READY-TO-GO - LIVE  REPORTS FROM CRYSTAL SERENITY FOLLOWING A “MAGICAL FAMILY” GETAWAY

14 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

keith,

do you also have a blog besides doing your posts on cruise critic?  if so, could you give me the link to your blog please?

Thank you  for your nice comments on your earlier post.

Absolutely.

In addition  to the link  that Roy provided this one will take you right to the blog.

https://www.followourtrips.com/current-blog

Keith

FIRST DAY OF SIX SEA DAYS AS WE TRAVEL TO FRENCH POLYNESIA

It's been a terrific 24 hours.

As part of turn-around day in-transit guests had to leave the ship to get to a zero count.   As they say bring your patience as the wait can vary each  time you do this  in the same or any USA  port.   We  did  bring our patience.  After passing through USA immigration we sat in one section of the terminal room with lots of other in-transit guests for  a little over an hour.   Anne  Marie  spoke with two friends on the full world cruise and I  was across the way and met  two people on the  full World Cruise who I had never met before.   This is also the first time they have sailed  Crystal.  They gave me the wife's card and I loved that in included the following: The Glass is Half Full.

Once on board the ship we walked for awhile. Visitors  got on first and we saw some friends  including some from this board who were visiting people for the day.  We also saw some former employees of  Crystal and several members from Crystal on land were visiting.  Once newly guests  boarded we visited with many.

Lunch for us was at   Waterside  where  we enjoyed a  traditional  embarkation lunch of a Cobb Salad and a Flute Of Champagne.

IMG_8408.thumb.jpeg.6f828175811b422c23922475803ae601.jpeg

IMG_8410.thumb.jpeg.0c9384cc19afbc6f1570b335cb6bf798.jpeg

Spent rest of afternoon visiting with more people, getting a walk  in. 

Pre-Dinner Drinks at the Crystal Cove.  Pianist Richard Pucci dazzled everyone with his music.  He did play a Beatles Medley and he played our wedding song which believe it or not was not a Beatles  song.  LOL.

2112245518_IMG_25432.thumb.jpeg.efe61a8ef93310f5aa4ac2b48831ae69.jpeg

IMG_5479.thumb.jpeg.a0a3fe63fa69cdb99dc53a4800390e23.jpeg

Dinner  at  Umi Uma with dear friends.  Waiter  Sheila and Sommelier Jay took excellent care of us.

1793468904_IMG_79172.thumb.jpeg.2d51d713bc064ab47772e2cdafbf21ee.jpeg

IMG_9781.thumb.jpeg.f68170697ef1e4ea65e784318a25d2f6.jpeg

693218388_IMG_20612.thumb.jpeg.dcdd53eacda320d376e7fe840e87ed46.jpeg

IMG_1733.thumb.jpeg.0027c38bdbc397b0ab3f8ceb69e8e287.jpeg

Then it was off to the Balloon Drop.

IMG_7801.thumb.jpeg.23119c7e689e4f5d0b3840d5d0ccfac8.jpeg

2100971680_IMG_31102.thumb.jpeg.04e1959100070b23d8e8e2b140b33251.jpeg

Did I say we are having an excellent time?  Did I say we  are happy to be here?  

We are indeed having a great time.  We love being  here.  The   glass is half full.

Live is good.  Actually Live on-board Serenity is Great.

Cheers,

Keith

55 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

FIRST DAY OF SIX SEA DAYS AS WE TRAVEL TO FRENCH POLYNESIA

It's been a terrific 24 hours.

As part of turn-around day in-transit guests had to leave the ship to get to a zero count.   As they say bring your patience as the wait can vary each  time you do this  in the same or any USA  port.   We  did  bring our patience.  After passing through USA immigration we sat in one section of the terminal room with lots of other in-transit guests for  a little over an hour.   Anne  Marie  spoke with two friends on the full world cruise and I  was across the way and met  two people on the  full World Cruise who I had never met before.   This is also the first time they have sailed  Crystal.  They gave me the wife's card and I loved that in included the following: The Glass is Half Full.

Once on board the ship we walked for awhile. Visitors  got on first and we saw some friends  including some from this board who were visiting people for the day.  We also saw some former employees of  Crystal and several members from Crystal on land were visiting.  Once newly guests  boarded we visited with many.

