Live-ish -- Dec 20 Thru Jan 5 South America/Antarctica on Coral Princess

erber

We will get to the horn area around 5:00 this afternoon. We cannot pick up the Chilean pilot as planned so we cannot circle around the horn. Instead we will sail by the iconic horn and then around 10:30 tonight pick up the pilot at a safer location. Weather  continues to be an issue.

The seas are still quite substantial but we are feeling fine. In the middle of the night it was very loud and rocky; now it is just somewhat rocky. Everything should calm down by the time we leave the horn area around 6:00 p.m.

Tomorrow is Ushuaia. It is supposed to be 57 F there tomorrow (14 C) and cloudy.

I'll try posting more photos later. It has not been cooperating again. I'll try and focus on things like patters and menus if I can get them to load and if people are still interested in those. Then I'll move on to scenic photos. I have a lot of good ones!

• Like 4

Photoscan is a free app from Google that helps you take clear pictures of objects behind glass such as the menus. I haven’t tried but read about it on a blog about cruising around Australia.

Edited by Britter16
Spell checker!

Here are a sampling from our cruising in Neumayer Channel. It still takes a long time to post these so I'm only doing a few so you all get the idea of the beauty of this particular experience on this itinerary ( although be aware that neither Charlotte Bay or Paradise Harbor were on our specific itinerary. They were added 1. since we would not be going to Esperanza Station; 2. due to weather issues; and 3. We had a little extra time). 

Thanks, Andrew J. Cat, for your post. It is much appreciated. 

IMG_20191228_090200~2.jpg

IMG_20191228_090524.jpg

IMG_20191228_101303.jpg

IMG_20191228_102726.jpg

• Like 5

Part of Patter for  Day 3 Antarctic scenic cruising. I'll do the rest in a separate post. 

We have been granted permission to be within 3 miles of Cape Horn even though we don't have the Chilean pilot on board.  So I will take some photos of it when we get there in about half an hour. 

IMG_20191227_183308.jpg

IMG_20191227_183325.jpg

Those are some really nice photos. Beautiful scenery that we are really looking forward to seeing in 2-3 weeks. 

I noticed the patter states the naturalists commentary can be heard on channel 36 of the cabin TVs. Is that the only way to hear it or is it also broadcast over the ships PA system around the ship? Maybe that’s the only way to hear it if you’re in your cabin? 

Thanks,

Chris

Rest of that Day 3 Antarctica cruising patter. 

Lectures are rebroadcast on channel 41 in a loop. 

Naturalist commentary at various points of interest is broadcast on deck and on channel 36 if you are in your cabin. 

IMG_20191227_183329.jpg

IMG_20191227_183354.jpg

2 hours ago, erber said:

Here are a sampling from our cruising in Neumayer Channel. It still takes a long time to post these so I'm only doing a few so you all get the idea of the beauty of this particular experience on this itinerary ( although be aware that neither Charlotte Bay or Paradise Harbor were on our specific itinerary. They were added 1. since we would not be going to Esperanza Station; 2. due to weather issues; and 3. We had a little extra time). 

Wow, such lovely pictures! Makes me want to go back to Antarctica! Thanks erber!

2 hours ago, erber said:

Ditto for Paradise Bay pictures - Wow, such lovely pictures! Makes me want to go back to Antarctica! Thanks erber!

Edited by websailor
added more

This is patter for day 2 Antarctica scenic cruising. I believe I posted the patter for Day 1 scenic cruising before the internet was not responsive to uploads. 

I'll post some photos of amazing icebergs and photos of Elephant Island next. Then I'm caught up to today! 

IMG_20191226_173436.jpg

IMG_20191226_173500.jpg

IMG_20191226_173505.jpg

IMG_20191226_173512.jpg

Cruise Atlas was delivered to each stateroom before we started Antarctic scenic cruising. 

One side of Elephant Island was shrouded in fog. The low cloud ceiling was odd. The other side was clear. 

IMG_20191226_055526.jpg

IMG_20191226_091620~2.jpg

IMG_20191226_112046.jpg

• Like 3