ANOTHER QUESTION ON MEN'S CHIC DRESS

smlcruisers

I have heard that the Celebrity Edge's Chic Night dress code is more stringent in Europe than it is in the Caribbean.  Can anyone who has recently been on the Edge (7 night cruise) in the Caribbean provide some insight into this?  Is a jacket still the norm?  At age 76 I would like to lighten the suitcase.  Question:  Do I need to wear a sport coat in the main dining room on chic nights?  

You don’t need a sport coat even on Elegant Chic nights. However, My DH has taken to wearing a black blazer on the plane & immediately sending it out for drycleaning upon boarding. He still likes having a jacket & doing it this way doesn’t add to the weight of the suitcase

10 minutes ago, smlcruisers said:

I have heard that the Celebrity Edge's Chic Night dress code is more stringent in Europe

The dress code is identical and sets out the minimum requirements. The general perception is that on European cruises, more passengers choose to rise above the minimum, but there is no requirement to do so. Observe Celebrity's dress code and you'll do fine without the sport coat.

I do not carry any jacket/blazer when I am flying to a cruise .....  I might if cruising from a home port.  However, I enjoy wearing some formal trousers and shoes and a nice dress shirt which makes me feel that I am more than complying.

43 minutes ago, awhfy said:

You don’t need a sport coat even on Elegant Chic nights. However, My DH has taken to wearing a black blazer on the plane & immediately sending it out for drycleaning upon boarding. He still likes having a jacket & doing it this way doesn’t add to the weight of the suitcase

I like his style..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smlcruisers said:

..........  Question:  Do I need to wear a sport coat in the main dining room on chic nights?  

Answer:  No, you do not need to wear a sport coat in any Celebrity dining room on any night.

But even doing B2B cruises on the same ship, we have seen huge differences in the way people dress from one cruise to the next. 

If there is a large affinity group traveling together, they may all choose to dress pretty much the same way.

Sometimes a travel agency puts together a large group and advises them on how to dress, so they may all be dressed similarly even if they don't know one another.

It can be easy for someone who is on a Celebrity cruise for the first time to get the impression that Celebrity passengers get dressed up, or that they don't, depending on the passenger mix you happen to encounter on any particular cruise.

I wouldn't say they dress up more on European cruises.  We just returned from a Caribbean cruise and I was very surprised at the gorgeous dresses  and outfits generally across all nights, not just Chic.  We were on a long trip so I packed the bare minimum (just 3/4 black pants and dressy tops for me and long black pants and collared shirt for my husband) but we fitted in just fine anyway.  Our next cruise will be European again and I can tell you we will again not be getting too dressed up!

Edited by Scottygirl1

I was on Edge in Europe in October.   The dress code is the same for all ships regardless of location.    You may have confused some post that indicate that European Cruises are more dressy than Caribbean cruises.   This is the choice the passengers make not a different dress code.    Jacket is fine.

Per Celebrity FAQ

Q.

What is the onboard dress code?

A.

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.