Lunch for us was at   Waterside  where  we enjoyed a  traditional  embarkation lunch of a Cobb Salad and a Flute Of Champagne.

IMG_8408.thumb.jpeg.6f828175811b422c23922475803ae601.jpeg

IMG_8410.thumb.jpeg.0c9384cc19afbc6f1570b335cb6bf798.jpeg

Spent rest of afternoon visiting with more people, getting a walk  in. 

Pre-Dinner Drinks at the Crystal Cove.  Pianist Richard Pucci dazzled everyone with his music.  He did play a Beatles Medley and he played our wedding song which believe it or not was not a Beatles  song.  LOL.

2112245518_IMG_25432.thumb.jpeg.efe61a8ef93310f5aa4ac2b48831ae69.jpeg

IMG_5479.thumb.jpeg.a0a3fe63fa69cdb99dc53a4800390e23.jpeg

Dinner  at  Umi Uma with dear friends.  Waiter  Sheila and Sommelier Jay took excellent care of us.

1793468904_IMG_79172.thumb.jpeg.2d51d713bc064ab47772e2cdafbf21ee.jpeg

IMG_9781.thumb.jpeg.f68170697ef1e4ea65e784318a25d2f6.jpeg

693218388_IMG_20612.thumb.jpeg.dcdd53eacda320d376e7fe840e87ed46.jpeg

IMG_1733.thumb.jpeg.0027c38bdbc397b0ab3f8ceb69e8e287.jpeg

Then it was off to the Balloon Drop.

IMG_7801.thumb.jpeg.23119c7e689e4f5d0b3840d5d0ccfac8.jpeg

2100971680_IMG_31102.thumb.jpeg.04e1959100070b23d8e8e2b140b33251.jpeg

Did I say we are having an excellent time?  Did I say we  are happy to be here?  

We are indeed having a great time.  We love being  here.  The   glass is half full.

Live is good.  Actually Live on-board Serenity is Great.

Cheers,

Keith

Good morning Keith!

Checked out your travel blog and your wonderful writings👍
The sushi looks good for me right now for breakfast LOL.

Enjoy the beginning of this segment of the WC.

Denise😊

Thank you Denise  for your thoughtful  comments.

I  thought I would add a couple of comments about Umi Uma.

As they did on last years World Cruise they added a  special to Umi Uma.  Last night it  was the second food photo.  I believe it was  crab inside.  Very tasty.

I liked the way that waiter Sheila served the sushi and sashimi.   Instead of one  large  platter  all of  the  sashimi came on one plate  and when we finished the plate Sheila  brought out the sushi.

Both couples made sushi/sashimi the majority of  the meal.  There  certainly was sufficient food for  that.

After we all finished the  appetizers my final course was the hot sob noodles soup, Anne Marie had  a salad with scallops on top and Sheila had them make the  salad  larger since she was having this as sort of an entree and I think  the other couple both  had  salads.  

Amazing dinner.  

As I've mentioned as much as I love Umi Uma I prefer to not go there too often so when we do go we are excited to be dining there again.  We do have  one there  booking there for this leg and  on the first leg we went once.

Cheers,

Keith

thank you for the fabulous pictures of your lunch.  your photos are really "crystal" clear and a pleasure to look at.   i could almost have eaten the food right from your photo it looked so good.

thanks for giving me the link to your current blog too.

by the way, i met roy in basel last november.  he was getting off the crystal bach river cruise from amsterdam to basel and i was getting on it going the opposite direction.  we arranged to meet at the train station, which we did, and we correspond frequently.

BON VOYAGE for this leg of your round the world adventure!

Just now, ctjon said:

On world cruises doesn't Crystal announce the beginnings of a new years itineraries? If so will be interested to hear 2023 and see if any mention of new ships - which I doubt at this time.

Jonathan, you are correct.  Specifics of the 2023 WC itinerary  should come out later on the  World Cruise.  Traditionally  they allow those on board  to book the 2023 World  Cruise starting the day it is announced  on the ship.

I expect when Crystal is ready  to announce a new ship that the announcement would not be made at the same time the 2023 World Cruise  itinerary is rolled  out.

Keith

6 hours ago, ellbon said:

We have a new. ..to me..piano man..yea! After all last winter and a month on board ..finally..a man who plays and sings to people who are between 50 and 70. AVE was busy for a first night.

glad to find out Joel Spire is in the Avenue.  We sailed with him in September and really enjoyed him.

