Cruise Critic Community
StartrainDD

Four star HAL mariner and Elite Celebrity cruisers try Azamara

Long story short, we were booked on the Celebrity Xpedition in the Galapagos over Thanksgiving (2019).  Two weeks before our sailing the Xpedition ran aground so our cruise was canceled (we rebooked for 2021).  We had vacation time planned and needed a quick "Plan B."  There were four options (2 HAL, 1 "X", and the Azamara Journey).  We chose the Journey as it went to ports we have not been to before and we wanted to try something different.  We did a B2B, first a nine night Miami - San Juan and then a seven night RT San Juan.  If you are interested in the log/reviews here are the links:

11-21 sailing:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=672279&et_cid=3214772&et_rid=268596365&et_referrer

11-30 sailing:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=672280&et_cid=3214772&et_rid=268596365&et_referrer

I would be happy to answer any questions.  These reviews are NOT 'comparisons' between HAL, "X," and Azamara, although I do mention HAL or "X" a few times. 

We were "Wowed" by nearly everything on the Journey!

13 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Thanks very much.  I really enjoyed reading your reviews.  You were lucky to avoid the second muster drill as b2b guests should attend on each cruise.

Phil

We were told if the cabin change resulted in a muster station change you needed to attend, but if the same muster station is assigned we were excused.  I believe the legal requirement is on B2B2B2B, one must attend at least monthly.  Of course, each cruise line or ship may do things a little differently.

1 hour ago, StartrainDD said:

We were told if the cabin change resulted in a muster station change you needed to attend, but if the same muster station is assigned we were excused.  I believe the legal requirement is on B2B2B2B, one must attend at least monthly.  Of course, each cruise line or ship may do things a little differently.

No. That is not correct.  As far as I’m aware, unless the rules have changed.

Phil

The entire period of the last six months with the Xpedition seems horrifying.  Between the Ecuadoran government limiting passengers on the ship and not licensing it to the damage, it's been a rough year.  We booked it originally for this coming May and switched to Silver Galapagos before those problems started.  We mainly switched because we found a better deal with Silversea, but we're still relieved anyway.  

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

No. That is not correct.  As far as I’m aware, unless the rules have changed.

Phil

The rules HAVE changed, Phil.  I think it's a 30-day window where you don't have to attend unless you're changing muster stations.

58 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

The rules HAVE changed, Phil.  I think it's a 30-day window where you don't have to attend unless you're changing muster stations.

Thanks. Good to know for January. 

Phil 

17 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

We were "Wowed" by nearly everything on the Journey!

Thank you StartrainDD for choosing Azamara. So glad you enjoyed yourselves!

We were on a B2B on Journey July/August this year, both cruises 15 nights, and didn’t need to do the muster on 2nd cruise