Are there any Car Rental agencies located at White Bay?

Mud_Shark

Our cruise ends at White Bay, and we have an 8 pm flight out that evening.  We would like to rent a car for the day, but every time I use a travel website to make a booking for White bay Cruise terminal, the offered company locations are actually listed as being at Circular Quay.  Is there a shuttle over there or something, or is there a rental company operating out the White Bay terminal?  Thanks for any help.

Don

There are no rental car agencies operating out of White Bay. Your best bet would be to go out to the airport and pick up a car there, then you'll be returning it to the same depot. 

Where are you planning on going by car in Sydney? If it's mainly around the city then bear in mind parking can be hard to get and/or expensive. Ditto for popular beaches like Bondi and Manly.

We were thinking of driving out to the three sisters and the blue mountains.  Realistic idea or not?  Thought we would shoot for about a 5-5:30pm return and drop off at the airport.  Figured if we could rent a car from White bay and get going fairly early we could have 8 or 9 hours for sight-seeing.  Don't really know anything about parking and traffic, having never been in the area before.

Don

When is your cruise? At the moment there are major bush fires burning in the Blue Mountains region, and they may be burning for some time yet, so that may not be a viable option if your cruise is within the next few months. Otherwise it's doable. You need to allow 2-2.5 hours each way as traffic can be bad.

Unfortunately there is stuff-all at White Bay so the best option would be the airport just for ease of getting onto major roads if nothing else. You would have sufficient time to see the Three Sisters and Scenic World.

For efficiency, I'd say it's better to take a taxi to the city as is coming up, as that is a shorter, quicker trip than to the airport. 

You can still return to the airport and the cost is likely the same (actually probably cheaper as avoiding airport surcharge).

That should maximise your free time while reducing cost, both taxi and rental.

Thanks for the info.  Our cruise is not until September (arrives in Sydney in October), so plenty of time I would hope for things to settle down.

Maximizing time was kind of my priority as well, so maybe going with the taxi to the city with an airport drop off is the way to go.  Thanks.

Don

2 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

Thanks for the info.  Our cruise is not until September (arrives in Sydney in October), so plenty of time I would hope for things to settle down.

Maximizing time was kind of my priority as well, so maybe going with the taxi to the city with an airport drop off is the way to go.  Thanks.

Don

Forgot about driving in Sydney,it’s a nightmare.

The ship will have a tour that will take your bags and do a tour and drop you off at the airport .

There a couple tours,one to the blue mountains which drops you at the airport about 3:00.

Or there’s a shorter one that does the beaches and sites ,drops you at the airport by lunch .You could store your bags and catch the train back into town.

We picked up a car fairly close to White Bay but we had to take a short cab ride to the agency.  I believe it may have been Enterprise.  Like others, I would never recommend  car if you are planning to stay in Sydney.  Public transport-train, buses, ferries, are much better.  We picked up a car to drive to Melbourne and then to the Great Ocean Road.

We picked up a rental in Brisbane with a Sydney downtown drop off prior to a cruise..  Never again.  Driving in Sydney was not for us.  It was dumb luck that we took the right exit to get to the agency.

Edited by iancal

Another option. 

Taxi to Sydney Central train station.

Deposit luggage at the facility there.

Take train to the Blue Mountains (KATOOMBA is the main town there).

Then Hobo bus from the station there or short taxi ride to the 3 sisters and 9ther attractions.  MY favourite spot up there is Govetts Leap! 

When you had enough, train back to central, collect luggage, airport train to the airport. (There are 2 stops! Domestic or International.  Don't get off at the wrong stop)