Wifi Calling with iphone

Completely depends on the cruiseline and ship.  Some lines block VOIP applications, and with others, it depends on both the internal Wifi connection AND the satellite connection off the ship.

So a general question gets a general answer.

Works great on every RCL ship I’ve used it on.  Also used it at random places off the ship including in the port restaurants as well as outside the port.  Used it once in Puerta Limon at a pizza joint on the second story of a building.  Worked great.  Set it up at home.  

On 12/17/2019 at 1:57 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

Works great on every RCL ship I’ve used it on.  Also used it at random places off the ship including in the port restaurants as well as outside the port.  Used it once in Puerta Limon at a pizza joint on the second story of a building.  Worked great.  Set it up at home.  

You do realize that there are more than 50 cruise lines and RCI is only ONE?   Just saying.

Hank

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You do realize that there are more than 50 cruise lines and RCI is only ONE?   Just saying.

Hank

And so far, neither you nor anyone else has come up with a cruise line that it will not work on.

I know some countries block VOIP.  But I have not run into any establishment (hotel, etc) that has blocked it.

• 1 month later...

Just got off the NCL Gem.   NCL has three levels of WiFi plans -- social media (just FB and the like), unlimited, and premium (the only plan that allows streaming).  We had no interest in streaming, and bought the unlimited  plan; I was surprised when I tried to use WiFi calling on my iPhone and could not.  I talked to the Internet Manager on board, and she told me they block WiFi calling unless you buy the premium plan.   This is not stated anywhere in their materials, as I pointed out.   She gave me the premium plan at a substantial discount, and then WiFi calling worked very well (when there was an internet connection).    The internet on NCL is not cheap, nor good, and the whole thing really annoyed me.