READY-TO-GO - LIVE  REPORTS FROM CRYSTAL SERENITY FOLLOWING A “MAGICAL FAMILY” GETAWAY

Hi Keith,

I am thoroughly enjoying your Blog and the wealth of information about everything Crystal - thank you.  
We have back to back cruises booked starting 22nd May this year - 9 & 7 days.

The first cruise has a BTO night on 27th May and I have attempted to book the Supper Club. The response is that there are no tables available. At 4 months out, should I assume that the venue is fully booked or that there will be no Supper Club or should I keep trying?   I have been able to book Prego and Umi Uma. 
I welcome your comments. 

Ann.

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

For those  of you  who look closely at the menu  you will undoubtedly see a mega priced wine listed.  When we noticed it we got a nice laugh.  A typo?  I think so.   😀

Keith

Probably not a typo -- I looked up the wine and that is the going rate.  Must be some wine!

Just now, comas said:

Hi Keith,

I am thoroughly enjoying your Blog and the wealth of information about everything Crystal - thank you.  
We have back to back cruises booked starting 22nd May this year - 9 & 7 days.

The first cruise has a BTO night on 27th May and I have attempted to book the Supper Club. The response is that there are no tables available. At 4 months out, should I assume that the venue is fully booked or that there will be no Supper Club or should I keep trying?   I have been able to book Prego and Umi Uma. 
I welcome your comments. 

Ann.

Ann, You should definitely  assume there is one Supper Club on the nine day sailing.   It  is likely fully  booked at this stage.  We  had two Supper Clubs  on this cruise and the first one  was booked  at least  three and one-half  months out when I tried to add to more guests to our reservation of 2.  I am not sure  precisely  when  it  was full.

I would suggest two things.  Have your TA contact  Crystal Cruises to verify if it is booked.   If so  have  them had your names  added to the waitlist.   If there  are not many people on the waitlist you have a good chance of clearing it. Even yesterday there we a few no shows and they  contacted people at the  last minute to get them in.

I  hope you are able to get into the Supper Club.  

Keith

On 1/18/2020 at 9:08 AM, AllisonJames said:

Hi Keith, thanks from all of us who can only dream of a World Cruise and for providing future inspiration for our retirement! Belated comment about your beautiful ad for Crystal — in the last year I have really noticed the difference in Crystal’s ads (which show actual guests we can relate to) in contrast to other lines (Oceania springs to mind) which seem to show models in ridiculously posed formal and glitzy aspects that. Are me think, gee, we won’t fit in on THAT line, we are just regular people! So thanks to you both for helping with a great marketing campaign and by the way, you probably know this by now—you have the entire back cover of Porthole Magazine — well done!

HI Allison,  I just saw your  post and I wanted to thank  you for your very thoughtful comments.

While I knew it was running in Porthole Magazine  I  didn't  know we  were on  the back cover.  

Friends we went to dinner with the other night were also  featured in Ads that ran in several magazines several months ago.  We all never thought we would  be in magazine ads  and as  you  say it is  very nice that  Crystal  features real  guests.

Keith

5 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Ann, You should definitely  assume there is one Supper Club on the nine day sailing.   It  is likely fully  booked at this stage.  We  had two Supper Clubs  on this cruise and the first one  was booked  at least  three and one-half  months out when I tried to add to more guests to our reservation of 2.  I am not sure  precisely  when  it  was full.

I would suggest two things.  Have your TA contact  Crystal Cruises to verify if it is booked.   If so  have  them had your names  added to the waitlist.   If there  are not many people on the waitlist you have a good chance of clearing it. Even yesterday there we a few no shows and they  contacted people at the  last minute to get them in.

I  hope you are able to get into the Supper Club.  

Keith

Thank you Keith.  Very useful information, which had not crossed my mind. 
I will definitely try that approach. 
Ann. 

Just now, mchell810 said:

Probably not a typo -- I looked up the wine and that is the going rate.  Must be some wine!

I just  looked it up and you are right probably not a typo.

Definitely not at a price point I would ever consider.   😀

Keith

Robin I actually asked about this last night while we were standing in line.

By and large those who cancel do so with plenty of lead time.

We received a confirming phone call the other  day and also a confirming card and by and large those who can't attend do cancel.   This  has been a big help.  

