Jump to content

Gratuities for entertainers.


CarelessAndConfused
 Share

Recommended Posts

Some of the entertainers who we consider friends would be insulted if anyone offered them a "tip."  Others would likely consider any tip less then $100 a nasty insult :).  They consider themselves professionals and simply want folks to appreciate and enjoy their music.  Most entertainers would simply urge "fans" to give them an excellent evaluation and/or write up a special commendation which should be turned-in to Guest Relations.  Positive feedback not only feeds egos, but helps ensure future contracts.

 

But the OP does have me thinking.  Perhaps the next time I hold open a door for a lady she would consider slipping me $20 :).  And holding an elevator for anyone should also be rewarded (a $50 would be my minimum).

 

Hank

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Some of the entertainers who we consider friends would be insulted if anyone offered them a "tip."  Others would likely consider any tip less then $100 a nasty insult :).  They consider themselves professionals and simply want folks to appreciate and enjoy their music.  Most entertainers would simply urge "fans" to give them an excellent evaluation and/or write up a special commendation which should be turned-in to Guest Relations.  Positive feedback not only feeds egos, but helps ensure future contracts.

 

It has been my experience in life that musical artists are not offended by people who want to offer a gratuity in a respectful way. Many of them have tip jars and buckets in the venues, bars and lounges that they play in.  And I would agree that anything short of $100 for each person,  since they are "professional" and not actively soliciting tips, could be construed as an insult.  That would be the minimum I would do if I were to do it at all.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aloha Kakou,

If I may chime in here with my personal $0.02. As someone who has done nothing else but perform music for people, both on land and sea for the last 23 or so years,  I am never offended by someone offering a tip...regardless of the denomination. It is an expression of gratitude and appreciation, and it is never wasted...at least on this performer. Offering to buy a drink for a performer is also always welcome, regardless of whether they drink soft beverages or alcoholic beverages. Also, as one poster wrote, purchasing a CD and/or video from a performer is a nice way to "tip" them. Particular to ships, we are certainly pleased when guests are invested in our performances enough to take the time to write out their appreciation for our talents and efforts and let the "Powers That Be" know.  

 

Lastly, while "material" gratuities are lovely to receive, it will never go unappreciated if you just take a moment to tell the performer...or any employee for that matter, (on a ship or otherwise)  that they have made a difference in your cruise experience. "Thank you for what you do" and "you have really made our cruise that much more enjoyable" is our most frequently received gratuity...and Leialoha and I never tire of receiving it.

 

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

www.facebook.com/tikidavesukuleleville

www.facebook.com/eluamusic

 

 

 

  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My sister’s boyfriend is a trumpeter on ships.  He is on Royal Caribbean and they are actually not allowed to accept a drink, I guess a sealed one would be ok.  He welcomes any cash tip he gets, and he is allowed to keep it.  He uses them to buy his internet and spending money in ports.  
He makes around $40000 a year. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, I have "tipped" the entertainers.  They appreciate you buying them a drink, a coffee (or coffee card), chocolate covered strawberries, and other edibles.  It is more of a show of your thoughtfulness that they welcome.

 

Since they get all the coffee they want for free,  discounted drinks at the crew bar and the same food as you & I,  it's not giving them all that much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

 

Since they get all the coffee they want for free,  discounted drinks at the crew bar and the same food as you & I,  it's not giving them all that much.

I think it’s ridiculous to ‘tip’ the entertainers but if somebody else chooses to buy them a coffee or chocolate covered strawberry, it’s more about them showing their appreciation rather than the monetary or material value of the gift.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, d9704011 said:

I think it’s ridiculous to ‘tip’ the entertainers but if somebody else chooses to buy them a coffee or chocolate covered strawberry, it’s more about them showing their appreciation rather than the monetary or material value of the gift.

They can have my cruddy horderves next cruise.  🤮

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

 

Since they get all the coffee they want for free,  discounted drinks at the crew bar and the same food as you & I,  it's not giving them all that much.

 

They may get discounted drinks at the crew bar, but they don't get specialty coffees for free.  I have enjoyed the company of a few entertainers during their break over a cocktail.  A nice way to "talk story".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

They can have my cruddy horderves next cruise.  🤮

 

Princess really needs to do away with these.  I don't even think the fish enjoy them.  I have tried to share these with others.  Bring back the chocolate covered strawberries!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I think it’s ridiculous to ‘tip’ the entertainers but if somebody else chooses to buy them a coffee or chocolate covered strawberry, it’s more about them showing their appreciation rather than the monetary or material value of the gift.

 

I'm not sure what any of that means.  What I know for an absolute fact is that most people would rather have cash in any instance than something else, and that includes the vast majority of beloved family members and friends, let alone strangers which is what we're talking about here.  It costs virtually nothing for anyone to make a gesture of a coffee or a cocktail drink or whatnot. 

 

It "hurts" on some level to make the kind of gesture I'm talking about.  But I sacrifice that hurt because I genuinely and thoroughly "appreciate" the experience they provided.  While some people may not want to admit it, cash and more of it is almost always the number one choice.  And I'm sure that the recipient will almost always if not always "appreciate" it more.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

 

I'm not sure what any of that means.  What I know for an absolute fact is that most people would rather have cash in any instance than something else, and that includes the vast majority of beloved family members and friends, let alone strangers which is what we're talking about here.  It costs virtually nothing for anyone to make a gesture of a coffee or a cocktail drink or whatnot. 

 

It "hurts" on some level to make the kind of gesture I'm talking about.  But I sacrifice that hurt because I genuinely and thoroughly "appreciate" the experience they provided.  While some people may not want to admit it, cash and more of it is almost always the number one choice.  And I'm sure that the recipient will almost always if not always "appreciate" it more.

 

Do whatever you like and keep those $100 bills flowing....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Are you kidding? They get paid well enough for their position. 

How do you know how much they get paid?  Every entertainer's salary is different and they all work and train hard for every cent they earn.  Some I have known for a fact are trying to pay off student loans from training very hard for a very unstable career with no guarantees of employment.

 

I tip generously if I really enjoy an entertainer.  They do get to keep it.  And they deserve it.

Edited by musicpro442
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...