READY-TO-GO - LIVE  REPORTS FROM CRYSTAL SERENITY FOLLOWING A “MAGICAL FAMILY” GETAWAY

I could be "wrong" but I believe we had seven entertainers from Papeete to Auckland.  

I show we had:

Steve Cavuette

Cory Kahaney

Jamilla

Kim

Simon

Chris 

Rebecca & Philippe

Shirin...I do agree with you that  the norm would not be three pianists and not sure why they had three on this cruise.  I think it might have been better if they were not in a row but believe this was done because at least one night I think they went with the pianist because of the motion of the ship which is why they didn't space them out to avoid doing a dance production one of the nights.   At the same time they each were very different in terms of the type of show they performed and they each received standing ovations at least the times we were there.

Liz, I will try to ask Jaryd about the food item.

Nancy, thank you so very much and you are right we were very fortunate to have relatively clear skies and full sun.

CruiserFromMaine, yes we really are enjoying George.  We've had wonderful sommelier's on each segment which we greatly appreciate.

Keith

I think I saw two shows last cruise plus Fosse.  I know I did not go to one piano show. Saw the comic at the late late show. Singer I did see.

to many dinner or not my style.  Since this cruise started not on ship or in cabin. Maybe  later in cruise on a sea day. Port days just to much fun outside to be on ship.

13 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Shirin...I do agree with you that  the norm would not be three pianists and not sure why they had three on this cruise

They sure must think Crystal guests love pianists as I see they kept Chris Martin on for the current segment to do another performance last night - I can only hope for those continuing on and on the full WC it was a different show than last segment 

I believe Cory Kahaney was on the LA to Papeete leg - with Steve Caouette being the only comedian on the last leg (and a very good one too I might add)

I guess there’s nothing that can be done on this now except to note it in our Customer Surveys as something that didn’t work out 

Good morning from Napier.

Yesterday was a sea day with an arrival originally planned for 6:00 PM.   Weather was terrific making it a great day to enjoy being both inside and outside Serenity.  Lots of people were out on the pool deck while others such as myself were enjoying Paddle Tennis.  

A very good lecture given by World Affairs Lecturer Robert Fredeman about security challenges facing New Zealand and Australia.  While the style of the lecture is more like being in class at University there were many take-aways from it with respect to China, its influences in this region and the implications it has for New Zealand, Australia and places around the world including the USA and Europe.  For those of you who are not on-board now but will be on a future cruise if it is available when you board on the on-demand section I would highly recommend it.  A lot to think about.

We were supposed to arrive to Napier at 6:00 PM but at around 4:45 PM Captain Birger spoke from the bridge to inform everyone that the Pilot Boat was running late.  Around 5:25 PM they arrived and we could see the boat making its way to Serenity while sitting up at Palm Court having a drink.

IMG_0648.thumb.jpeg.b83fb03d503e6e4ceb5858845d353875.jpeg

For those of you who have not visited New Zealand but have considered it I highly recommend a visit.  This is our fourth time to New Zealand and we are enjoying it as much now as the first time.  There are so many options of things to do and places to visit.  It's interesting hearing what guests who are visiting here for the first time think of it which has all been positive.  Lots of beauty, so much to see and wonderful and welcoming people.  And let us not forget the Sheep who still outnumber the people of this country with many more sheep compared to a population of less than five million people.  Often on tours I will ask locals from all countries what is the biggest challenge and more often than not the answer in New Zealand is not enough people.  

I'll close with a couple of food photos from Waterside.

This was a mushroom salad appetizer which both of us have had before and Anne Marie had last evening.

IMG_9362.thumb.jpeg.13dac3adf8eca3948fb984689b26eaae.jpeg

This is the Red Snapper in Curry sauce which we both enjoyed last evening.

174450939_IMG_93652.thumb.jpeg.f11600269a745862cf9b027208b52a89.jpeg

Cheers,

Keith

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I believe Cory Kahaney was on the LA to Papeete leg - with Steve Caouette being the only comedian on the last leg (and a very good one too I might add)

I guess there’s nothing that can be done on this now except to note it in our Customer Surveys as something that didn’t work out 

Correct re Cory Kahaney and we will be doing likewise on our Customer Survey

Always good idea to make use of the survey for those things you especially enjoy and those things you don't.  I think both ways is a good idea.   I say both because I have seen some things changed over the years based on a small minority of people who were just vocal about it and often wonder if those who really enjoyed noted it whether or not it would have changed.  😀

Yes, I found my mistake on Cory.  I save each Reflections to a PDF on my computer (no longer have to bring them home) and I had the incorrect date on the PDF.

The seventh one I counted Violinist Irina who performed with Jamila.  Yes I know this is up to interpretation as to whether or not Irina is considered an entertainer in this role but I summarized her as one as I do Gary Hunter when he performs as a Ventriloquist.  

