DISTILLED WATER - WARNING

llarsen

Hello,

We were recently on the Summit (loved the new makeover and everything was just wonderful!) 

I just want to make those that may need Distilled water aware of a situation that happened with me on the Summit.

Prior to our cruise I was scheduled for Sinus surgery upon our return from vacation. 

One of the conditions for being able to take this trip was having access to Distilled water to do a medicated sinus rinse twice a day. 

I called our travel agent who said this would not be a problem, that they have distilled water available for CPAP and other needs. 

I also called Celebrity special needs just to make sure. I was told they would have a gallon of Distilled water in my room when we board, and if I needed more just ask the steward.

When we boarded there was no Distilled water, just the bottled drinking water. When our steward introduced himself I asked about the Distilled water. He said he would get it.

We went to the buffet and when we returned there was an (unsealed) gallon of "Purified" water in the room. I called Guest services and they said they would contact housekeeping and have the Distilled water brought to our room.

We later returned from dinner and someone knocked on our door with a (sealed) gallon of "Purified" water. I told them it had to be "Distilled" water. He said it was the same thing. I took the water jug and we went down to the medical center, where the head nurse greeted me at the window. I showed her the Purified water that was delivered and explained what I needed it for and asked if it was the "same thing"?  

She said no, it was not the same and went in the back to look for distilled water. She brought out a open half-used jug of Distilled water that expired in 13 days! I asked if I could have a  fresh unopened gallon of Distilled water and she explained it was all they had at the facility. She took down my name and room number and said she would take care of it. This was almost laughable at this point.

A little later, the gallon of Distilled water was waiting in our room with a name card from Anca Ciobanita, Assistant Chief Housekeeper. All was good after that!

I just want to make those who might be told "It's the same thing"...that purified water is NOT the same as distilled water.

It was such a hassle I was tempted to just use what they gave me. I'm glad I didn't! 

I filled out a comment card and gave it to Guest Services, asking that Celebrity educate the room stewards and staff that may not be aware that there is a difference between Purified and Distilled water. If someone needs Distilled water....they need Distilled water! 

Overall the cruise was wonderful. The decor, new stateroom furniture, bathrooms and food was excellent! (including the buffet)

We had sailed on the Summit right before it had gone into dry dock and was not impressed.

This time... the ship was perfect, and what a wonderful Captain! He gave us extra time on the islands everyday! The shows were also impressive.

Okay, Sorry for the long story. I just wanted to pass along the Distilled water info. Don't give up....get what you need.

Happy Holidays!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see you were persistent.  I know that even down at the local Target store, none of the employees seemed to know anything about distilled water.  There is a language barrier, for sure.  I would also be hesitant to use a jug that was previously opened.  

Also have had the same problem. I bought a heavy duty plastic refillable liter bottle. Fill it at home and pack in check in luggage. If I can't find  distilled water I might leave the water in the humidifier and change ever other day so can get a week out of it.