New Gratuity Rate

lorimay

Why not have a policy that includes tips in the price of the cruise and make them impossible to remove? Why not additionally institute a "no additional tipping" policy that penalize staff if they accepted additional tips?  Passengers would know what they are paying and Staff would know what they're receiving.

22 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

Why not have a policy that includes tips in the price of the cruise and make them impossible to remove? Why not additionally institute a "no additional tipping" policy that penalize staff if they accepted additional tips?  Passengers would know what they are paying and Staff would know what they're receiving.

A number of cruise lines DO include gratuities (or say they are gratuity free actually) but lots more expensive.  Azamara, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, e.g.

Why would you penalize staff, though if their performance was above and beyond expectations and were offered an additional gratuity?  I think that would virtually guarantee no staff.  On all the lines quoted above, it is no problem if you want to show a little additional gratuity, which we frequently do.

We pay the gratuity they request.  I did change our perk to gratuity on an upcoming  14 day cruise in August opposed to $150/person as it was a better option.  However we always give extra to our room attendant and extra to wine and service people at main dining although we only eat there maybe out of 4 of the 7 nights for example.  I guess we are the type of people that pay and then tip extra to the ones we actually see often but it is not a lot considering what we spend overall. We appreciate kindness and they do seem to work hard.   I guess that is why we are comfortable acknowledging their service.  We may be, thinking about it, just doing what they want us to do.  I do hope the workers get the gratuity!

We met a couple from Australian on a cruise who never tip ever even on private tours or ever on a cruise.That is their custom we were told.  They were quite clear about that.

We would feel uncomfortable not tipping(we are from USA) and we choose to do it.

• Thanks 1

As one poster on a similar topic once wrote, Cruise lines count on the "customer", to pay a portion of its employees salary by instituting gratuities on the accounts.This creates a much better bottom line for the cruise companies. Now, if all customers refused to pay the gratuities, cruise lines would be forced to pay their employees decent salaries or else the turnover of employees would be enormous, or the cruise lines, could also up the cruise fare. The Aussies have this gratuity issue figured out. Remember now, for those that have issues with the gratuities, you can always remove them from your account, and tip the ones you feel deserving. There's no point screaming Foul about gratuities, as the options, are totally up to you.

• Like 1

Have pre-paid gratuity on my three upcoming X cruises this year. Do not have the same with the two additional HAL cruises also booked. I am sure, however, that all the other lines will follow suite. My TA will keep me posted as soon as HAL probably makes the same announcement. Guess, in actuality, it's a small price to pay, for hard workers, who make my cruises so enjoyable. Happy New Years To All Too.

21 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Because it would make Celebrity appear to be more expensive than other mainstream cruise lines who also use the same pricing model.

We just add the tips to the price when comparing lines, just like any other element like drinks packages and excursions.

We did enjoy a river cruise with an Australian company last year (APT). Drinks, excursions, tips all included. Even included the taxi to /from the airport and the flights. Made it very easy to plan with zero extra costs.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dazey said:

We pay the gratuity they request.  I did change our perk to gratuity on an upcoming  14 day cruise in August opposed to $150/person as it was a better option.  However we always give extra to our room attendant and extra to wine and service people at main dining although we only eat there maybe out of 4 of the 7 nights for example.  I guess we are the type of people that pay and then tip extra to the ones we actually see often but it is not a lot considering what we spend overall. We appreciate kindness and they do seem to work hard.   I guess that is why we are comfortable acknowledging their service.  We may be, thinking about it, just doing what they want us to do.  I do hope the workers get the gratuity!

We met a couple from Australian on a cruise who never tip ever even on private tours or ever on a cruise.That is their custom we were told.  They were quite clear about that.

We would feel uncomfortable not tipping(we are from USA) and we choose to do it.

We agree with your approach to tipping...and were able to make it  work on EDGE with the 4 mdr plan

We would do the math but  seems now that grats and Classic alc seem the better choices for included 2 perk pricing  on longer cruises..unless the OBC  amount is higher..

Edited by hcat

My first Celebrity cruise is just 15 days away and received notice that  I would pay the new rate if I didn't pay in advance for new gratuity,  I was under the impression that "Final Payment" meant that the conditions of your booking were locked in. Guess I was wrong! Leaves a really bad taste and a negative impression of how Celebrity does business. The extra dollar a day might be insignificant, but how it's being applied is!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Life Buoy said:

My first Celebrity cruise is just 15 days away and received notice that  I would pay the new rate if I didn't pay in advance for new gratuity,  I was under the impression that "Final Payment" meant that the conditions of your booking were locked in. Guess I was wrong! Leaves a really bad taste and a negative impression of how Celebrity does business. The extra dollar a day might be insignificant, but how it's being applied is!

If you'd pre-paid the gratuities, the price would be "locked in".  You've chosen not to pre-pay, so the price will be that which is in effect at the time you are charged.  You are not charged for the gratuities until the day the service is delivered (it is a daily amount, charged on board).  You have the choice to pre-pay at today's price, or pay at the time of service, at the price in effect then. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Life Buoy said:

I was under the impression that "Final Payment" meant that the conditions of your booking were locked in. Guess I was wrong!