As I mentioned earlier I did find three pianists as an exception and certainly not the norm so feedback on those lines is good to note on the survey as each one did get a standing ovation and each one was certainly different from one another but maybe a good idea to have had two rather than three on the sailing.

Keith

On 2/20/2020 at 7:39 PM, lizbeth said:

Hi Keith --

I've been drooling over your food photos, especially the salmon! 

When we were on Serenity 2 months ago, there was a dish on the breakfast buffet that I enjoyed every day. And I have attempted to make it at home several times -- and failed every time.

It's on the Marketplace buffet in the same area with the fresh fruit (melons, pineapple, kiwi, etc). It's in a small white square-ish dish and topped with a few berries, with a banana slice on the bottom. It looks like "overnight oats" or Bircher meusli -- but it's not. <sigh> Could you persuade Jarryed to tell you what's in it or how it's made?? (Tell him you are asking for Mrs. Blunt) He always greeted me by name, so perhaps he will tell you & you can post it on this board for me? Exact measurements are not necessary (I don't need to make 200 servings).

Hoping you can find out! Many thanks from a fellow Texan!

-Liz B.

Liz....

I spoke with Jarryd for you.

There are different ways to make it but here is what he recommended.

Soak oats in 2/3 milk and 1/3 cream over night, 

You can  use raw oats or toast them.

You can add honey and any other fruits you may like.

Liz...I hope this helps.

Keith

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

For those of you who have not visited New Zealand but have considered it I highly recommend a visit.  This is our fourth time to New Zealand and we are enjoying it as much now as the first time.  There are so many options of things to do and places to visit.  It's interesting hearing what guests who are visiting here for the first time think of it which has all been positive.  Lots of beauty, so much to see and wonderful and welcoming people.

Keith, I have a cruise visiting Australia and New Zealand later this year (not on Crystal).  Your posts and pictures are adding to my excitement.  Thanks for all your effort in keeping the thread and the blog.

Hi Keith. Hopefully we will be able to join Serenity on 3/3 in Sydney. Waiting until Monday to hear from them. In the meantime, are there alot of people at the pools during sea days? Just curious about the amount of chairs available. Also is it wise to get Australian dollars or can we just use US dollars. Thank again for your help.

19 hours ago, rzmz89 said:

Hi Keith. Hopefully we will be able to join Serenity on 3/3 in Sydney. Waiting until Monday to hear from them. In the meantime, are there alot of people at the pools during sea days? Just curious about the amount of chairs available. Also is it wise to get Australian dollars or can we just use US dollars. Thank again for your help.

On most days of this segment it has been easy to get chairs from what I can see.  Keep in mind many people are out on tours.

It is easy to get Australian dollars.  You can get them at ATM's which is what we do.  We mainly use Credit Card which of course is widely accepted but we do have some local dollars for items which we do not want to use a Credit Card.  You could probably get away with a credit card only if you choose.  

Keith

1 hour ago, rzmz89 said:

Also is it wise to get Australian dollars or can we just use US dollars

Australia has its own currency - US$ are not legal tender in Australia and most merchants would not be interested in US$ transactions

You can use your credit card or payment systems like Apple Pay for most purchases 

Andy I am sorry I don't have any insider information.   

As soon as I did see the announcement what ran through my mind is for those who are departing in Singapore or arriving to Singapore the weekend will seem like an eternity.  Sort of like waiting the weekend to get medical tests back.  All I've heard is they are finalizing the logistics of whatever changes are being planned.   

Hoping the changes cause minimal impact on your plans as well as others in the same situation.

Keith

WELCOME TO NAPIER

Well before Napier we are doing some rocking and rolling.   For those who don't care for movement of the ship hopefully they are still sleeping.  😀

In my case I did hear some rumbling over two hours ago and just decided it was time to begin the day.   The force was strong enough that for the first time we heard some noise from either our verandah or one nearby but that has subsided.   When I did my workout on the Elliptical Machine I didn't hydrate as I wanted to keep both hands gripped on the equipment.  Other than that, no big deal.  LOL   😀
For me I have been in far worse than this and it is all about the experience of being at sea.

Lovely visit yesterday to Napier.  Timing is everything and I think the guests and those members of the crew who had time to go into town had a great time since they held the Art Deco Festival..  Lots of people dressed in clothing from back in the day (back before our time) and many Vintage Cars in town.  1335969739_IMG_16134.thumb.jpeg.80424b949992447c803cf20000a35e8b.jpeg

1887139455_IMG_64962.thumb.jpeg.44a0000e3b1dd26d4779d2245a00a746.jpeg

1128876170_IMG_48722.thumb.jpeg.a6e9ebfd8422c9c310520b03819e8ffb.jpeg

Town is charming.   Our fourth time here.  Last time we walked to other areas of town and we were also on a mission.  I had gotten hit in the eye with a tennis ball and wanted to be sure I had not issues such as a detached retina and thankfully all was fine after I was checked out other than floaters.  Also were were very fortunate that day as I had a large Nikon Camera in hand and while walking with Anne Marie she made the mistake (something I do remind her about) of walking and not looking straight ahead as she was looking for something in particular towards the left and tripped on a curb and flew into the air.  I couldn't catch her with the large camera in hand and we are very (and I mean very) fortunate that she had just a scrap and nothing (like a hip) broken.  Lesson look straight ahead and if you want to look another way stop walking.  

