Help! Traveling with "Those People"

kiddo76

On 12/20/2019 at 7:00 AM, K32682 said:

Question to the OP:  Are you recently married and not know before what these people are like?   People typically do not undergo radical personality changes once they get on a cruise ship.  Jerks on board are usually jerks on land.  Were the signs not evident? 

Oddly, cruises can end long standing friendships. Little quirks that are unnoticeable for years are magnified Ion cruises. 

Try it and see!

• Like 5

On 12/19/2019 at 8:36 PM, breezy_carol said:

Mt husband and I went on a cruise this summer with son and DIL.  I guess that made us the in-laws.  I hope neither of them felt this way.  I don't think they did.  We tried very hard to give them space.

We go on vacation and trips with my parents all the time.  There's always speedbumps but it doesn't make it any less fun.  I posted earlier about my mom trying to get meds through airport security that looks like marajuana.   We always have a good laugh about it afterwards.  The only time it's ever horrible to travel with relatives is when they are super negative.  But I'm sure your family had a great time with you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

I've never had problems when travelling with family except for my 8-year old granddaughter complaining that we had a suite and we put them in a "closet."  They were in an inside cabin.

Probably the last time I'd invite HER along. We have a bratty grand-girl also 😞

21 hours ago, clo said:

Probably the last time I'd invite HER along. We have a bratty grand-girl also 😞

Her parents call her the spoiled rotten brat child and she agrees.

She is 16 now and we still tease her about the closet comment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

Fortunately, they seem to outgrow the condition:  my younger daughter was some piece of work from about four to fourteen, then became an amazingly happy and helpful teen.  

Her girl, now 12, is living proof of Kharma - while I sympathize with my daughter, and encourage her to maintain her cool, I must admit to feeling some (admittedly guilty) satisfaction at seeing her get some of what she gave me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gooch47 said:

So they have done anything about it? Wow.

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Fortunately, they seem to outgrow the condition:  my younger daughter was some piece of work from about four to fourteen, then became an amazingly happy and helpful teen.  

Her girl, now 12, is living proof of Kharma - while I sympathize with my daughter, and encourage her to maintain her cool, I must admit to feeling some (admittedly guilty) satisfaction at seeing her get some of what she gave me.

Consequences. There have to be consistent consequences. 100% of the time. One of our daughters and spouse is doing it and the other aren't. It shows.

I never had kids...….although I was one once....LOL...….now at 61, seems things are way, way, way different

than during my childhood...one thing was my family did not cruise----I went to camp in the summers or we

did "camping trips" as a family but cruising? Who knew cruising? Not my family.

• Like 6

On 12/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, kiddo76 said:

Not trying to be a martyr, just needed to vent here to keep the peace. I'm having a great time. They used to be very courteous, thoughtful people who were very much rules followers. They have done a complete 180 over the years and it makes my and DH heads spin!

I totally understand wanting to vent - especially to keep the peace so you don't snap at someone you love.

The complete personality change raises a possible red flag to me.  Is there any chance one or both of them have health issues that are contributing to the changes?  I hope not, but have seen it happen to some people.  Maybe you will be able to have a discussion with them after things settle down from the cruise if you are concerned.

Hope you are all able to enjoy the rest of the vacation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I totally understand wanting to vent - especially to keep the peace so you don't snap at someone you love.

The complete personality change raises a possible red flag to me.  Is there any chance one or both of them have health issues that are contributing to the changes?  I hope not, but have seen it happen to some people.  Maybe you will be able to have a discussion with them after things settle down from the cruise if you are concerned.

Hope you are all able to enjoy the rest of the vacation.

Thank you for the advice. After some other concerning incidents during the trip, I did actually mention to DH that I was getting worried about FIL.☹

10 minutes ago, kiddo76 said:

Thank you for the advice. After some other concerning incidents during the trip, I did actually mention to DH that I was getting worried about FIL.☹

So.... FIL was super weird on our 2nd and last cruise.  Rude, forgetful, etc.  and now, 5 years later we realize it was early stage Alzheimer’s 😞. We didn’t make a big deal of it back then, but now we really wish we would have said something (he is now end stage Alzheimer’s) 😞

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

So.... FIL was super weird on our 2nd and last cruise.  Rude, forgetful, etc.  and now, 5 years later we realize it was early stage Alzheimer’s 😞. We didn’t make a big deal of it back then, but now we really wish we would have said something (he is now end stage Alzheimer’s) 😞

Ohhh.....……..I am so sorry. My Dad died in 2011 and although the Death Certificate said "End Stage Dementia" we

came to realize it was Alzheimer's.  My heart goes out to you because it really is harder on the care giver's......

(((hugs to you)))))

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 5:48 AM, cloud_nine said:

When I first read this I thought you meant that he was really drunk (in the UK pissed means drunk) and was wondering why they even let him on the plane. I bet you're wishing they hadn't! Hang in there! Hope the rest of your vacation goes without further incident. 

In Australia Pissed has many meanings there is a comedian friend of mine that does P&O cruises and he has a joke about the way words are used and this word is in it with more than 2 meanings , was going to list all i knew but not sure if that would be good 

5 hours ago, Hawka said:

In Australia Pissed has many meanings there is a comedian friend of mine that does P&O cruises and he has a joke about the way words are used and this word is in it with more than 2 meanings , was going to list all i knew but not sure if that would be good 

Probably Earn you a warning if you listed them all.

• Like 1

My ex and I used to travel fairly often with my parents.

In most cases, they were great to travel with, and did a lot of traveling on their own.

But we learned, that about day 3 of the trip, just ignore my mother.  On day 3, NOTHING went right, and anything anyone said was wrong, and would get her spun up.   So day 3 was the day to say nothing, agree with anything she said, and go on about our way.

Day 4, she was fine. 😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hawka said:

I remember my brother coming home from a trip to Australia in the late 80s. We went out to dinner. Mom ate too much and said she was stuffed. Brother proceeded to tell us that "stuffed" has a very different meeting in Australia. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I remember my brother coming home from a trip to Australia in the late 80s. We went out to dinner. Mom ate too much and said she was stuffed. Brother proceeded to tell us that "stuffed" has a very different meeting in Australia. 

Well yes and no. It has the meaning your mother meant, but also another.

I once called in to an elderly family friend who lived about a 7 hour drive away. She had an American exchange student who, during the course of the said numerous things that have/had a different meaning here but I clearly recall

Hi I am Randy

and

I root for the 49ers (well 40+ years later I think that’s the team)

two name just two

Here in Aus to be Randy means to be sexually aroused, and Root what you want to do after becoming randy if you get the drift.

and to a somewhat neive country lad of about 17 years ... well let’s just say I was stunned at first.

• Haha 1