Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MisterBill99

Did they fix Nieuw Amsterdam's azipod or is she sailing with one operational?

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Thank you for the screenshot of the display. It is clear that the starboard azipod is not operational.


Is it definitely not operational, or could they not be operating it in a “damaged capacity”?
 

And as a clueless cruise lover, I am not even sure there is a difference. But I admit , thanks to all of you sharing your knowledge and expertise, I am less clueless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Last night she was doing 17 knots.  Can she do that on 1 azipod? 

She probably can … we know that she can do 16.3 knots at 114 RPM on the port azipod only … from the screenshot on Friday evening. I would guess that 17 knots would be about her maximum speed on 1 azipod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for reporting on the NA's azipod.  Watching her leave Ft Lauderdale a little bit ago, it did look like only port side was running.  Copper John told us that Oosterdam ran for several months on one years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another clue … Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are both headed to HMC. Edam at 18.2 knots, NAdam at 16.1 knots. Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from sailing on the Zuiderdam. My sisters and I ended up hanging out with some of the engineers on that ship, and I brought up the azipod on NA. He said it was likely a seal failed before the last abandoned cruise and was re-sealed in the Bahamas temporarily. A whole new unit is on order from Italy, to be installed in the next couple months. As he is not on that ship itself, couldn't give more details, but it seems like it's at least somewhat functional, though maybe they are babying it for the time being?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, raesive said:

Just got back from sailing on the Zuiderdam. My sisters and I ended up hanging out with some of the engineers on that ship, and I brought up the azipod on NA. He said it was likely a seal failed before the last abandoned cruise and was re-sealed in the Bahamas temporarily. A whole new unit is on order from Italy, to be installed in the next couple months. As he is not on that ship itself, couldn't give more details, but it seems like it's at least somewhat functional, though maybe they are babying it for the time being?

Azipods are not from Italy, they are from ABB in Norway.  A seal failure and repair would not be "temporary", if it is done in the water, it is just as good as an out of  water repair.  The displays from onboard show zero rpm's at sea, which tells me that the shaft is locked, so they are not using the pod at all.  That is more indicative of a bearing failure than anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eurodam arriving HMC …. Nieuw Amsterdam, the "wounded warrior" trailing far behind … doing her best at 16.5 knots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nieuw Amsterdam just arriving HMC … a little late. Original schedule 0800 … revised ETA 0930 … actual about 1015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a picture about 30 minutes ago. We are late arriving at Half Moon. Other port times have changed too.

IMG_20191229_083359.jpg

Edited by Sunshineliving
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This just in from the Nieuw Amsterdam: the captain wants the azipod display removed because the starboard azipod isn’t working. The dry dock in Freeport was for clearance to sail on one pod only. That lady was on the phone with the captain explaining to the maintenance tech behind the tv that they want it removed because it’s showing the truth about the azipod “repair.”  
 

That’s from the Observation deck Lounge. Literally just happened at 10:30am est. 

D46187D7-1C83-415F-BACF-E963E76657BF.jpeg

23CF5F98-DFD6-4DFA-AE1F-9EB9AA80C3CE.jpeg

Edited by Wndrbrh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Wndrbrh said:

This just in from the Nieuw Amsterdam: the captain wants the azipod display removed because the starboard azipod isn’t working. The dry dock in Freeport was for clearance to sail on one pod only. That lady was on the phone with the captain explaining to the maintenance tech behind the tv that they want it removed because it’s showing the truth about the azipod “repair.”  
 

That’s from the Observation deck Lounge. Literally just happened at 10:30am est. 

 

It's getting interesting how they're trying to cover this up. As I had mentioned earlier, the group admin of a HAL fans FB group had posted that the ship was repaired based on what he had supposedly been told by HAL (more accurately, how he had misread their announcement). When I pointed out what HAL themselves had said on their "PartnerSHIPS' FB page for TA's (that they had all approvals needed to sail with one azipod and that the ship was safe), he told me that he would contact the president of HAL (who he apparently knew) and get back to me. He never did.

Edited by MisterBill99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MisterBill99 said:

 

It's getting interesting how they're trying to cover this up. As I had mentioned earlier, the group admin of a HAL fans FB group had posted that the ship was repaired based on what he had supposedly been told by HAL (more accurately, how he had misread their announcement). When I pointed out what HAL themselves had said on their "PartnerSHIPS' FB page for TA's (that they had all approvals needed to sail with one azipod and that the ship was safe), he told me that he would contact the president of HAL (who he apparently knew) and get back to me. He never did.

I posted this same thing with pictures on HAL Cruise Line friends and got censored instantly. I sent this on Twitter to HAL and a cruise news blog. It’ll get out there 🙂. Coverups aren’t cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wndrbrh said:

I posted this same thing with pictures on HAL Cruise Line friends and got censored instantly. I sent this on Twitter to HAL and a cruise news blog. It’ll get out there 🙂. Coverups aren’t cool. 

 

I noticed on FB too that the thread was shut down so quickly which is ridiculous-can’t comment on it at all.  

 

Been interesting following along with what’s been happening on the NA.  We were on the Oosterdam when they had the divers in San Diego and had to stay overnight.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have said before, I am saddened that HAL has chosen to cover this up. I have lost confidence in the company as a result. The fact that the Captain of Nieuw Amsterdam has directly ordered that the display in the Crows Nest be shut off says it all.

Can anyone confirm the name of the Captain? 

Edited by NavArch64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

As I have said before, I am saddened that HAL has chosen to cover this up. I have lost confidence in the company as a result. The fact that the Captain of Nieuw Amsterdam has directly ordered that the display in the Crows Nest be shut off says it all.

Can anyone confirm the name of the Captain? 

 

It's sad, because this thread should really be dead by now, and would be if they were being truthful.

 

according to the Captain Albert's HAL Blog (https://www.captainalbert.com/current-captains-and-their-schedules/), the current captain is Captain Arno Jutten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wndrbrh said:

I posted this same thing with pictures on HAL Cruise Line friends and got censored instantly. I sent this on Twitter to HAL and a cruise news blog. It’ll get out there 🙂. Coverups aren’t cool. 

 

Not cool at all, HAL. What are they thinking??  Trying to hide something like this almost always ends badly for the company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

 

I noticed on FB too that the thread was shut down so quickly which is ridiculous-can’t comment on it at all.  

 

Yes, but you can react to the group admin's post where she shut down the conversation. There are many options other than "like".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wndrbrh said:

the captain wants the azipod display removed

 

They should just take down that whole obstruction to a beautiful view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...