Cruise Critic Community
Nymich

X serves up another change to Free In Stateroom Movies

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Millennium class have a different, older set of A/V equipment than Solstice class. Probably takes a bit longer to roll out the changes on those ships.

Did not take any time at all as this is already rolled out on the Infinity which was outlined in the opening post.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

It was only 3 months ago when Celebrity announced:

"After careful consideration of guest feedback and from our friends on the Cruise Critic forums, we have decided to reinstate the complimentary in-stateroom entertainment. We will continue to offer a wide selection of the new releases and iconic films in our theaters, outdoor screens and in the guest staterooms using the On-Demand TV system.""

So have they carelessly considered guest feedback now for this latest change?

celebrityonetouch@celebrity.com and yes they have carelessly disregarded us...…...again.  

Every cut like this just builds mistrust.  I have been on 3 other lines recently that offer an alternative to X and many of their loyal clients were onboard including us.   Don't get me wrong here I am fighting to continue to travel on X but when they need called out they are going to be called out.

12 hours ago, rimmit said:

...given they reversed the beverage surcharge for the perks...

Or so we think/they say...if they copy their antics with the free movies, we may find that surcharge pop up again..in another format.

On 12/22/2019 at 12:10 AM, NMTraveller said:

So this is an issue?  Who goes on a cruise to watch a movie on a small screen?

Never mind... 

While watching movies on a cruise may not be for everyone, the September thread on Celebrity's movie charge revealed many reasons that lots of people do rely on movies...here's a recap of some of them for those who may not understand to draw...

• my small children need some downtime in the cabin
  • my special needs child decompresses from the day with a movie
  • my elderly father/mother likes to turn in early and catch a movie
  • my work schedule is such that i never get to see a movie at home so when I cruise, I like to catch up on some of them in my cabin
  • movies in the cabin help break up back to back to back sea days
  • it gives us an opportunity to sit together as a family and watch a movie...something our hectic lives don't allow for when we are at home
  • when I have "over vacationed" the night before, I like to stay in and catch a movie
  • when bad weather brings everyone in from outside and crowds the indoor spaces, its nice to retreat to the cabin for a movie
  • I like to lay in bed and watch a movie to wind down from the day.  Sometimes I watch the same movie over several nights thanks to the pause feature
  • Sometimes I get a cold/sick while on a cruise and stay in to watch a movie
  • sometimes we just don't feel like getting ready for the evening so we order room service and watch a movie in our cabin

As one can see from the list, the reasons for watching free movies on a cruise are as wide and varied as cruising itself.  I don't care to attend the art auction that Celebrity holds on every cruise.  But there are lots of people who really enjoy it.  I bet if Celebrity started charging an entrance fee, there would be an uproar from those who have grown to love and enjoy the once complimentary attraction.  Hope this helps to provide some perspective.  😉

33 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Or so we think/they say...if they copy their antics with the free movies, we may find that surcharge pop up again..in another format.

More likely they just increased cruise costs to cover the loss.  I personally prefer that than the nickel and diming,  although many will argue why do I have to pay for that if I don’t use it.   Well ,  I don’t use the pool when I am on vacation nor do I eat much food at all (I am 110lbs and just can’t eat more than one plate without feeling stuffed),  but I pay for the food.  I’d prefer one price for the most part rather than the nickel and diming. 

11 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

• when I have "over vacationed" the night before, I like to stay in and catch a movie

This might be the best thing I have read all day.

Someone mentioned only one movie for little kids...I say good. There are lines that cater to younger ones..

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

While watching movies on a cruise may not be for everyone, the September thread on Celebrity's movie charge revealed many reasons that lots of people do rely on movies...here's a recap of some of them for those who may not understand to draw...

• my small children need some downtime in the cabin
  • my special needs child decompresses from the day with a movie
  • my elderly father/mother likes to turn in early and catch a movie
  • my work schedule is such that i never get to see a movie at home so when I cruise, I like to catch up on some of them in my cabin
  • movies in the cabin help break up back to back to back sea days
  • it gives us an opportunity to sit together as a family and watch a movie...something our hectic lives don't allow for when we are at home
  • when bad weather brings everyone in from outside and crowds the indoor spaces, its nice to retreat to the cabin for a movie
  • I like to lay in bed and watch a movie to wind down from the day.  Sometimes I watch the same movie over several nights thanks to the pause feature
  • Sometimes I get a cold/sick while on a cruise and stay in to watch a movie
  • sometimes we just don't feel like getting ready for the evening so we order room service and watch a movie in our cabin

