NCL Star and NCL Customer Service

pistachio

1 minute ago, casofilia said:

? Future Cruise Credit.

AHHH, thank you.  OBC is really worthless imho.  We have never asked for FCC and can roll with the punches just fine, but I am calling our CC Monday and asking about it.  I don't feel right sailing again after this episode.  Just stinks too much.

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

@shof515

if you have, travel insurance MIGHT help out with any non-refundable costs.

BUT how about the excess?

This didn't happen to me but it happened to people on a cruise we were on and didn't get into Kirkwall.  An operator there refused to refund as another cruise boat had discharged passengers that day and our ship skipped the port.

He said about the cruise line and insurance so I looked out of interest.   The excess on our insurance was about the same as the shorex, it wouldn't have been worth a claim. 

it depends on your policy, you will have to read the policy to find out what your excess is. most of the policy i have do not have an excess

I was lucky enough to be booked on BOTH of the Star cruises, B2B.  Not sure what I'm doing at this point - currently on 2 concurrent cruises! Port changes on TA aren't good for me, regardless of the dates, ditto for the Dawn TA.  More than happy to move to a later sailing on the Star once it gets to Europe but I had the air promo, plus used points to upgrade my cabin.  So not happy if NCL won't make me some sort of a deal - it's their mess, not mine.

Funny that they won't allow you to book overlapping excursions but overlapping cruises, no problem!

On 12/26/2019 at 11:21 PM, blueslily said:

So, for the Star TA with the date change to April 9, people can get a full refund if they cancel before Jan 7?  Is this accurate? 

I was also told that we had until 01/07 to cancel, with no penalty.

On 12/27/2019 at 3:04 AM, julig22 said:

I was lucky enough to be booked on BOTH of the Star cruises, B2B.  Not sure what I'm doing at this point - currently on 2 concurrent cruises! Port changes on TA aren't good for me, regardless of the dates, ditto for the Dawn TA.  More than happy to move to a later sailing on the Star once it gets to Europe but I had the air promo, plus used points to upgrade my cabin.  So not happy if NCL won't make me some sort of a deal - it's their mess, not mine.

Funny that they won't allow you to book overlapping excursions but overlapping cruises, no problem!

yes, I spoke to NCL and tried to get any further reimbursement. The date change does not work for us, and I refuse to sail on the Star at this point. I asked if we could get any benefit by booking another NCL cruise - nope! Not even the $150 OBC. If we do sail on them again, it will only be to use our CruiseNext credits, then never again!

NCL is wrong for not offering compensation for the 10 day change date or any alternative with the promos for current cruise. My wife started to see if she can get coverage for the new dates and the new dates fall on EASTER. She is working Easter no one is going to pick it up for her. We will lose the discount, free airfare, and currently our travel insurance. 

It looks like the new transatlantic is on the NCL website with new dates and new ports:

Day     Cruise Ports     Arrive     Depart
April 9 New York, New York (EMBARK)     ---     8:00 pm
April 10 At Sea
April 11 Halifax, Nova Scotia     9:00 am     5:00 pm
April 12 At Sea
April 13 At Sea
April 14 At Sea
April 15 At Sea
April 16 At Sea
April 17 Belfast, Northern Ireland     11:00 am     8:00 pm
April 18 Dublin, Ireland     6:30 am     10:00 pm
April 19 At Sea
April 20 Paris (Le Havre), France     6:00 am     11:59 pm
April 21 Paris (Cherbourg), France     8:00 am     11:00 pm
April 22 Portland, England     7:00 am     8:00 pm
April 23 London (Southampton), England (DISEMBARK)     6:00 am   

-------------------

Here is the old itinerary for comparison from what i can find.
Day     Cruise Ports     Arrive     Depart
April 19 New York, New York (EMBARK)
April 20 At Sea
April 21 Halifax, Nova Scotia     8:00 am     5:00 pm
April 22 At Sea
April 23 At Sea
April 24 At Sea
April 25 At Sea
April 26 At Sea
April 27 Belfast, Northern Ireland     8:00 am     6:00 pm
April 28 Dublin, Ireland     6:30 am     12:00 am
April 29 Liverpool, England 8:00 am 5:00 pm
April 30 Cork, Ireland     8:00 am     5:00 pm
May 1 Portland, England     9:00 am     5:00 pm
May 2 Le Havre (Paris), France     7:00 am     10:00 pm
May 3 London (Southampton), England (DISEMBARK)     6:00 am

