Celebrity offering late check out on disembarkation day

wesport

Just read Celebrity is offering late check out on disembarkation day for $79pp and $39pp for children.  Great idea for additional revenue. Drinks can be bought by the pool with a credit card.  Wonder how long until the other lines follow suit. 

9 minutes ago, wesport said:

Just read Celebrity is offering late check out on disembarkation day for $79pp and $39pp for children.  Great idea for additional revenue. Drinks can be bought by the pool with a credit card.  Wonder how long until the other lines follow suit. 

How late is the check out and more importantly, how is this going to impact those who are boarding????  

Celebrity didn’t have rooms ready when we boarded last time but that was a while ago.

I much prefer HAL’s availability of rooms when you board and, frankly, I don’t see the big deal to be off by 9 - 9:45 AM.

Once the cruise is over, it’s over IMO and I have no wish to put strain on crew members trying to deal with turnaround day.  JMO

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

How late is the check out and more importantly, how is this going to impact those who are boarding????  

Celebrity didn’t have rooms ready when we boarded last time but that was a while ago.

I much prefer HAL’s availability of rooms when you board and, frankly, I don’t see the big deal to be off by 9 - 9:45 AM.

Once the cruise is over, it’s over IMO and I have no wish to put strain on crew members trying to deal with turnaround day.  JMO

And how does it affect getting the "zero count?"

• Like 1

This idea may work fine if boarding begins after 1:00 PM. But on HAL, with boarding starting at 11:30, then it would make the Lido area much too crowded. And there are those ports where a zero count is required, where it won't work at all. 

Not a good idea for anyone who likes early boarding. 

• Like 1

This makes more sence when more of the details are revealed. The extend your stay will allow passengers to continue to use all common facilities (not staterooms) until 90 minutes before sailing. All spa facilities will be open for bookings and guests will have a basic drink package included. They must first leave with the rest of the guests ( to zero out the ship) and all their luggage will be stored in a secure area of their dedicated terminal 25 in Fort Lauderdale. They then reboard before the rest of the guests. The price of about $80 per person (with drinks included) is comparable to larger hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area that offer day passes to their pool/spa areas. This may work better for Celebrity with more food options available, but the concept for HAL as a revenue stream is certainly more sensible than other schemes HAL has dreamed up. Since our direct flights to Seattle never leave until 5:30 or later, this option would be of interest to us.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

until 90 minutes before sailing

40 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

EEK!! I like that explanation even less twodj's! So they got to all get off, then can re-board, then get off 90 minutes before the new guests board? That is one helluva thing right there folks.. 

twodjs' post says 90 minutes before sailing.  

I would consider it too, our flights home are always late in the day.

18 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

EEK!! I like that explanation even less twodj's! So they got to all get off, then can re-board, then get off 90 minutes before the new guests board? That is one helluva thing right there folks.. 

Wait...we're talking about a handful of people. 9 hours in the airport isn't fun. And ANOTHER five hour tour of the city. No thanks! First, to correct your post, they can stay on until 90 minutes before the ship leaves. Why is that such a huge problem? Is the Spa packed on a turnaround morning? It's empty. How about the gym at 11:00 am? Deserted. Are the pools packed at 1:00? Nope. We're talking only about a handful of people whose flights don't leave until late. So you're afraid they will pack the lido? Not likely...honestly how hungry are you after breakfast on the last day of a cruise? Now they (we) are spending our money at local resorts for day passes. It's logical for any business to better utilize their space during unused times, and it provides added income for HAL without taking perks away from their loyal guests.

• Like 2

If we had a late flight we would definitely consider this.  Especially if the weather was good enough to relax in the sun by the pool.  Always good to have choice.

Especially in FLL where the airport is a bit of a dump.  Who on earth would want to spend time there?

Edited by iancal

Who told you it's only a handful?  And how many times have you been on a tour where people ignore the return time, or in this case, a disembark time? 

As an embarking passenger and paying for my full time, not previous passengers still on my ship, I don't care for it.

It's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it thank you very much. 

• Like 3

That's fine. This in no way takes away from your full time on the ship. Here hoping you never have to take an evening flight after your cruise. And guests would get off the ship because they have planes to catch and the ship leaves. Kind of obvious if they're in the pool during the muster drill! 😁

13 hours ago, twodjs said:

Wait...we're talking about a handful of people. 9 hours in the airport isn't fun. And ANOTHER five hour tour of the city. No thanks! First, to correct your post, they can stay on until 90 minutes before the ship leaves. Why is that such a huge problem? Is the Spa packed on a turnaround morning? It's empty. How about the gym at 11:00 am? Deserted. Are the pools packed at 1:00? Nope. We're talking only about a handful of people whose flights don't leave until late. So you're afraid they will pack the lido? Not likely...honestly how hungry are you after breakfast on the last day of a cruise? Now they (we) are spending our money at local resorts for day passes. It's logical for any business to better utilize their space during unused times, and it provides added income for HAL without taking perks away from their loyal guests.

Couldn't you get an earlier flight?

I think that it is a smart move by Celebrity.  Another choice for their customers and a chance to realize some revenue that they would otherwise not get.    Who knows, it could have been customers who initially made this suggestion.

13 hours ago, iancal said:

Especially in FLL where the airport is a bit of a dump.  Who on earth would want to spend time there?

This is exactly where I would take advantage of this offer.  Our flights home to Seattle are either too early or very late in the afternoon.  We've done the HAL tour (only took up half the day), sat in that airport all day, and have gotten a hotel for that night and flew home the next morning.  Bad memories of one long day and night there when flights were delayed hours -- absolutely no info given out (we had to learn about our delayed flight from a baggage handler) and no restaurants open in the evening.  

• Like 1

I think it's a great idea.  I would have no problem vacating my cabin if I could hang out in some designated public areas.  As others have mentioned, this is especially true when I fly out of FLL.  It would be worth it to me.

As an example, we have already booked our day pass at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale after our cruise on the Koningsdam in January because HAL DOES NOT offer this service. That would have saved us Uber time and cost to and from the hotel and be an easy $160 in their pocket. 

Don't forget they have a flight to catch and the ship leaves. Sounds like self policing to me in the same way that the day passes we buy at the hotel are self policing - we have a plane to catch.

Edited by twodjs
Added a word