Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

2 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

How did they compensate you? Did they refund part of your original sailing, or provide future travel credit?

The people on the ship received future cruise discounts.  I don't remember if they received any partial refund for their current or not.

For our 7.....oops, 4-day cruise the following week, you could cancel (not even show up but the preferred you let them know ahead of time) and receive 100% refund.   We didn't get any future cruise discounts but they pro-rated part back to us.  We could only make 2 stops instead of 3 and 1 of them changed (wasn't on our original itinerary.)  We got port fees back for 1 that we missed.

I argued a little bit because the pro-rate refund math did not work out as easy as $/day and give us back 3x that amount for the 3 days missed.  Didn't work that way apparently but we went anyway.......and had one of the best cruises ever.  Boat was only about half full so no lines!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

WOW, anyone else thinks it looks like OASIS did a heck of a job with at least its bow and aft Port thruster's (or more, if possible?) to keep Glory away from her?

I haven't seen any reports or video of Oasis doing anything?  All the videos I've seen so plenty of wash coming off of Glory and swirling along the Oasis's hull.  I'm curious what are you referring too?

Currently on board the glory.  No serious injuries reported.  The damage is to the Platinum dining area.  No news given on what's going on but when I was on dock workers were wheeling about what appeared to be 8ft by 4ft plates of one inch steel toward the on-site crane.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

I haven't seen any reports or video of Oasis doing anything?  All the videos I've seen so plenty of wash coming off of Glory and swirling along the Oasis's hull.  I'm curious what are you referring too?

Just per the various videos online.  IMO, it appears Oasis is using the Port thrusters against Glory.  Do I know?   Nope.  Just looking at the 10+ videos is looks like she is.  Hopefully we'll find out.  Also, there are some really experienced marine ship members here that might weigh in.

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

Would love to hear what Chengkp75 has to say about the damage and possible repairs.  He is extremely knowledgeable in this area.

He will likely say: no structural damage. Good to go. The facade surround of the dinning room has been blown out, but can be replaced. I think (being that it is above deck 5), that most of the damage would be to aluminum components and not mild steel. Harder to repair if aluminum but doable without an extended docking period IMHO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fin said:

In view of these photos, I am astounded at the pronouncement of the CEO that sailing will continue as usual.

It is pointed out, correctly, that the CEO "knows more than we do".  He may have heard from some major shareholders as to what will happen if they cancel sailings.  He MAY even have heard from on-site structural engineers as to the lack of any hidden or not immediately obvious damage.

It will be most interesting to see whether the CEO has to 'walk back' his rather unambiguous pronouncement later for any reason.

Why cancel holiday bookings that you charged a premium on and people shelled out thousands for if you do not have to? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sean_B said:

They're going to sail everyone home to NOLA, but after that, it's doubtful they'll go to sea. They need to have Engineers look at the ship and that crushed deck is somewhat structural and will need to be replaced.

I spent 13 years in the Navy and have put two ships through refit, including one which was damaged in a similar manner. I'm not an "expert", but I've got first hand knowledge of the process.

Did Navy time also, and you do need to remember they do not have their hands tied the way the Navy does on yard periods and repairs.  It would not surprise me at all if they don’t cancel anything but piece it back together during different port calls.  

54 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

Just per the various videos online.  IMO, it appears Oasis is using the Port thrusters against Glory.  Do I know?   Nope.  Just looking at the 10+ videos is looks like she is.  Hopefully we'll find out.  Also, there are some really experienced marine ship members here that might weigh in.

Been to Cozumel a few times on the Oasis, and it was always there and tied up before the Carnival ships show up.

29 minutes ago, itsmeagain said:

Did Navy time also, and you do need to remember they do not have their hands tied the way the Navy does on yard periods and repairs.  It would not surprise me at all if they don’t cancel anything but piece it back together during different port calls.  

I wasn't US Navy and when our ships needed repair they went in right away.

Looking at the damage, the outside deck of the Ebony lounge is completely crushed, causing some pretty serious damage the dining room. If they fix this at sea, I'll be astounded, but the amount of noise it's going to create during the repair is going to reverberate throughout the entire ship, so even doing it along side in various ports is going to cause a giant line at guest services. Giving out onboard credit like it's raining money may still be cheaper for Carnival than heading into a dry dock period for several weeks, so I guess that's a business case to be presented.. What it will do to their reputation is another thread all together.

As for the CEO knowing more than we do, I don't doubt that he's at least one personal conversation with the Captain and perhaps two, but there's no way they've had that damage inspected by a Marine Engineer due to their location, time and some other factors. They won't truly know until they get back to the US, so be prepared for the CEO to change his mind.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

I am not on board. I checked various marine tracking sites - the Legend has departed. The Glory is still moored in Cozumel.

The Legend wasn't really damaged beyond some minor cosmetic damage from what I can tell.

• Like 1

I think it's unlikely that they'll fix this damage while under way.  With all the cutting and welding that will be required, the risk of fire is too strong to allow passengers on board while repairs are in progress. They may patch the holes in the ship and block off the interior area and cruise on until a slot opens up in a shipyard to make proper repairs. They'll need some custom ordered parts anyway, such as the windows, that won't be immediately available. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, above sea level cruiser said:

He will likely say: no structural damage. Good to go. The facade surround of the dinning room has been blown out, but can be replaced. I think (being that it is above deck 5), that most of the damage would be to aluminum components and not mild steel. Harder to repair if aluminum but doable without an extended docking period IMHO.

FYI: A majority of the (visible) damage is on decks 3 & 4, the aft MDR.

All I could think about was the new cooking classes they're offering on the Panorama.  You ask how that relates?  I couldn't help but think they had started a "pilot" (no pun intended) class on the Glory and that a passenger was captaining the ship.  😏

The weather conditions were clearly known, including the gusty winds.  So for those who've captained a vessel, if the windy conditions are known, shouldn't you give a wider berth to all obstacles, in anticipation of what happened might just happen?  I'm probably overly simplifying the situation when I compare it to driving in ice and snow, in which case you leave a greater following distance to the nearest vehicle.  But again, I've never operated any type of boat, let alone a cruise ship.  

Just glad to hear there were no serious injuries.  Ships can be repaired, sometimes people can't.