4 hours ago, pistachio said:

yes, I spoke to NCL and tried to get any further reimbursement. The date change does not work for us, and I refuse to sail on the Star at this point. I asked if we could get any benefit by booking another NCL cruise - nope! Not even the $150 OBC. If we do sail on them again, it will only be to use our CruiseNext credits, then never again!

You can sell your CruiseNext credits for what you paid for them, no need to sail NCL ever again.

23 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

That's a pretty big difference in dates!  Does anyone know of any plans for the ship to go into a serious drydock to fix their mechanical issues?

Haven't seen any offical mention, but these changes gives it 10 days in a dry dock before its first Europe cruise. 

10 hours ago, pistachio said:

My TA is working on a solution with NCL.  My problem is I'm on concurrent cruises with NCL because of all the changes - hopefully that will mean a little more bargaining power.  My biggest concern is loss of the airfare promo which for me is more of a deal breaker than the date and ship changes for the cruises I've booked.

On 12/26/2019 at 10:58 AM, pistachio said:

So, as reported elsewhere on Cruise Critic, the NCL Star has been having mechanical issues (again!!) These things happen, but NCL is waiting until after final payment to make their customers aware. That way, they can't cancel! Ports have been missed, and reportedly, the April 9th sailing has been moved to another ship. Now we, and many others, are anxiously awaiting to hear the fate of the April 19th Transatlantic. On 12/23 (4 days after final payment), I noticed online that my reservation now shows us leaving on April 9th, 10 days earlier than scheduled. The itinerary is almost the same, but people have flights scheduled, excursions planned, pre- and post-cruise travel plans. And what is the worst?? No one at NCL will, or can give us any explanation. My TA was told, 'call next week.' And some folks on our roll call have a totally different (and impossible) itinerary posted on their accounts. 

This isn't our first disaster with NCL, or the Star. We were on the February 2017 sailing on the Star, out of Australia. After weeks of problems with azipods and their propulsion system, we were told last minute that we would be skipping multiple ports in New Zealand. We were totally disappointed, but decided to continue with our plans. We embarked in Sydney, then visited Melbourne. We left Melbourne, and in the middle of the night, the ship's 2nd azipod died, and we were dead in the water. Tug boats came and tugged us back to Melbourne, where we stayed a couple more days while they made repairs. By then, we only had time to get to our final destination, Auckland. So instead of 8 port stops, we had 1!! Thankfully, we had planned 10 days in New Zealand after disembarking, so we at least got to see the North Island. 

NCL compensated us fairly well, so we decided to give them another try. What is the chance that the same ship would have mechanical difficulties again, 3 years later? What is the chance that NCL's Customer Service and communications could get worse???? 

If you're reading this, and considering booking an NCL cruise, I recommend against it. There are many good cruiselines out there!

NCL should get rid of the Star, it was not our favorite ship back in 2014.  The ship design stink and it is so old it needs to go.

• Like 1

Besides the mechanical issues, I recall that NCL's decision to put Haven Suites where the nice observation lounge used to be was a horrid mistake. Here is a paragraph from a review I wrote back in 2016. "The one big problem with the Star was one that was caused by a corporate decision.  Several public areas, including the forward lounge on the 13th deck were converted into penthouses and even an officer said it was a mistake during a Q & A session.  The result is there are few public places to enjoy quiet times.   It did seem like a shopping mall at Christmas time when the weather was a bit cold or during the middle of the day.   People looking for a quiet space were many times found in the Spinnaker (no windows on a lower deck) or like places while a ship sponsored activity was also taking place."

On our 2016 sailing, the water system was having problems and the entire ship's water was turned off for a few hours overnight. The next morning, our cabin's water was grey and gritty, requiring a visit from the plumber.