Nancy

7 hours ago, nancygp said:

glad to find out Joel Spire is in the Avenue.  We sailed with him in September and really enjoyed him.

Nancy

He is great. Due to rocky seas I left after one set. After a boring first month I will be enjoying  him until he leaves. I do not think he I’d finishing the WC which is sad. He plays the music we all know and like. 

8 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Jonathan, you are correct.  Specifics of the 2023 WC itinerary  should come out later on the  World Cruise.  Traditionally  they allow those on board  to book the 2023 World  Cruise starting the day it is announced  on the ship.

I expect when Crystal is ready  to announce a new ship that the announcement would not be made at the same time the 2023 World Cruise  itinerary is rolled  out.

Keith

I know last year 2022 was talked about. I signed up the day the paper hit my cabin.

Super bad medical tonight about 7 or 730. Gurney went flying thru Cove with a man on it and four people rushing him to medical. By the time I left dinner rumors were flying we were taking him south to Carbo vs back to,L.A.  as we left L.A. last night I would think back  would be closer.

either way scary for family and not sure why we can not fly him out. Been on ships guest flew out.the guest was air lifted off ship. 

So we might be missing a few ports and spend another sea day in bed.

Let me begin by saying that thoughts and prayers go out to the man with the medical situation.  We have  a super Doctor on-board Serenity  and an impressive team of nurses.  The most important priority is safety and of people.

I wanted to share a some comments about  something I have posted here over the years and that going back to no two cruises are the same with  many factors  contributing to this and this is "Crystal Clear" on this cruise.

Let's start with the weather.  People ask what will the weather be like crossing the Pacific or for that matter anywhere?  My answer it depends.  This is true.  Yesterday is an example of this.  I've been on some crossings where the first day out of Los Angeles  is rainy, windy, with large sea swells and you can't even walk  outside thinking you  will  be blown off the ship.  Yesterday began with wet decks and  it being  cloudy and some  moisture .  By afternoon temperature was  a delight, not too windy and  the sun came out from time to time and I could  play  Paddle  Tennis.  Yes the pool was  not  busy  but that is to  be expected.

Passenger demographics.  In 2015 we had a hard core of about 10 full World Cruisers who would sign up for the indoor cycling classes and between them and people on the segments the waitlist was as long as the number who could get in.  This included  some people from this board.  On the first leg it was four or less people  attending the classes and one was just me and the Fitness Instructor.  This changed  yesterday.  While I don't believe any  who attended are on the  full  World Cruise most bikes were in use.  Same goes for the Fitness Center. Overall already busier than  the first leg.  Same for Yoga.  

There is also a higher energy which I could sense on this cruise than the first leg.  The Captain's Reception was well attended last evening and once again a certain buzz in the air.

I truly believe every cruise is different so one one cruise you might like something  or not like something and it might be reverse the next cruise.

Crystal is now using some dishes in Waterside that we didn't see when we were on last year.  I didn't take one of the caviar I had which had the new dish but I did take one of the Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail.

IMG_3524.thumb.jpeg.b3aa6d9dc62c4d05744c85b73e01e960.jpeg

World Cruise Games signups began yesterday which is normally not the  case. With limited sea days they had to start right away.  Opening ceremony this evening and games start tomorrow and hopefully the outside  weather will cooperate as I don't believe there is much flexibility to reschedule events cancelled due to weather.

IMG_7135.thumb.jpeg.6698252d9e8b991859f0a618df6712cb.jpeg

IMG_7408.thumb.jpeg.eaefe4a11308b9e2d18d97f0126c1ca1.jpeg

Let me close by saying those of us who can cruise are very fortunate as the vast majority of people on planet Earth will never had this opportunity.  At the same time  last  night was another example  of how things can turn quickly when it comes to the health  of each of us.  These two things collectively are a reminder  to  me to be thankful  for the opportunities we have and  to  make each day count.

Cheers,

Keith

23 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

I realize that WC and new ships are totally different issues - I had hoped in the past that maybe a new ship would be available for a WC and thus announced.  I would expect in the next several months when rest of 2023 is announced we will either hear about new or put off that hope to 2024.  I think that once people start booking for 2023 and a new ship is announce for 2023 chaos in re-booking would occur.

