More formal wear questions

steilkurve

9 hours ago, steilkurve said:

Apologies in advance for stirring up debate on formal wear once again! Going on HOS shortly. As our trip includes pre-cruise travels, am trying to minimize luggage and as such, would prefer not to pack a suit. Don’t mind formal wear and have dragged some to all our cruises but this time, it would be more convenient not to. So, for a man, will khakis with a nice shirt and sports jacket stand out too much on RCI? Last cruise with them was over 8 yrs ago and I remember formal wear not being that intense, even then. Has it changed? Any thoughts appreciated.

The sports jacket will make you overdressed. A shirt and pants is good enough. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The sports jacket will make you overdressed. A shirt and pants is good enough. 

I've only one sailing on Royal but that doesn't square with our experience. On Anthem I would say well over half were wearing either a sport coat or business suit, so wearing a sport coat wouldn't make one overdressed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

For those that don’t agree, why what others wear are so bothered?  Why just worry about ones self and not others. It’s a vacation for goodness sakes. 

In my opinion 

From the posts in various forums here, it seems that some feel criticized when others dress differently from them, or advocate it. It is helpful for people to provide information about what they've observed, but it's not necessary to take umbrage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

From the posts in various forums here, it seems that some feel criticized when others dress differently from them, or advocate it. It is helpful for people to provide information about what they've observed, but it's not necessary to take umbrage.

It’s simple, wear what you want. I don’t think anyone here can dispute this. 

• Like 1

We will be on Harmony in February, and I will bring a sport coat. Not because of formal anything, but because it tends to be a bit chilly on deck in February:classic_smile:. Always try to coordinate shirts and slacks to compliment what DW is wearing, and went out to Amazon and bought a package of bow ties and pocket squares in virtually every color in the rainbow. So, if she decides to dress up in the evening I just find a tie to match and we're good to go. Haven't packed a Tux in years.

• Like 1

All this arguing about what to wear on Formal nights is a moot point. 

People can wish/demand all they want that others dress the way they prefer to dress (whether casual or formal,) but until Royal changes the dress code from a suggestion to an enforced mandatory dress code, nothing will change. People will dress the way they want to and they will be allowed in the dining room.

So dress how you interpret the suggested dress code, whether your best is shorts and a polo or a tux and gown, and enjoy your meal. Be angry at Royal for not being more clear on the dress code or enforcing it if it ruins your dinner to see someone not dressed like you at the table next to you. Don't be angry at your fellow passengers. They are just doing what is completely allowed.

Do what you think is formal and don't worry about those clutching their pearls around you, you are abiding by rules since the dress code is, at this time, just a suggestion.

I dress up, the rest of our group does khakis and dress shirts/ties and dresses. So we cover all aspects of the dress code 🙂

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’ve seen people wearing their wet swimsuits into areas with suggested dress codes and were not asked to leave. 

The reality of it is, if not for someone’s personal appearance I might have to associate with them to learn that I want nothing to do with them.  “Wear what you want” indeed, and thanks for the heads up.  

On 12/23/2019 at 7:52 AM, charmy98 said:

I wish they had a separate dining room for people that like to dress up in formal wear.

But they already have a separate dining room for people that don't like to dress up called the Windjammer... Adding one for people who want to dress according to the suggested dress code is redundant.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 5:35 AM, John&LaLa said:

Plenty of jackets on Adventure earlier this month

On the three RCL cruises we took in the past year, there were more non-jackets than jackets (sports coats, suits, tux) in the MDR. And there were some in shorts. We actually did a count on our last cruise because of unsubstantiated claims those on this threads. 

Times are changing. The next generation cruiser wants to be on vacation. Not at a black tie dinner. And the cruise line is going to cater to the future cruisers. We have been cruising for decades. And we retired our formal dinner wear long ago. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’ve seen people wearing their wet swimsuits into areas with suggested dress codes and were not asked to leave. 

We see people chair hog and staff not address it either.  I guess by your logic that is ok too?

• Like 1

To the OP... My experience is that the majority of people dress much nicer on formal nights.  Most men wear jackets in my experience.  You are permitted to wear just about anything most nights however, I would suggest you try to up your apparel game on formal nights

What I always find so entertaining with these threads is the righteous indignation some poster exhibit when others suggest that people at least try to dress a little nicer and adhere to the dress suggestions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

On the three RCL cruises we took in the past year, there were more non-jackets than jackets (sports coats, suits, tux) in the MDR. And there were some in shorts. We actually did a count on our last cruise because of unsubstantiated claims those on this threads. 

Times are changing. The next generation cruiser wants to be on vacation. Not at a black tie dinner. And the cruise line is going to cater to the future cruisers. We have been cruising for decades. And we retired our formal dinner wear long ago. 

I'll agree with more non jackets in the evening, just disagree that a jacket makes you overdressed on Formal. Its just a choice.

FWIW, we took just under 20. Every imaginable way. Shorties, 7 day, TA's, insides, suites. Like to mix it up. But on all the 7 day and longer, I packed a jacket.