Tipping for Excursions

Nevada Jen

On 12/30/2019 at 8:41 AM, ducklite said:

Not to mention that I would never return to a place where I stiffed the service workers.  They have memories like elephants and talk to each other.  I know this as a former server/bartender/Somm.  We have our ways of getting back at people.  😉 

The poor tipper can probably get away with it a couple of times but by the third return visit the staff would have him identified.  My experience is that the bad tippers were most often also complete jerks in other regards and there are myriad ways to make their dining experience less enjoyable.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I can’t see a lot of difference between tipped positions in the USA and gig economy type jobs.

Most of the people I know doing gig jobs (Lyft, Uber Eats, etc.) are doing it as a side job, not full time employment.  They need more cash for any number of reasons, and gigs allow them to work when they are available.

Most of the people I know in service are either students or people making better money in service than they would be in whatever their degree program was.  The exception would be those who are Somms, who are in service for entirely different reasons and most are making careers out of it, adding more and more certifications generally paid for by their employer or sponsored by a MS, and are hoping to eventually become a MS/MW.

By the way, as a member of the retail service industry, $15 per hour is not nearly enough to survive with the cost of living. I work hard at a job I love for $14.05 per hour (because it makes me feel good). It's against policy to accept tips but I do appreciate a kind word or review. Here in Canada, people in the service industry work for less than minimum wage because the government expects them to get tips to supplement their income. That being said, I am lucky that my husband is salaried for the federal government here in Canada, otherwise I wouldn't be able to travel! When we cruise/travel, I tip depending on local custom and total cost of the excursion/ service. I am happy to tip because I know the realities of minimum wage.

p.s Sorry if there are grammar mistakes, French is my first language! 

Edited by Susu1974
  • Like 1

I think tips should be paid where it is the normal pay structure but should not be necessarily paid where it is not unless you really want to reward someone.  Personally I think people should be paid fully for their jobs and not be reliant on tipping but I am a realist and know that this does not happen in many countries and especially in particular industries. As I often say 'Do in Rome ...'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

@MicCanberra A nice, common sense approach.  

The refreshing nature of your comment, compared to many, unfortunately reflects the truth of the adage about how rare common sense is.

To be fair before all the side tracking others have expressed this sentiment. One of the problems is the OP never specified the country they were travelling to so you can only give generalised advice. Most posters assumed they were travelling in the Caribbean and to be fair the OP did not refute it but neither did they confirm it 😉. Hopefully the OP got the advice they needed🤞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

To be fair before all the side tracking others have expressed this sentiment. One of the problems is the OP never specified the country they were travelling to so you can only give generalised advice. Most posters assumed they were travelling in the Caribbean and to be fair the OP did not refute it but neither did they confirm it 😉. Hopefully the OP got the advice they needed🤞

Agreed.

At my favorite restaurant the waiters are paid just fine in tips.  At 35 one waiter owns 5 rental houses.  He had nothing when he started working there at 15.  The other waiters work only a few days a week.  Another makes enough to put both his girls in private school.  They made about $30,000 a year more than I did.

Regarding what the OP was asking and I"m sure afraid to come back to this thread:  unlike most I don't tip quite as much on tours.  I tip depending.  I never tip based on the price of the excursion unless I get exceptional service.  I tipped my guide in Spain.  He was stunned but happy.  I tipped in Italy.  They were fighting to get me for the next three tours.  None excepted anything from me.

In the Caribbean I must tip $5 to $10 depending on what they did.  It should be something good.  If they took me from Point A to Point B and dropped me off than they got no tip.  That is what I already paid for.  If they also shared information or maybe made a stop for pictures or something not contracted they would get a tip of again maybe $5 or $10.  For a bus driver I give $1 and maybe $5 for the guide if she spoke loudly and clearly and gave me interesting and useful information. 

Whatever you do please please don't tip in $2 bills.  If you are trying to reward don't make the recipient take more steps to get the money.  I was in Sydney Australia once and our driver asked me if it was even real money.  Someone thought it cute.  The bank had never seen a $2 and wouldn't take it.  It was useless and a waste.

To China....  get over yourself.  You know and I know and most of the other posters know you are only trying to stir the pot because you are bored.  You said so yourself.  You are off school so have plenty of time to post things.  You are arguing for the sake of arguing.  I don't believe you actually believe the drivel you are spouting.  You took a thread of someone asking for help and turned it into your own crusade and then you became the victim.    The reason people don't like you being a teacher is because they know you are pushing your single minded argumentative thinking on your poor students.  They are worried you aren't teaching both sides just the side that you think is important.  Every negative comment wasn't about you.  You are choosing to see it that way because you want to be the victim because you think people will feel sorry for you.  They don't.  They think you are single minded and unwilling to learn and that you want to be the center of attention.  That's all.  Seriously, get over yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notentirelynormal said:

I was in Sydney Australia once and our driver asked me if it was even real money.  Someone thought it cute.  The bank had never seen a $2 and wouldn't take it.  It was useless and a waste.

