Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
James4me

Mobility issues

My DH and our friends will be on the Panorama in May.  I have extreme back issues requiring surgery.  I may postpone surgery until after our cruise but I will need wheelchair assistance 😟 as I’m unable to walk much distance.  Cabo is a tender port.  Has anyone got off on a tender with mobility issues?  If I have to stay onboard that’s fine as I’ll hit the spa for the day and DH and friends can go ashore and have fun.  I’d hate to miss Cabo, but if I can’t get on a tender then that’s something I’ll deal with.  Just seeking advice from those who know what I have to deal with.

On our tender to cabo there was a woman with wheelchair issues. She had to get out of the chair to be helped onto the tender and then again when getting off.

She had a relative helping her along with staff from the ship.

They held her as she carefully stepped down each step.

If you can do that then you can probably go to Cabo.

Cabo is my least favorite port so for me it would not matter if I had to stay on the ship and relax!

You may feel differently about that!

As riff pointed out, to get into the tender, you will need to step aboard the tender (and off the tender) without the wheelchair.  While the ship is anchored, and the tender is pulled up alongside, there will be movement -- it can be gentle or otherwise.  I would NOT recommend anyone who is wheelchair limited to do this. 

Especially not for Cabo, the least interesting of the three ports!

My DH & I use mobility scooters and we were able to take our scooters onto the tender with no issues. If you can take a few steps up/down the tender and walk to your seat, then you can definitely visit Cabo.  We don't mind Cabo, it's a fun place to visit with lots of oceanview restaurants and shopping places, if you've never been to Cabo, it's a pretty enjoyable port. 

Either way, enjoy your cruise!!