Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

My parents want to watch Grease the show on Harmony and some reviews claim it is for mature audiences. Can anyone elaborate so we can decide what age/kid it is appropriate for? Is it sexual overtones, bad language, etc?

 

Jenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Califonria cruiser said:

My parents want to watch Grease the show on Harmony and some reviews claim it is for mature audiences. Can anyone elaborate so we can decide what age/kid it is appropriate for? Is it sexual overtones, bad language, etc?

 

Jenn

We took our grandchildren aged five and three with no problems whatsoever.

There is the odd sexual overtone and very occasional bad language but nothing we would worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We took our grandchildren aged five and three with no problems whatsoever.

There is the odd sexual overtone and very occasional bad language but nothing we would worry about.

This is interesting because I have also read lots of comments about the show not being appropriate for kids.  Some in my family don't appreciate vulgarity so I'm also wondering exactly what's causing the mixed reaction.

Edited by Ren1216

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To each their own. I've seen people complain about Grease, but at the same time slow their kids to watch extremely violent movies that in my opinion are far worse for kids than a subjective hint about sex. Hippocratic behavior.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The song Grease Lightening is the unedited version so there are sexual references including a couple of words that are repeated a few times that can be considered inappropriate for impressionable kids. The show is fantastic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

The song Grease Lightening is the unedited version so there are sexual references including a couple of words that are repeated a few times that can be considered inappropriate for impressionable kids. The show is fantastic!

 

Vey Few things funnier than a 4 year old saying PussyWagon🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Meltdown said:

To each their own. I've seen people complain about Grease, but at the same time slow their kids to watch extremely violent movies that in my opinion are far worse for kids than a subjective hint about sex. Hippocratic behavior.

 

My experience having raised two sons and having tons of family and friends with kids, those that make the decision their kids won't see adult/mature themes apply that across the board.  Whether it's violence or sex.  But, the sex themes carry more weight with people because it's a moral lesson they're trying to teach that can apply to their real lives.  I don't know anyone who let their young child seen extremely violent movies who then turned around and said you can't see x because it has sexual overtones because those parents are those that see nothing wrong with letting a 5 year old see a R rated movie.   Our boys didn't see an R rated movie until they were over 12 and when they did it was Air Force 1, not some random violence filled movie.  Grease has always had some  adult content, even in the movie, where they did change a few words, but the innuendo is still there which mostly goes over kids heads since it's more about theme than in your face.  The Broadway production has some things most people wouldn't want their kids to repeat at age 4, as John said above.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BND said:

My experience having raised two sons and having tons of family and friends with kids, those that make the decision their kids won't see adult/mature themes apply that across the board.  Whether it's violence or sex.  But, the sex themes carry more weight with people because it's a moral lesson they're trying to teach that can apply to their real lives.  I don't know anyone who let their young child seen extremely violent movies who then turned around and said you can't see x because it has sexual overtones because those parents are those that see nothing wrong with letting a 5 year old see a R rated movie.   Our boys didn't see an R rated movie until they were over 12 and when they did it was Air Force 1, not some random violence filled movie.  Grease has always had some  adult content, even in the movie, where they did change a few words, but the innuendo is still there which mostly goes over kids heads since it's more about theme than in your face.  The Broadway production has some things most people wouldn't want their kids to repeat at age 4, as John said above.  

 

FWIW, that lyric is in the John Travolta movie, you just don't realize it. First time I realized it was on Freedom. They used to play it at the pool in the morning as a sing along version with the lyrics like karaoke. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

 

FWIW, that lyric is in the John Travolta movie, you just don't realize it. First time I realized it was on Freedom. They used to play it at the pool in the morning as a sing along version with the lyrics like karaoke. 🤣

I remember hearing it in the movie, but most people can't tell you the lyrics to most songs unless they hear it over and over again.  It is the kind of thing a 4 year old would pick up on though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From our perspective, Grease is not a “mature” show. There are a lot of other shows (including the “family” comedy shows that have a lot more sexual overtones. Kids are fine in the  show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t find it any more “mature” then the movie. If you would let your kid see the movie then I’d let them see the royal Caribbean production. It was an amazing show, the cast on harmony are very talented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wouldn't let them watch the movie don't let them watch the show.   If you are fine with the movie then you are fine the show. Most things that will cause you concern go over the heads of the kids. I took mine on an NCL cruise and took them to Footloose. Anything that bothered me, I quickly explained or deferred.

Edited by bearette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember watching the movie as a kid 

then I watch it as an adult not tv version but movie version and I said to my parents I cant believe you let me watch that and they laughed everything went over your head and they were right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We took our then 9 year old to Grease on Harmony in 2018 and she loved the show. Went again in November and she walked out at age 10 commenting "that was really inappropriate" because she understood a few more of the jokes. 😂  She still enjoyed the show and would probably keep watching it. There are definitely some crass parts but they aren't any worse than in the Travolta/Newton-John movie version so you can always give it a re-watch and judge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you watch the movie with your kids or be comfortable with your kids watching the movie?  I think that is your answer.  The movie, Grease, is certainly not High School Musical.  The movie Grease is PG-13.   High School Musical 3 by contrast, the only one that started in theatres is rated G and is more my style lol. 

Edited by kathy884

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 2:33 AM, Ren1216 said:

This is interesting because I have also read lots of comments about the show not being appropriate for kids.  Some in my family don't appreciate vulgarity so I'm also wondering exactly what's causing the mixed reaction.

 

Just remember what GREASE is about.. Then make your decision.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw it a few weeks ago on Independence, great show.

Never even entered my mind it wouldn't be kid friendly, lots of kids at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it had many more inappropriate  hand gestures than the movie.  I agree the cast was talented, but the Harmony show would have been much better if the extra gestures which were not needed were left out.  I don't feel the movie version was quite as suggestive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...