However there were a couple of no shows with notification  by another couple 45 minutes before it began.  The good news is  they were able to call others on the wait list to attend.

13 hours ago, mchell810 said:

I think this about the La Tache 2005  by Romanée Conti   :

ONE bottle is ranging between  3700 and 4750 euro ….i am curious who is going to drink that wine

everything made by Romanée Conti is simply onerous  , it was always extremely expensive but the prices really exploded

During my cruise on the Crystal Esprit , there were 4 (from the 5) firsth growth Bordeaux from the onerous year 2000 on the wine list( various prices ) and a Pétrus 2009  at around 4700 dollar

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Robin I actually asked about this last night while we were standing in line.

By and large those who cancel do so with plenty of lead time.

We received a confirming phone call the other  day and also a confirming card and by and large those who can't attend do cancel.   This  has been a big help.  

However there were a couple of no shows with notification  by another couple 45 minutes before it began.  The good news is  they were able to call others on the wait list to attend.

In general between noon and one I.  cancel   dinner  plans if I can tell seas are rocking for me. This space is special  and others have a right to get in. So far only went once. If I could hdtba veggie main I would go more often 

I really don't  think  anyone would even want  to go more than once.  The performance on  this voyage would have been precisely the  same on both night.  With up to  116 per night that is  232 of the 900+ guests we had on board.  The  bookings were open on  PCPC the  day one made final  deposit.  

Vistaman...Thank you for your post about the wine.

Keith

A GREAT DAY  AT SEA - WELCOME TO LOS ANGELES

Yesterday  was a lovely day on-board Serenity inside and outside the ship.

On the blog I highlight lectures and other on board activities  during the day so I won't cover those.

I was hoping to play Paddle  Tennis  yesterday and in the  morning  it  didn't look very promising as the decks  were  wet  and  it  was cloudy and  windy.   Now  you  ask  why was it important to  play since I can  play until Sydney?

During this  cruise I have  met some very nice  people who are on their first Crystal Cruise from Paddle Tennis  and we were all looking forward to one final day of play.  Well, my wish came true.  After lunch the court was  dry.  I first wore a tennis jacket and  after   one  set  the  sun  came out and  it became  warmer  and  it turned out to  be  a lovely afternoon.

While we were playing  Captain Birger  spoke from the bridge.  When  he  came on at first I  was wondering if we had a medical emergency or some  other  issue.  That was  not the case.  He mentioned  that  the USS  Nimitz was conducting some  exercises  and we would see them    soon.  A  short  while  later  Captain  Birger  made  a second announcement  describing  the three fighter jets which  were flying  along with  the emergency  helicopter which tracks them.  We stopped  play as soon as  we  saw the  Nimitz and  we  watched the fighter  planes  and helicopter.   Anne Marie had  just returned to the room  (Robin I think  this  was shortly after she  saw you) and  took  a  couple of photos with her iPhone.  

IMG_0146.thumb.jpeg.caf4dc685480cea5b704cdb2843be0c1.jpeg

IMG_0145.thumb.jpeg.da765c3fb3f719ef54f45b7ac5b84c68.jpeg

We were treated  to some other fly over  a few hours later by a couple of  military  aircraft.

We  returned to the  Crystal Cove before dinner and that was a  treat.  We listened to Pianist  Richard Pucci  play a range of  songs including a few by The Beatles.

We were  then  treated to a performance  by the World  Cruise  Choir.  This is a tradition  of  every World Cruise  we have been on.  On  each segment anyone who would like to participate regardless of how long they are on  can join the choir.  The choir performs once or  twice  per  segment singing three to four songs.  Years ago on of the members of the entertainment  team led the choir and in recent years it has been Pastor Ed with help from his lovely  wife Ruth.  The fourth song  is a favorite for so many of us  whether we  hear it at sea or land.  Yes, the  song was What A Wonderful World.

We are now docked.  I was out on the promenade deck as we were making our way into the port.

IMG_8379.thumb.jpeg.0dfc7d02cb4129a934268ef38090a24f.jpeg

1510701633_IMG_83812.thumb.jpeg.b3270db18bc934a99dd6e8d0db566917.jpeg

Turn-Around is always a day with mixed emotions  for Anne Marie and myself regardless of whether  we  remaining  on-board or end our cruise.  