I recall many broken seats in the theater and that was also reported on a more recent review. So, perhaps they did not really fix the theater seats?

• Thanks 1

Has anyone spoken to an NCL employee and received confirmation of an engine problem and schedule dry dock repair? I was met with a very belligerent response from PCC who claimed there was NO mechanical problem and if there WAS a problem, it would be fixed immediately rather than waiting for April. Although disappointed with April change (and still missing OBC’s from first reservation...), we view this change as an investment in a permanent fix before our planned more important September Star itinerary. Can a dry dock spring fix be confirmed?

15 minutes ago, Norway97 said:

Can a dry dock spring fix be confirmed?

Not until NCL announces it. Unless dry docks post schedules and someone happens to find one with Star on the schedule. I have no idea if they do that. 

Otherwise it just seems likely because why else would they do these major schedule changes? 

7 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Besides the mechanical issues, I recall that NCL's decision to put Haven Suites where the nice observation lounge used to be was a horrid mistake. 

Exactly, why would I sail the Star, even when at full strength, as long as there are Jewel class ships available?

22 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Besides the mechanical issues, I recall that NCL's decision to put Haven Suites where the nice observation lounge used to be was a horrid mistake.

Just to put the record straight for now, the Star did not get any Haven Suites fitted when it was changed, they were just "Suites".  There are no Haven suites on Star.

As far as the "mechanicals" are concerned, Star has two rear mounted Azipods that are currently fully serviceable.  There are four diesel-electric power generators that provide the electrical power to operate the two azipods and all hotel services on the ship.  One of these engines is currently out-of-service because of a mechanical failure which happened during the summer.  With full power coming from the three engines running there is enough electrical power to provide all hotel services and have enough to move through the water at around 20 knots which is about 4 or 5 knots below the absolute max for the ship.  When used, that extra speed is expensive in fuel costs so is only used when it is absolutely necessary to go that fast to maintain an unavoidable  tight schedule between ports, so the sequences between ports are normally set so that it is not necessary under a normal schedule.

Most of the port changes over the past few months have been where those very tight scheduled journeys would be otherwise be necessary and changes have been re-planned to account for the loss of that extra boost power from a fourth engine.  Other unavoidable port changes have been for the likes of the sudden changes in Venice after the MSC ships re-engineered the canal banks in the summer and some big forecast storms that forced a route change for the recent TA.  That TA was completed without any known power issues, so repeating the trip the other way with the three serviceable power generators is perfectly feasible.

From what is publicly known, it looks as though the work to restore the fourth engine will be done immediately after the April TA.  That work on the fourth engine apparently needs significant dockside activity,  probably cutting a substantial hole in the side to get "big stuff" in and out of the engine room, but not an actual dry-dock.  Therefore, unless they will be taking the opportunity to do some below waterline work, dry-dock facilities will not be necessary.

Every thing else about this latest "episode" is how NCL have handled the enforced non-availablity time to get the fourth engine back to use.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, old nutter said:

Just to put the record straight for now, the Star did not get any Haven Suites fitted when it was changed, they were just "Suites".  There are no Haven suites on Star.

You are correct. The suites were put in the observation lounge area. The end result was the same for the non-suite passengers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mugtech said:

Exactly, why would I sail the Star, even when at full strength, as long as there are Jewel class ships available?

Itinerary.     I couldn’t care less about what ship I’m on.  Itinerary is my priority and this 6 cruise run around the Horn is superb.   😀

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mugtech said:

Star has actually been my favorite ship.  I think it's the only non-mega ship that has a Spice H20.  It was a covered area which didn't appeal to sun seekers, so it was an awesome spot for those of us who like to curl up with a Kindle.  It has an O'Sheehan's - which scores it many points over the Sun for me.  Plus, the sun deck area had staggered stadium type levels that prevented sun loungers from being stacked super close together.

3 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Itinerary.     I couldn’t care less about what ship I’m on.  Itinerary is my priority and this 6 cruise run around the Horn is superb.   😀

I have to agree with you Budget Queen, the itinerary is why we end up on a certain ship!   I always think you can make the best out of any ship.   

• Like 1