Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

I’m sure this may have been noted in previous posts on this thread, but I didn’t go back and read them all. I read that Carnival was staying in port longer before leaving yesterday, to do some repairs. They have boarded up to keep passengers from the damaged area, and they can continue work while at sea. Those passengers that were assigned seating in the aft of the MDR, were being moved to the YTD area of MDR. I’m sure there may be a little longer wait for tables, but all is good. At least we aren’t canceling cruises. I am YTD on the Glory February 2, and if there is a bit of a wait, that’s time for a nice cocktail at the bar! 😎🍸🍹🍷

Edited by grandmarnnurse
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

That's odd, because this picture shows they've built a temporary wall, covered it with a banner (trying to keep it from looking so unsightly), and have set up the tables. Water glasses and pitchers are set up, the pitchers are full. Why would they make the effort just to keep it closed? Maybe it'll reopen before the cruise is over. Or on the next cruise.

uc?export=view&id=1CMxbihYd7o9yJ4ozK7U3-

When I read the statement put out by Carnival, I interpreted it as meaning that only those assigned to the very aft area of that MDR were directed to YTD. If someone onboard said ALL passengers assigned for the WHOLE aft MDR were redirected to YTD, I’d bet it was just for that night, as they were staying in port and welding, etc. They were not leaving until midnight to set sail, as to get as much work done as possible. 

42 minutes ago, shof515 said:

It is now about 7:35am eastern time which is 6:35am new orleans time. the glory is still tied up to the dock according to the ship ais data

image.png.aa90ff156a70a9724d26ebd910fa2f17.png

I wonder what time she will be leaving

Came here to ask basically the same question. I hope people don't have to miss Ports on this sailing. I'm supposed to board in a week, I also hope I don't have to miss Ports..

Fox8LiveNews in New Orleans reported at 5:30AM there would be some itinerary changes.  They also reported that Carnival had sent emails to passengers reflecting the changes.  Don't know if this is true but that was their report.  They also have a good look at the overnight repairs, whick of course were still going on as the sun was coming up. 

So final report was the lines were terrible for a while but dissipated to merely bad late in the evening. Dining was probably the worst I've ever had, though. Cold food, uncooked potato, basic things that can easily be explained by having to stock up early for fast turn around. They made it work and if that's the extent of the impact from the... Impact, we'll be fortunate. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

So final report was the lines were terrible for a while but dissipated to merely bad late in the evening. Dining was probably the worst I've ever had, though. Cold food, uncooked potato, basic things that can easily be explained by having to stock up early for fast turn around. They made it work and if that's the extent of the impact from the... Impact, we'll be fortunate. 

Really hope the dining works out. And glad they kept the sailing. I imagine that even more than normal, a Christmas cruise is something people planned and looked forward to for a long time. We are on her 1/6, so looking forward to the reports of how this week went.

hopefully, last night was the worst and now you have a story to tell for the rest of your lives.

Edited by Hoosierpop

19 minutes ago, kitty2264 said:

Fox8LiveNews in New Orleans reported at 5:30AM there would be some itinerary changes.  They also reported that Carnival had sent emails to passengers reflecting the changes.  Don't know if this is true but that was their report.  They also have a good look at the overnight repairs, whick of course were still going on as the sun was coming up. 

I suspect the change is the already announced move of Cozumel from Tuesday to Friday. The itinerary as scheduled has a lot of slack in it where as scheduled, the ship would have been sailing considerably slower than its top speed. With Cozumel and Costa Maya only about six hours sailing time apart at top speed, by moving the Cozumel port call to Friday, they've bought themselves almost 24 hours they can remain in New Orleans and still make Costa Maya on time. And on the return, Roatan to New Orleans could be done in about 44 hours but was scheduled for 60 hours. Cozumel is in the right location for the port call to be accommodated in that extra 16 hours available as it takes about 13 to 14 hours (a normal overnight) to get from Roatan to Cozumel and it was already going to need to go right by Cozumel on the way back.

I passed by Glory on way to office this morning around 730. Locally they are saying new departure time between 10 and 12. Pilot is/was on board, but may have to swap out pilots (they have duty time limits) but not a huge deal to do that. 

Leaving by noon should put them into Costa Maya on time on Wed without much issue. 

3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Are you staying or going?

Staying. I have 2 kids and no vacation time left. And had to fly here. It would be a bigger hassle to leave than to stay. We are also running out of long pants and long sleeves - I may need that $100 to do laundry!

Edited by Monica887