I  always  say no  two cruises are the same.  This  includes so  many  factors  and experiences.  You  might love the entertainment, enrichment, cuisine, ports just to name  a few and  on the next cruise have a slightly different view of one or more of each of these.   

The other factor and is the people  including  the crew and the guests. No two cruises  can be the same  because the people  change.  I  get sentimental  because some of the people we  have sailed  with we will never  see again.   

To  me the  ship  is a village and unlike  a small village on  land  the people who comprise  the village change with  each  succeeding voyage.

With that said  we know each time we return to Crystal we will know  several members who comprise the on-board team.  On each voyage  no matter what time  of year we always seem to run into fellow guests who  we have sailed with before.  On  a  World Cruise we sail  with  lots  of  fellow guests some of whom have become great friends who  return  every year,  or every few years,  or on even years, or on odd years and that includes guests doing the  full World Cruise or one or more segments.  

Today is one of the  larger  turn around days for crew  as around 100 crew  are leaving on very  well  deserved holidays while a similar  number of  crew join  Serenity today.

Well let me close by wishing  those traveling home safe travels.

We are having an amazing time.  When  people ask  us  each day how  we  are doing my answer  is:

"We are happy  to  be here."

"We are having  an  amazing  time."

Cheers,

Keith

I was on my way to lunch ..good but to much before Zumba class. 

Saw the boT but no explain what was happening. Can only be seen on starboard side and imam port

old out today and I have errands  to,do,as always in LA. Last land day for six long days at sea with half of them to cold to swim..

at least the sun sun is coming out now 

keith,

BON VOYAGE on this exciting and very long cruise across the pacific.

thank you for your blog.  all your comments, suggestions and advice are invaluable to all of us that enjoy cruising on crystal.  hope you have a wonderful adventure on the serenity and stay safe.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:38 AM, Keith1010 said:

For those  of you  who look closely at the menu  you will undoubtedly see a mega priced wine listed.  When we noticed it we got a nice laugh.  A typo?  I think so.   😀

Keith

That would be quite a laugh when you got the bill  😉

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/dom+de+la+romanee+conti+tache+grand+cru+burgundy+france/2005?Xsavecurrency=Y&Xcurrencycode=USD

Talk about  a mark up

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I really don't  think  anyone would even want  to go more than once.  The performance on  this voyage would have been precisely the  same on both night.  With up to  116 per night that is  232 of the 900+ guests we had on board.  The  bookings were open on  PCPC the  day one made final  deposit.  

Vistaman...Thank you for your post about the wine.

Keith

Keith we made final payment and I went online to make that reservation the same day. I was told it was sold out and after an employee laughed at me, I ask to be transferred to a supervisor and they put me on the waitlist. Guess our money wasn’t green enough. 

32 minutes ago, alwaysonaship said:

Keith we made final payment and I went online to make that reservation the same day. I was told it was sold out and after an employee laughed at me, I ask to be transferred to a supervisor and they put me on the waitlist. Guess our money wasn’t green enough. 

One time I tried to make reservations for the specialty restaurants a year out and it said waitlist so I sent an email to the PCPC folks and there was a system issue I’m not sure the timing  when you tried. I think I first made reservation ten months before the cruise and got it easily. For the first supper club of the sailingThen I tried to add friends around three and obehalmmonths I couldn’t add them in for the first one and ended up messing mine up which caused it to cancel. Fortunately I was able to get the four of us booked via PCPC for the second supper club. 

keith

25 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

Yes that's it.  Thanks Roy.

Are you having lunch on the ship now?

Enjoy it all!

Sure am.  Up at the Trident Grill.

Roy 

Edited by rafinmd
13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Sure am.  Up at the Trident Grill.

Roy 

Roy enjoy your lunch and the start of your journey!!! Sunny skies and nice weather for your SAILAWAY!

Looking forward again to all your pictures cabin and most IMPORTANT sunsets 🌅

Denise😊

Alas, we debarked today...

We had a great cruise and are now visiting some friends in San Diego. I’ll post a summary in the next day or so. 

It it was a little disappointing to see the balloons ready to drop upon sailing from LA when the world cruise started in Miami. I guess they only wanted to do it once. I sort of get that, but still...

Overall, it was a great cruise! Buon viaggio to all those sailing on!