Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
wilmingtech

The Hidden Secrets of Norwegian Joy

Recommended Posts

I'm departing on the Joy tomorrow and I am not planning on a full review.  But I will post dailies and little things I find along the way that you can never find the answers to in a typical review.  Like artwork or annoyances, info on the sales they have during the week.

 

If there is anything you want to know and cannot find info on anywhere, let me know and I will try to get an answer for you.  No guarantees but I'll do my best over the next 7 days 🙂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Info on sales.  Already done.  Dufry will mark up items after last port then have a sale.  And yes, I know I likely did not spell their name right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also - We will be in the Haven as well so if you have any questions about the Haven on the Joy feel free to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to know the price for the race cars - price for a single ride and for a full day pass. 

 

Also, on the Platinum free dinner, what restaurant is substituted for Moderno?

 

Thanks for any info you can find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get to any non Haven bars, and think to photograph the menu, that would be awesome.  Mostly interested in the bar specific cocktails, not the spirits and wine part of the menu.  The two bars I’m having the most trouble finding are the Skyline, and A-List, although I’ll very happily peruse any you happen to get, since I’ll know it is current.  I want to include the “special to this bar” drinks on the pub crawl schedule I’m doing 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have been on The Bliss or Escape or Getaway/Breakaway, please let us know what you find that differs from those ships.

 

I would love to see pictures of the casino.....spend a lot of time there!   

Also, would love to see pictures of the shops to see what they carry.....also spend too much time there😉

 

Have a great cruise!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me know if you happen to run into a place to get a complimentary  latte or cappuccino. I am not in Haven. I have no problem going to Starbucks, but if there is a good alternative secret , why not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always interesting that folks start a thread to document “annoyances” and spend a whole cruise looking for things to complain about. 
 

We always look for the positives and ignore the annoyances which are present in every vacation (land or at sea). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Always interesting that folks start a thread to document “annoyances” and spend a whole cruise looking for things to complain about. 
 

We always look for the positives and ignore the annoyances which are present in every vacation (land or at sea). 

 

We appreciate reviewers who don't stick their heads in the sand and pretend the cruise is nothing but rainbows and unicorns.  An informed and prepared cruiser often avoids or mitigates the annoyances which makes for a very enjoyable cruise.  We are looking forward to the unvarnished review.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Always interesting that folks start a thread to document “annoyances” and spend a whole cruise looking for things to complain about. 
 

We always look for the positives and ignore the annoyances which are present in every vacation (land or at sea). 

Dont be an @$$.  I'm not starting a thread to complain about a cruise.  My goal was to find things that are not in a typical review and provide solutions to things that might be "annoying" to the typical cruiser.  Find answers to questions people might not get the answers to in a typical review. 

 

We may find that a certain bar is empty on embarkation day or that 678 is mobbed for making reservations while there are other places to do so without standing in a long line.  

 

It's always interesting that on this website the "high and mighty" ***** and complain about other posters willing to spend their time to find solutions and provide information to other cruisers.

 

I am trying  to understand why would you would jump to the conclusion that I am someone who is going to look for all the problems on a cruise?

 

Have you read not one of any post that I have ever made? 

 

Please dont group me with posters such as "Love My But***" or "Dexddd" it's certainly not my style. 

 

This off handed post you have made really puts me off as up to this point I have enjoyed and appreciated the information that you provided. Honestly I'm only replying to your comment out of respect as I know your not trolling for negative responses.  There are others on this forum not worth wasting time with as it would be like arguing with a 12yo.

 

Why dont you wait until I have actually posted a negative comment about the cruise before ASSuming that this whole thread is dedicated to burying NCL in negativity.

 

-Sean 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Katie H said:

I would like to know the price for the race cars - price for a single ride and for a full day pass. 

 

Also, on the Platinum free dinner, what restaurant is substituted for Moderno?

 

Thanks for any info you can find.

I'll check on prices for the go carts.  What I know up to this point is 15/ride and 199/week (about 13 single rides adds up to the 199).  I'm guessing they dont have day passes but will ask.

