Tortola BVI Excursion To JVD Outside of NCL?

The Cruiseman 1

Can someone recommend another way to visit Jost Van Dyke outside of going thru NCL?  Apparently the only excursion they have available for our upcoming trip leaves at 8 am and returns back at 1 pm which seems way too early to enjoy a couple of painkillers.  Looking for an alternative way over at a reasonable price.  Any suggestions how else to get over to this island that can be trusted to get us back onboard in time?  Thanks!

So weird as NO excursions were posted on our planner either??  I tried calling the Shore Excursion desk and they said the only time available was the 8:15 am time.  We are on the cruise right before you, 1/26/20 - 2/2/20.  Makes no sense but maybe I will try calling again tomorrow and see if I get a different answer.  First time cruising on NCL and so far not a good experience at all.  We love RCCL but thought we would try different line for comparison which might turn out to be a mistake.  We also tried making specialty restaurant reservations as we bought the 7 night pkg and several nights had NOTHING available and others only had 9:30 pm slots available!  I asked what would happen if we could not get into the restaurants would we get a credit for those nights and the person did not have an answer for that?

21 minutes ago, The Cruiseman 1 said:

So weird as NO excursions were posted on our planner either??  I tried calling the Shore Excursion desk and they said the only time available was the 8:15 am time.  We are on the cruise right before you, 1/26/20 - 2/2/20.  Makes no sense but maybe I will try calling again tomorrow and see if I get a different answer.  First time cruising on NCL and so far not a good experience at all.  We love RCCL but thought we would try different line for comparison which might turn out to be a mistake.  We also tried making specialty restaurant reservations as we bought the 7 night pkg and several nights had NOTHING available and others only had 9:30 pm slots available!  I asked what would happen if we could not get into the restaurants would we get a credit for those nights and the person did not have an answer for that?

NCL only releases a small amount of reservations before hand but as soon as you get on the ship you need to make the reservations you want. Reservations opened up 120 days in advance so if you are closer to your sailing date then other people already scooped up that small amount of reservations. 

Last time we were on Tortola was 2 years ago on Escape. We used https://www.oceanmagicmitch.com/

We got 12 people and used Captain Rudy. Probably more now but we paid $75 each plus tip. Met him at the end of the pier. Walked 10 minutes to the boat and off we went to Soggy Dollar. Saw the 2 excursions from the ship come and go. We got there about 10 am and left around 3 pm. Got back to the ship in plenty of time.

1 hour ago, miataman19 said:

Last time we were on Tortola was 2 years ago on Escape. We used https://www.oceanmagicmitch.com/

We got 12 people and used Captain Rudy. Probably more now but we paid $75 each plus tip. Met him at the end of the pier. Walked 10 minutes to the boat and off we went to Soggy Dollar. Saw the 2 excursions from the ship come and go. We got there about 10 am and left around 3 pm. Got back to the ship in plenty of time.

I second ocean magic Mitch but you have to have enough people to make it worth it. We had 8 last year and spent just a tad more than the ncl excursion but had much more time.

3 hours ago, The Cruiseman 1 said:

Yes, call and ask them to double check on the later one.  I don't know how it could be sold out when no one even knows about it because it wasn't listed in the planner.  I often get different answers depending on who you speak with!!  I was told they always do have two times because the catamaran drops you off, and goes back for the next group.  Good luck!  I heard its a great excursion.

1 hour ago, miataman19 said:

We have this group booked for Feb.  approx $100 pp.  

very much looking forward to it 

20 hours ago, The Cruiseman 1 said:

Can someone recommend another way to visit Jost Van Dyke outside of going thru NCL?  Apparently the only excursion they have available for our upcoming trip leaves at 8 am and returns back at 1 pm which seems way too early to enjoy a couple of painkillers.  Looking for an alternative way over at a reasonable price.  Any suggestions how else to get over to this island that can be trusted to get us back onboard in time?  Thanks!

Please provide your port arrival/departure times and date. Options for Jost include the two ship excursions (Rebel Yell catamaran and inflatable boats), public taxi and ferry, and private charters. But your time and date in port dictate your best option...

Some pricing info from Ocean Magic if interested, one of several private charters -

28 minutes ago, The Cruiseman 1 said:

I believe we are in port at Tortola on 1/30/20 between 8 & 5pm.  Would love to join another group if possible as we are a party of 2 adults.

That’s a nice day in port. If you are really interested in getting to White Bay over any other experience, you would have ~3 hours using the taxi/ferry/taxi option. Departs West End 10AM and departs Great Harbor 2PM. Total cost ~$70/pp round trip.

There is also a private water taxi option from Foxy’s in Great Harbor. They provide round trip transportation between Cane Garden Bay, Tortola and White Bay, JVD for $120/pp but have a 4-person minimum. Also $16/pp round trip taxi to CGB. If interested I will provide contact info...

Try asking on your roll call to find others interested in sharing the Foxy or other private option. But if interested in Ocean Magic be sure to contact the charter now to be sure they have availability as they are a popular and inexpensive group option and fill early. They offer the 23’ boat for a couple and you would have much more time to visit different spots on Jost and Little Jost, but the price is $850...

Edited by blue_water