As one can see from the list, the reasons for watching free movies on a cruise are as wide and varied as cruising itself.  I don't care to attend the art auction that Celebrity holds on every cruise.  But there are lots of people who really enjoy it.  I bet if Celebrity started charging an entrance fee, there would be an uproar from those who have grown to love and enjoy the once complimentary attraction.  Hope this helps to provide some perspective.  😉

This is excellent!   Mic drop!   Thank You

I have kept several movies and dozens of books downloaded on my phone for years. Preventive medicine for any time where I am going to be in inconvenient downtime for a few minutes or hours--airport, ship, DMV, Dr's office, eating by myself, etc. Any time a free movie expires or I finish one, I can just download another one wherever there is free WIFI. Books are so varied there is always a choice, and almost all of mine are free from Kindle (try Bookbub for daily recommendations, many free, too). 

I agree that you should not have to take measures to make up for things Celebrity takes away, but being prepared for any eventuality (X or otherwise) can still be more enjoyable than wishing X would stay the same.

With proper prep in today's techno age, no one has an excuse for time hanging heavy on their hands for hours. (I do not address the cases where parents have sick kids!)

Edited by mayleeman
blasted autocorrect!

22 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Someone mentioned only one movie for little kids...I say good. There are lines that cater to younger ones..

I mean really?   Isn't a post like this just meant to stir the pot?   We get it some people do not care about this topic just like we do not care about some other topics.

27 minutes ago, mayleeman said:
27 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I have kept several movies and dozens of books downloaded on my phone for years. Preventive medicine for any time where I am going to be in inconvenient downtown for a few minutes or hours--airport, ship, DMV, Dr's office, eating by myself, etc. Any time a free movie expires or I finish one, I can just download another one wherever there is free WIFI. Books are so varied there is always a choice, and almost all of mine are free from Kindle (try Bookbub for daily recommendations, many free, too). 

I agree that you should not have to take measures to make up for things Celebrity takes away, but being prepared for any eventuality (X or otherwise) can still be more enjoyable than wishing X would stay the same.

With proper prep in today's techno age, no one has an excuse for time hanging heavy on their hands for hours. (I do not address the cases where parents have sick kids!)

Please walk us through your process on the ship and how you get it on the television.

Please be specific including all software, cords etc.....used.  It might even help if you mention the different ships and dates as with dry docks many things change.  In addition you could point out what computer or tablet you use.  You seem to be having great success cruising and enjoying your free movies so please walk us through that.  Looking forward to hearing how you make this cut not a big hassle or big deal.  Include any costs to your process such as wifi etc.....

PS Many of us are elite or near elite and above so we gave up wishing things would stay the same years ago!

Edited by Nymich

Geez who says you can’t trust corporations anymore?

I have fought this fight a few times, we love free movies. We take long cruises and I am not going to continue  to justify our preference for movies on demand and feel the rate increases should cover it.

I feel duped, we thought this argument had been resolved and booked NR for two cruises. 

It seems to be typical  now to promise something, charge extra for it in the overall fee and then remove or downgrade it. Promise it’s return when protested then offer something that is far from adequate in it’s place.

It’s deceptive.

17 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

Does the "I demand free movies!" crowd also demand free movies in hotels? On Airplanes? On trains?

Only if the hotel had always supplied them in the past.  Most long haul airline flights DO have free movies, dozens and dozens of them.  Don't ride trains so meh.

7 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Only if the hotel had always supplied them in the past.  Most long haul airline flights DO have free movies, dozens and dozens of them.  Don't ride trains so meh.

Ah, so you do demand they include free luggage allowance, meals, pillows...  all things that were "always" supplied in the past?

3 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

Ah, so you do demand they include free luggage allowance, meals, pillows...  all things that were "always" supplied in the past?

Again, on long haul flights ALWAYS get meals, luggage,pillows, blankets, etc.  Sounds like you don't do alot of long haul flying.

20 years ago on legacy airlines short hauls ain't exactly always.

Edited by ECCruise

Just now, ECCruise said:

Again, on long haul flights ALWAYS get meals, luggage pillows, blankets, etc.

20 years ago on legacy airlines short hauls ain't exactly always.