3 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

If you get to any non Haven bars, and think to photograph the menu, that would be awesome.  Mostly interested in the bar specific cocktails, not the spirits and wine part of the menu.  The two bars I’m having the most trouble finding are the Skyline, and A-List, although I’ll very happily peruse any you happen to get, since I’ll know it is current.  I want to include the “special to this bar” drinks on the pub crawl schedule I’m doing 🙂

Bar Menus - Got it 😉 Will ask the bartenders as well.

3 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

If you have been on The Bliss or Escape or Getaway/Breakaway, please let us know what you find that differs from those ships.

 

I would love to see pictures of the casino.....spend a lot of time there!   

Also, would love to see pictures of the shops to see what they carry.....also spend too much time there😉

 

Have a great cruise!

 

Have only been on Star and Jewel.  Will take some pics of the casino if I dont get in trouble for that and glad to take photos of the shopping areas.

2 hours ago, 2+2 said:

Let me know if you happen to run into a place to get a complimentary  latte or cappuccino. I am not in Haven. I have no problem going to Starbucks, but if there is a good alternative secret , why not.

I'll check but my guess from previous cruises on the Star and Jewel is that Latte's cost $$.  We have made lattes on our Haven suite with the Lavazza machine that was provided but it's not the same as Starbucks.  But if we figure out how to steam some milk and get some espresso into it outside the Haven I will let you know.  I'd also be glad to take pictures of the Starbucks menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

If you have been on The Bliss or Escape or Getaway/Breakaway, please let us know what you find that differs from those ships.

 

I would love to see pictures of the casino.....spend a lot of time there!   

Also, would love to see pictures of the shops to see what they carry.....also spend too much time there😉

 

Have a great cruise!

 

We just got back from the Joy about a week ago.  The observation lounge is the biggest plus compared to the Breakaway class ships.  Joy also has go carts/laser tags and other novelties we did not have time for.  

 

As far as the casino goes they had a smoking section and a non-smoking section.  It was laid out similar to the Breakaway but the smoking area was glassed off in its own separate area which was nice for the smokers and made the rest of the ship smell better. Not enough video poker machines was my biggest complaint regarding the casino.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wilmingtech said:

I'm departing on the Joy tomorrow and I am not planning on a full review.  But I will post dailies and little things I find along the way that you can never find the answers to in a typical review.  Like artwork or annoyances, info on the sales they have during the week.

 

If there is anything you want to know and cannot find info on anywhere, let me know and I will try to get an answer for you.  No guarantees but I'll do my best over the next 7 day

🙂

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Have a great cruise.  Best entertainment for us was the Beatles playing the last night in the main theater.  Cavern club was too small and too crowded to enjoy them.  They only had one main theater show at 7 pm on our sailing that lasted just over an hour so you may want to plan your dinner next Sat night around that if you like Beatles music. 

 

 

Edited by seemoreroyals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your time, hope you have a wonderful cruise. I wondered if you could see the usual minimum bet on 3 Card poke and Craps. Also what are they paying on 2 & 12 Field bets - is it double. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I would love to see pictures of the casino.....spend a lot of time there! 

I'm sure there are lots of video tours on YouTube where you can already see this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dropped off in a Lyft around 10am.  It's now 10:15 and we are sitting in the Haven waiting area.

 

Quick answers to Boarding in  San Pedro -

 

HAVEN - Once you get past the initial security entrance where you dump your liquids, they do have a separate line in Security for Haven Guests.  Dont be afraid to go around the lines in the 3 left side lanes.  You wont see the Haven sign on the far right side through the crowd until you get right up to it.  They give you little card holders for your Haven room key.  

 

PRIORITY ACCESS - 

You have to use the regular security lines but after getting through security you will find a Priority Access line for checkin that is separate from the other check in locations.  It is to the right side (middle of building as you walk in)  and the far right in front of Haven is Lattitudes Priority checkin.

20191222_103206.jpg

20191222_102437.jpg

20191222_100407.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, wilmingtech said:

Quick answers to Boarding in  San Pedro -

 

HAVEN - Once you get past the initial security entrance where you dump your liquids, they do have a separate line in Security for Haven Guests.  Dont be afraid to go around the lines in the 3 left side lanes.  You wont see the Haven sign on the far right side through the crowd until you get right up to it.  They give you little card holders for your Haven room key.  