Why on earth would you tip with $US in Australia? 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 9:28 PM, ChinaShrek said:

Others will chime in but I do not tip on excursions unless I receive especially good service or something extraordinary happens.  The tour guides are well paid in many ports (Europe, Alaska, etc) and many have degrees. Finally, I have no desire to contribute to the tipping craze that currently grips cruisers.

This thread has become too long too fast for me to read everything so what I will say may already have been said by someone!

The OP wasn't specific enough to get a good answer because it depends on so many things.

I may not agree with everything ChinaShrek has said but she (?) mentioned  that tour guides are well paid in many ports and I really think that matter a lot. Why tip someone with a high salary if a tip is not expected because their salary is not based on them getting a tip?

The possibility to receive a good tip should not decide if someone is prepared to do a good job, I think. Someone .not doing a good job shall not loose their tip, they shall loose their employment!

I defenitely tip when a tip is expected but it's not always expected. 

On 12/20/2019 at 10:25 PM, ldubs said:

This is the system we have here in America.   

The OP didn't asked about tipping in America so what system you have may be irrelevant for OPs question. (Unless the OP has modified the question. As I said, I haven't read the whole thread.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

The OP didn't asked about tipping in America so what system you have may be irrelevant for OPs question. (Unless the OP has modified the question. As I said, I haven't read the whole thread.)

Thanks.  My comments were in response to someone else's post.  Not the OP's.  

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Why on earth would you tip with $US in Australia? 

Maybe they think that everywhere takes $USD, and it is the king of the currencies when travelling. Not sure how many times I have seen travellers thinking that USD is going to be accepted in Europe or Asia.

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

X2, but maybe for a different reason.  I thought tips were not expected in Australia.  

That said, tipping may not be expected but it is still accepted if given in the right spirit, which is a reward for providing a excellent service. They are not mandatory as they are not part of the payment system.

22 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That said, tipping may not be expected but it is still accepted if given in the right spirit, which is a reward for providing a excellent service. They are not mandatory as they are not part of the payment system.

I wouldn't tip in Australia, only because many on here from there says their culture is no tipping and that is why they complain about the DSC.

13 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I wouldn't tip in Australia, only because many on here from there says their culture is no tipping and that is why they complain about the DSC.

Agreed it is not a cultural thing here however do not be surprised if you see tip jars in bars or cafe's, it is usually just the smaller coins/ change from a purchase. Of course, some from here feel this is the thin edge of the wedge so decry anyone who tips.

44 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed it is not a cultural thing here however do not be surprised if you see tip jars in bars or cafe's, it is usually just the smaller coins/ change from a purchase. Of course, some from here feel this is the thin edge of the wedge so decry anyone who tips.

We were on a tour bus in Sydney where the driver solicited tips over the speaker system.  We thought it was kind of a poor showing -- like trying to scam tourists just because they were Americans.  

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We were on a tour bus in Sydney where the driver solicited tips over the speaker system.  We thought it was kind of a poor showing -- like trying to scam tourists just because they were Americans.  

I think this happens in a lot of non-tipping culture countries.  They see Americans and think they should get a tip.  Before I go to any country, I do research and follow their culture and if I'm solicited in that country, I just walk by with my money in my purse.

34 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Definitely poor form, not sure why but definitely disappointing to hear.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Definitely poor form, not sure why but definitely disappointing to hear.

Well, I am happy that there are mostly good folks all around.  Unfortunately, there will always be shady characters just about everywhere.   

2 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I think this happens in a lot of non-tipping culture countries.  They see Americans and think they should get a tip.  Before I go to any country, I do research and follow their culture and if I'm solicited in that country, I just walk by with my money in my purse.

I do the same.   

Reminds me.  After all of the carping I've received from my British friends about having to tip in American restnts, I had to laugh when a gratuity was added to our tab at a restaurant in London.  I guess they were getting even!  😁😁😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well, I am happy that there are mostly good folks all around.  Unfortunately, there will always be shady characters just about everywhere.   

Unfortunately there is, I suppose the best you can do is hope you do not encounter them and if you do, be smart enough not to fall for it.