Cruise Critic Community
FloridaKicks

Water for Cpap

My husband now has a cpap machine which requires distilled water. I think he may need about a gallon for our 7 night cruise. I called Holland America and they said “no problem! Just bring it in your carry on bag.”  Don’t know why I don’t trust them lol. Has anyone

else ever needed to bring distilled water?

Or, request it from them...they will get it for you.  For one week, if you don't get "distilled", filtered water won't hurt your machine. But yes, you can bring it, if you want to.

Any line we have sailed on, a gallon of distilled water and the proper extention cord for the machine were available just by asking the cabin attendant.

I have my TA order it for me in advance. $2.95 is charged to my credit card. When I have needed more during the cruise (a gallon lasts me two weeks, and I take longer cruises), I order from room service. For some reason, the price is always higher (something like $4.95, I think?) when I order on board. 

Bought 1 gallon on our 2 week July Alaska cruise for hubby and came up about 2 nights short and ordered another gallon.. and I just ordered 3 gallons for our upcoming 6 week cruise. They will deliver 1 gallon a week, or all 3 gallons at once. You can also order once you are on the ship. It's as Ruth says, $2.95. 

Oh, and what "mom says" says, the extension cords are available if you need them. Our suite has the power outlets at the bed stands. Not sure if the inside cabins have them by the bed though..

I sent an e-mail to SpecialNeeds at HAL, and they confirmed distilled water and and extension cord in my cabin.

6 hours ago, RuthC said:

I have my TA order it for me in advance. $2.95 is charged to my credit card. When I have needed more during the cruise (a gallon lasts me two weeks, and I take longer cruises), I order from room service. For some reason, the price is always higher (something like $4.95, I think?) when I order on board. 

Together with f.e. excursions, I order the gallon of distilled water while still at home. And thank you RuthC, because I just checked my last account of a 4-weeks cruise in September and I paid $ 4,54 on board. Next time on a longer trip I will order more bottles beforehand. "He that will not stop for a pin will never be worth a pound" 🙂

Celebrity and RCCL give it to you for no extra charge.  HAL charges.  Ship water works okay.  I use CPAP and use distilled water at home, unless I run out.  Then I just use home tap water until I buy more distilled.  I am not sure why we use distilled water, unless it is because some places the tap water has a lot of minerals in it that may leave residue in the water chamber.  I also do a nasal rinse each morning for sever allergies.  I ALWAYS use distilled water for that.

23 hours ago, TBurr said:

I sent an e-mail to SpecialNeeds at HAL, and they confirmed distilled water and and extension cord in my cabin.

what is the special needs email?

8 minutes ago, TBurr said:

special_needs@rccl.com

Thanks TBurr, but this must not be correct!?  Can you post again please?

There's no problem getting a gallon bottle of distilled water delivered to your cabin.  Just ask for it at the main desk or order on the phone. Same thing goes for extension cord...front desk or your cabin steward.

Go on the HAL website, click on "Already Booked".   Go to the section where you can pre-order wine packages and beverages.  Scroll to the bottom.  You will see Distilled Water, one gallon jugs, $2.95 each.

My CPAP will use 1 gallon every 2 weeks.  For my next cruise of 29 days, I'll pre-order 2 gallons, and they will be in my cabin, under the desk when I board.   

In a pinch, you can use the tap water from the bathroom.  It is purified, desalinated sea water, so it doesn't have all the minerals that regular city water has at home.  Just rinse your reservoir daily when refilling.