 

I'm glad that you arrived early and had no trouble getting onboard quickly.  For everyone else, be aware that the lines get outrageously long later in the day.  For example, if you arrive at the Port Of Los Angeles at 1 PM, you might be looking at a two hour line to get through security.

 

For Haven guests who arrive later, when the lines for security are outrageously long, be aware that as a Haven guest you actually DO NOT have to wait in that huge security line.  They actually have an entirely different metal detector and x-ray machine that they use for Haven guests once the lines start to get long.  What you need to do, rather than getting in the huge line outside of the tent, is find an NCL employee (not a luggage handler or other Port Of Los Angeles employee) and let them know that you're a Haven guest and ask if they would please get you past the line of other passengers.

On embarkation day our December 1st cruise on Norwegian Joy, we asked three different NCL employees if Haven passengers needed to stand in that gigantic security line.  All three told us that yes, we needed to be in that line.  After about fifteen minutes wasted in that line, we saw some other Haven passengers get escorted around the line by a more senior NCL employee.  We walked up to that NCL employee, showed them that we were Haven guests, and they took us around the line and directly to the completely separate metal detector and x-ray machine that they use for security screening of Haven guests.  It saved us about two hours in that line.

 

During our cruise, I checked with numerous other Haven guests to see if any of them had to stand in that gigantic line for security, and everyone I spoke to told us that they were escorted around that line and directly in to the terminal for boarding.

It won't be a problem if you arrive early, but if you're a Haven guest and you get to the Port Of Los Angeles and find a huge line for security...  remember this story!  Three different NCL employees gave me incorrect information and had me wasting my time in line.  Thank goodness I found the fourth one that understood how Haven boarding is supposed to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are still not on board.   There were 3 guests on board that did not leave the ship until after 1130am.

 

We should be close to boarding now @12pm but the lines are ridiculously long now outside and inside the building 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, wilmingtech said:

I am trying  to understand why would you would jump to the conclusion that I am someone who is going to look for all the problems on a cruise?

 

-Sean 

Sean

 

I truly apologize for my off hand comment. And I hope you have a wonderful cruise on this new ship. 
 

I overly reacted to your comment about documenting annoyances. And I am sorry. 
 

Bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here is a little annoyance that will help future Haven cruisers to understand why there are no snacks in the waiting area 🙂

 

The waiting area for Haven guests is split into 2 parts with a "wheeled" divider wall.  This divider wall creates a temporary hallway that people disembarking the ship must walk through to exit the terminal.  In that hallway is also where the snacks and drinks for the Haven waiting area are staged.  

 

So if you check into the Haven waiting area and there are no snacks or drinks it means that they are waiting for people to completely disembark from the previous cruise before they can move the wall to open up the waiting area to the snacks and drinks.  For us today it wasnt until after 1130am when the food area became available as 3 people were lingering from the previous cruise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sean

 

I truly apologize for my off hand comment. And I hope you have a wonderful cruise on this new ship. 
 

I overly reacted to your comment about documenting annoyances. And I am sorry. 
 

Bird

Bird,

 

Thank you.  It takes a person of utmost integrity to come into a social media site like CC to apologize for previous comments made.  Apology accepted.  Looking forward to reading more of your reviews in the future.

 

-Sean

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wilmingtech said:

Got on at 12pm, Haven Tour and now sitting in American Diner.  Crowds outside are long @12:45pm

 

20191222_124301.jpg

Uh oh. My upcoming Joy cruise will have the same 3pm departure time and the eDocs stated that boarding would start at noon. I'd planned to arrive around 12:30, figuring the initial impatient crowd would have dissipated and security/boarding would be a breeze. That worked great in Seattle but...

 

You and Spaniel Lover have just saved me from an annoying start to the journey. Thank you! I'm staying nearby and will instead arrive extra early. Better to wait post-security in a chair than pre-security trudging in a vast line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much Sean!!  I so appreciate the time you are taking out of your vacation to share info with all of us.  

 

So sorry for you, and everyone else waiting to board, that some selfish people senselessly held everything up.  Hopefully the rest of the trip is all enjoyment, all of the time 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...