IMG_2494.thumb.jpeg.e0168533457b917311743bd21a6d699b.jpeg

IMG_5103.thumb.jpeg.e3342a48508a11e5410a29794f468a76.jpeg

IMG_2495.thumb.jpeg.acd2ff99aa00fc04129163384abb6385.jpeg

IMG_9381.thumb.jpeg.fd7e1ce29ad4812753fe95e57dd7d2b8.jpeg

542182446_IMG_40632(1).thumb.jpeg.b0e51fdfea87a1362dccebcfbd686133.jpeg

IMG_2392.thumb.jpeg.57c75207ad6a8886cf766d7307e8f7e6.jpeg

In the early afternoon we had quite a show which could be seen downtown but also we had a beautiful viewing from Serenity with five vintage aircraft flying nearby and doing amazing maneuvers.  It was exciting to watch and the consensus of viewing this together  was thee same.  Exiciting to watch but...........  "You are not getting me into that aircraft".   

IMG_0209.thumb.jpeg.48a72130c61d899f7e83862a94936998.jpeg

1052007741_IMG_02102.thumb.jpeg.96a03440709cd2c49d2d900fdc911646.jpeg

Cheers,

Keith

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Andy I am sorry I don't have any insider information.   

As soon as I did see the announcement what ran through my mind is for those who are departing in Singapore or arriving to Singapore the weekend will seem like an eternity.  Sort of like waiting the weekend to get medical tests back.  All I've heard is they are finalizing the logistics of whatever changes are being planned.   

Hoping the changes cause minimal impact on your plans as well as others in the same situation.

Keith

Thanks Keith,

A long shot but I thought I'd ask! My TA seems to think Serenity might disembark Singapore guests in kuala Lumpur. Just an educated guess on her part. But she says if that is the case they will arrange onward flights for me to Singapore to make my connection homeward bound.

Nothing we can do but wait and see I guess!  

19 hours ago, rafinmd said:

If someone on board happens to be reading this, can you do me a favor and post where the location of the shuttle in Wellington will be today.

Thanks

Roy

Roy  according to Reflections it say shuttle from the pier to Wakefield Street by the I-Site.

19 hours ago, Flak999 said:

Thanks Keith,

A long shot but I thought I'd ask! My TA seems to think Serenity might disembark Singapore guests in kuala Lumpur. Just an educated guess on her part. But she says if that is the case they will arrange onward flights for me to Singapore to make my connection homeward bound.

Nothing we can do but wait and see I guess!  

Andy if I was a betting person I would guess the same.  It does say in the announcement   Serenity "voyages" and not voyage which leads one to think Singapore is being removed.  Given Symphony will begin one in Kuala Lumpur and given it was the first stop for Serenity after leaving Singapore it seems to make the most sense for a turn around stop for the voyage you are on plus the next one.  

Keith

1 hour ago, Flak999 said:

My thoughts as well Keith, we shall see!

Andy.

Mine too.  We plan to join March 20 or whenever, and wherever, she may be embarking passengers.  KL seems a cosmetic/symbolic move to me but Singapore officials may have necessitated the move.  We haven't decided, and won't before Monday, whether to keep our SIN flights and add a shuttle at the end or fly directly to KUL.  Prefer the former, may be forced by circumstance into the latter.

Edited by flyingshoes

Andy, it could be the port in Malaysia but it could another port.

What I believe them mean about logistics is finding a port that is available for the days required, obviously one conducive for flights getting guests in as well as crew and also one where they can get all of the food and other related containers too.  This is why they needed the weekend to tie all of this down. 

Keith

Roy, while I was playing Paddle Tennis a little while ago I saw you walking by the court.  Welcome back.

The day started out windy and rainy but now the weather has turned very nice.

Anne Marie looked up the forecast for tomorrow and assuming it is right it looks like a nice day.  We have a tour planned so hoping the forecast is right.

Keith

On 2/22/2020 at 6:09 PM, Stickman1990 said:

Australia has its own currency - US$ are not legal tender in Australia and most merchants would not be interested in US$ transactions

You can use your credit card or payment systems like Apple Pay for most purchases 

I would never think to use American in AU nor am in NZ. Still have a couple days to use up my change