Well, you appear to be cherry picking certain types of flights to defend your position, ok, whatever. Personally I couldn't care less whether they supplied them in the past or not. They don't now and that's a cost I'd just as soon not pay for somewhere hidden in the cruise fare. My wife watches movies and downloads her own - easy peasy. When our kids were young, they loved to watch kids movies - so we always carried clunky DVD players with us and a small bag crammed with DVD's. There's a cost to everything and, with the TV/Movie/Video industry as badly broken as it is, I suspect that cost is not trivial to Celebrity. I applaud them for making the decision to cut that cost - individuals have relatively low cost access to consumer oriented media services and cheap, effective devices to play that content. 

14 hours ago, cruznjan said:

My husband does.

Sometimes he likes to relax in the cabin and watch movies.

@nymich I don't watch on the television. I watch or read on my phone or pad, even if I am at home and there isn't anything on cable or network that I want to watch on TV.

We actually only turned our TV on twice on the Allure B2B we took in October, once at the end of each leg to check our bills. But I watched 4 movies on my phone (downloaded free before we left from Amazon Prime) and read 2 books on Kindle and 2 from the Allure library.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:43 PM, mcrcruiser said:

Hmmm so X charging for in cabin movies .  Holland America  has all free movies  & they are all excellent  .  Their new ships Koningsdam ,Nieuw Statendam & the new Ryndam coming  next year have large TV screens on the wall facing the bed  . Beds are very comfy  & so are the cabins & new shower stalls with glass that shows no water marks 

We have done over 40 cruises with Celebrity ,20 with HAL ,some with Princess ,Royal Caribbean & Carnival .

We love the share holder credits we can get with owning 100 shares of Carnival stock ,symbol CCL  .under 7 day cruise $50 ,7 to 14 day cruise $100 & 14 days & over $250 in on board credits  .  Combining with all fares ok

True, but I can see HAL copying them sooner or later.

13 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@nymich I don't watch on the television. I watch or read on my phone or pad, even if I am at home and there isn't anything on cable or network that I want to watch on TV.

We actually only turned our TV on twice on the Allure B2B we took in October, once at the end of each leg to check our bills. But I watched 4 movies on my phone (downloaded free before we left from Amazon Prime) and read 2 books on Kindle and 2 from the Allure library.

Fair enough but I doubt many want to watch movies on a phone but I appreciate the explanation.  I can see how it means little to nothing if someone turned the tv on twice on a b2b.  

26 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Yes, but if there were decent free movies on the television, why would you watch them on a 6" phone?  Wouldn't that make it more likely that you might want to turn the TV on more than twice?

Edited by ECCruise

4 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Does the "I demand free movies!" crowd also demand free movies in hotels? On Airplanes? On trains?

If advertised as part of the service when booking ...YES.

2 hours ago, Nymich said:

I doubt many want to watch movies on a phone

We got used to watching little screens when flying to Las Vegas on planes with no entertainment. Used a Y-connector to listen on headphones. 

Now, I watch movies, sports (Spectrum app), and videos on my phone and the apparent size is pretty much the same as seeing a larger screen from 8 to 10 feet away. I use headphones to avoid bothering my wife. 

Actually, we very much understand everyone being unhappy about the X switcheroo. I was just commenting on the advantages of downloading movies for many situations, not specifically for cruising.  (Someone said they shouldn't have to do it to make up for X's pull back.)

On cruises, I think we like the opportunity to read after the activity of the day more than wanting to sit and look at the tube.

Edited by mayleeman

On 12/22/2019 at 2:34 AM, isdoo said:

Download a few to a computer or tablet before you go. Problem sorted.... 

5 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Sounds like neither of you were part of the protest just a few months ago. The point is that most cruise lines in the mass market provide lots of free movies, and less than three months ago, Celebrity imposed significant fees on what were previously free movies. Then after just a week of vigorous protest on social media, Celebrity reversed that decision and agreed to bring back free movies. That quote from Celebrity is listed earlier in this thread. To again try to pull this off under the radar is unacceptable and directly contradicts their previous declaration. That is why we are upset!

35 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Sounds like neither of you were part of the protest just a few months ago. The point is that most cruise lines in the mass market provide lots of free movies, and less than three months ago, Celebrity imposed significant fees on what were previously free movies. Then after just a week of vigorous protest on social media, Celebrity reversed that decision and agreed to bring back free movies. That quote from Celebrity is listed earlier in this thread. To again try to pull this off under the radar is unacceptable and directly contradicts their previous declaration. That is why we are upset!

Then I suggest you vote with your money and choose a line which more closely caters to your requirements.