... traffic was mad 😠 heavy on I-4.

 

Kind of crazy weather slowed them down that much. We had three sea days coming back to NYC from a 14 day a few years ago. We had 25-30ft waves for the last 48 hours, didn't slow down a bit. Outside decks were closed, salt spray completely coated the from half of the ship

Link to comment
Share on other sites

we are to be on gsc for christmas so that would be very bad to miss it. was it sunny and nice and just too choppy to tender

 

a few years ago i was in bermuda and the tender was bobbing up and down so bad to get back on the ship people had to jump and other people were there to 'catch' them if they fell. but was perfect weather otherwise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Currently on bliss moored in pc. Captain said due to gsc weather, late start from ny and rough weather heading down. They made decision to drop gsc and move pc to Monday with 6-6pm and Nassau to 8-6 the following day. Gem will be in gsc different day than bliss was originally, hopefully they will be fine there. The weather was not too bad per my experience but I do know some we’re getting sea sick. I am fine with the change and it might be better for some going to Disney.  I did hear some had bought Mickey Xmas special party for night we were suppose to be in pc till 9pm. The captain also said being able to slow up would help with the seas. It is a little interesting that the gem is not having any issue or change in itinerary being on almost identical schedules. Hmmm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Rfemle said:

It is a little interesting that the gem is not having any issue or change in itinerary being on almost identical schedules. Hmmm

 

The Bliss left NY a good hour after the Gem did.  The folks on the Gem don't seem to have encountered the same weather conditions the Bliss did.  For all we know, that one hour or so difference in the departure was all it took.  

Edited by Turtles06
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...