Just now, ctjon said:

I realize that WC and new ships are totally different issues - I had hoped in the past that maybe a new ship would be available for a WC and thus announced.  I would expect in the next several months when rest of 2023 is announced we will either hear about new or put off that hope to 2024.  I think that once people start booking for 2023 and a new ship is announce for 2023 chaos in re-booking would occur.

Jonathan, I don't see the announcement of the new World Cruise being dependent on the new ship.

If a new ship is in the the works for 2023 it would not be used for World Cruise 2023.

Often what we see is the details for a World Cruise being announced on a current World Cruise.  Let's take  2023.

Sometime during this cruise World Cruise  2023 is announced.  The  last few years pricing  has been available at the time of announcement.

If recent history is a guide the rest of 2023 for Ocean Vessels is usually not made until later in the summer.  Even with a new ship for 2023 they could first announce the rest of the 2023 itineraries for Serenity and Symphony and depending on timing of a new ship (we are just speculating because we have no idea 2023 or when) that can be done separately.

Also should there be a  new ship in 2023  when it comes to 2024 it doesn't mean it would be used for a World  Cruise.  Although in the  past Crystal used the  new ship for  a World Cruise such as Serenity taking over for Symphony,  Regent isn't using the their newer ships for World Cruises and some of the others lines don't either.  Silversea  comes to  mind.

As they say, time will tell.

Keith

17 hours ago, ellbon said:

He is great. Due to rocky seas I left after one set. After a boring first month I will be enjoying  him until he leaves. I do not think he I’d finishing the WC which is sad. He plays the music we all know and like. 

We are still very fondly remembering him from our October Symphony cruise.

Remember to keep your larynx well lubricated, so that you can sing along !!

Good morning Keith!

Enjoyed your blog this morning over my coffee and as others have said and you may the individual with a medical emergency come through and may rejoin later! On Oceania one of the individuals had a heart attack over in Europe and several weeks later was able to return to his cruise and with a happy ending even got married on the ship!

Hope the weather gets even better for you on these sea days!

Denise😊

28 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

colin,

I really hope Joel will be on our cruise later this year!!!  We really enjoyed him.

Nancy

I really am afraid of medical emergencies … during all my cruises i am afraid I saw twice people passing away of heart attacks - I also saw people of a decent age collapsing due to high consumption of drinks - emergency call and they luckily recovered

during my Cunard period until 1999 the doctors on board were all surgeons able to do the elementary items as an appendicitis

during 6 days at sea a lot can happen …

Mwgw, Denise and Vistaman....Thank you for your comments about blog and/or posts and/or medical situation.

Captain Birger spoke from the Bridge  around 9:00 AM to give everyone an update.  We are expected to reach Cabo tomorrow morning so that  the guest can be taken off the ship to get to a medical hospital on-land.

We have been on many sailings with medical emergencies some requiring evacuation by helicopter,  a military  vessel,  going back to port, or those who  can  remain on board until the  next port.  Just  like at the community we live at home sometimes the person doesn't recover but more often than not many do recover and  some return back on the same or future cruise. Each  situation is  clearly different  based on the person,  their  medical situation  and  where  we are at the time of the  incident and where the ship will  be sailing over the coming months.

Our thoughts  and  prayers are with the person and I am a believer in positive thoughts.  

Keith

1 hour ago, kool kruiser said:

He is great.. I drink my water and along with singing I got some dancing in,. Much happier Ave this cruise than the last month. To bad he is only on to.AU vs the end of cruise.   He should be on at least to,Sinapore . I am sure the Ave will not be as busy then.

pulse was up and down last cruise. There were a few dancers when I went in but not enough. Would pop in over Cmas but  hardly any dancers more talkers.

I was surprised we sailed to Carbo vs going back to,states. 

We had two  that I knew of during my fall Asia  cruise. At least we were still in port. In each case as crew member went  along to help at hospital .

also,seen a copter at night trying to use a ladder to get them help.

if I was American I think I want to go back to,states.

as far as weather..Keith more power to you. Spent day resting in cabin.made it to dinner and Ave. it held onto walls and chairs . Later I tried dancing but had the need of a few chairs.

not signing up.for swimming as we can only swim in sea days..looks like.  Very few good ones for swimming . Oh well..maybe another year.