Things you haven't paid for yet onboard can and do vary all the time, nothing 'locked in' until you actually pay for them...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Things you haven't paid for yet onboard can and do vary all the time, nothing 'locked in' until you actually pay for them...

That is correct, but the conditions have been changed! When I fully paid for the cruise the gratuities where at a set price, now they are at a different price. In effect my cruise contract with Celebrity has been amended to their advantage without my consent. This might be legal, but it still leaves a bitter taste. Think in the future I'll stick to the luxury lines that are upfront. The crew absolutely deserve extra compensation and I usually double tips to my cabin steward, waiters and bar servers.

I do have enough OBC to more than cover the gratuities and was planning to use some of the OBC to cover. If I pay in advance can I use my OBC for gratuities? 

Edited by Life Buoy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

I do have enough OBC to more than cover the gratuities and was planning to use some of the OBC to cover. If I pay in advance can I use my OBC for gratuities? 

No, you can only use the OBC to pay gratuities once you are onboard.

I'm still struggling to see why people are getting so vexed about this change, you are not forced to pay the gratuities, if you don't like the amount go change it once you are onboard to the original total you feel you are entitled to and then pay that using your OBC.

6 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

No, you can only use the OBC to pay gratuities once you are onboard.

I'm still struggling to see why people are getting so vexed about this change, you are not forced to pay the gratuities, if you don't like the amount go change it once you are onboard to the original total you feel you are entitled to and then pay that using your OBC.

I would NEVER change the gratuities and don't respect those who would! I'm vexed because Celebrity appears to apply changes in the rules after one pays in full when a contract is in force. If they change one rule will they change other more significant rules? I am new and have not personally experienced other cruise lines doing the same. Perhaps they do, but I've never experienced it. The money is insignificant, but the principle is important to me.

That's all I have to say and I won't respond further.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

That is correct, but the conditions have been changed! When I fully paid for the cruise the gratuities where at a set price, now they are at a different price. In effect my cruise contract with Celebrity has been amended to their advantage without my consent. This might be legal, but it still leaves a bitter taste. Think in the future I'll stick to the luxury lines that are upfront. The crew absolutely deserve extra compensation and I usually double tips to my cabin steward, waiters and bar servers.

Can you share with us where in your contract with X states/shows that the gratuity is a 'fixed rate' for you for this sailing?

bon voyage

bon voyage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Life Buoy said:

Good grief.  

• Like 1

I learned early in life, when someone says "It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing", it's always the money, and the volume with which they bellow about "principle" is inversely relative to the amount of money involved.  🙂

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Life Buoy said:

I would NEVER change the gratuities and don't respect those who would! I'm vexed because Celebrity appears to apply changes in the rules after one pays in full when a contract is in force. If they change one rule will they change other more significant rules? I am new and have not personally experienced other cruise lines doing the same. Perhaps they do, but I've never experienced it. The money is insignificant, but the principle is important to me.

That's all I have to say and I won't respond further.

You have much to learn young grasshopper

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/30/2019 at 4:22 PM, dazey said:

Why not this? Cancel the tip you would pay to the cruise line and take that money, in cash, and allocate it to the people that deserve it. Then you REALLY know where the money is going. Recently Carnival raised its drink gratuity 3%. They sent a memo to their staff that they would be getting HALF of this increase, with the other half going to other ship expenses. 

I think everyone should cancel gratuities and give it out themselves like gratuities were intended. Doing so would give most staff a big raise.

• Haha 1

"I tip everybody, it's my philosophy.  Actually, it's not tipping I believe in.    It's over tipping."

- Todd Wilkinson

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ano said:

Why not this? Cancel the tip you would pay to the cruise line and take that money, in cash, and allocate it to the people that deserve it. Then you REALLY know where the money is going. Recently Carnival raised its drink gratuity 3%. They sent a memo to their staff that they would be getting HALF of this increase, with the other half going to other ship expenses. 

I think everyone should cancel gratuities and give it out themselves like gratuities were intended. Doing so would give most staff a big raise.

Regardless what other cruise lines do, 100% of the gratuity amount on Celebrity goes to the staff, broken down in the amounts specified by Celebrity.  I find it far easier to let the amount be automatically charged to my account, than having to deal with getting the right amount of cash to each person.  On top of that, using the automatic system covers the staff that provide service in the buffet, and other places. 

Despite your assertion, the staff universally prefers the automatic system.  In the old days those too cheap to tip would avoid the staff that had provided service throughout the cruise.  Now, mere avoidance won't work.  Those people must go to Guest Relations and request removal.  In other words they must be active in their stinginess, rather than merely sneaky. 

I've seen plenty of people at Guest Relations removing the automatic gratuities, and have heard all their claims.  Frankly, in every case it's obvious: They don't want to tip the full amount because they're too cheap.  Worst of all they often try to justify this removal by making claims that the service was not to their liking, literally adding insult (a false claim of poor performance) to injury (depriving people that work harder than they should of income they rely on). 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ano said:

Why not this? Cancel the tip you would pay to the cruise line and take that money, in cash, and allocate it to the people that deserve it.

Uh,no. That's not how it works. First of all, if you remove the autograts, your name is put on a list for all the crew to see. Second, those tips you give instead of the autograts have to be turned in and go into the tip pool, to be shared by all. So you aren't accomplishing a thing except to have your stinginess made known.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1