Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
caligirlfashionista

Extremely disappointed in princess

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

 

If you were so ready to pay for a mini-suite, why did you not do so in the first place when you booked??? 😏

Because... I was told by fellow cruisers that sometimes you can get an upgrade for free ... so why wouldn’t I ask first???🤷‍♀️😒

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry this happened.  I am unclear though.  Did the rep finish the call with you or did you think everything was done on the rep's part and hang up to see what email you got?  As a former customer service agent (not with Princess) I know that if a customer hung up before I was finished then another call came through and I lost ALL the information as the new customer's file would come up on my screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

caligirlfashionista-

          Here is some advice that I do not think has been mentioned in this thread so far. It has to do with due diligence on your part and something you may want to do if you again  contact Princess about arranging for a mini suite.

          Whenever I book a Princess cruise with a phone rep, I always write down the cabin number and the confirmation number. I do not rely on an e mail confirmation of the booking from Princess. It may be old school, but I want to have the information at hand if any discrepancy should occur. 

            You may want to check your Cruise Personalizer to see ,if in fact, the mini suite booking did go through before you contact Princess again.

 Good luck !

Great advice 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, caligirlfashionista said:

Because... I was told by fellow cruisers that sometimes you can get an upgrade for free ... so why wouldn’t I ask first???🤷‍♀️😒

We said goodbye and hung up lol I was excited so I didn’t ask any more questions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the price goes down, I don't think regular agents have the power to upgrade you (with out dealing with a supervisor). If mini suite prices had gone down to the same or cheaper price than your balcony, they can definitely move you to that category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, snowskier said:

 

Devastated --"cause (someone) severe and overwhelming shock or grief". I am so sorry OP has experienced such a severe reaction to a mistake / challenge related to a cruise. Sure hope things get better.  

Yeah I was devastated because I had a bad day and something was finally going right...so yeah.. you’re lucky you don’t have those moments 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, caligirlfashionista said:

Because... I was told by fellow cruisers that sometimes you can get an upgrade for free ... so why wouldn’t I ask first???🤷‍♀️😒

Yes , but not by asking for it ? Just mark your booking as to Allow an Upgrade , it may happen , it may not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, caligirlfashionista said:

 

Call me paranoid, but I never hang-up until I have received my confirmation email, lol.  It happened one time when I made a change and didn't receive it and had to call back and that was a hot mess.  So from now on I make them stay on the phone until the email is received and I can verify any changes, the was my lesson learned.  Hope you do get the cabin you desire and enjoy your cruise.   Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't know why you would think you are entitled to anything free for your husband's birthday, other than a sign on your stateroom door and a tiny cake at dinner. Sorry if I sound unsympathetic.

Did anyone read the whole post, before jumping in to defend their beloved princess?

 

At the end of the call with the first agent, the agent told the customer that she had found an upgrade to a mini-suite for the same price.

 

Perfect.  Customer happy.   

 

The subsequent issue and calls were because the promised upgrade did not show up.

 

Perhaps this section from the original post will be helpful:

 

’.She Said yes, and told me to hold a second to check the rates .She informed me that I was in luck! That  she found a mini suite for the same price that I booked my balcony and said that she would upgrade me. I thanked her several times because I could not express how elated I was. She began the process and my phone alerted me of a princess email .

 

Once the agent said "I have upgraded you", the custome has every right to expect the upgrade,

and to be disappointed if they don't get it.

 

 

Edited by pablo222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

Did anyone read the whole post, before jumping in to defend their beloved princess?

 

At the end of the call with the first agent, the agent told the customer that she had found an upgrade to a mini-suite for the same price.

 

Perfect.  Customer happy.   

 

The subsequent issue and calls were because the promised upgrade did not show up.

 

Perhaps this section from the original post will be helpful:

 

’.She Said yes, and told me to hold a second to check the rates .She informed me that I was in luck! That  she found a mini suite for the same price that I booked my balcony and said that she would upgrade me. I thanked her several times because I could not express how elated I was. She began the process and my phone alerted me of a princess email .

 

Once the agent said "I have upgraded you", the custome has every right to expect the upgrade,

and to be disappointed if they don't get it.

Good point. Hopefully that is true and that mini suite still exists at that price.

 

The other option is to cancel and rebook with a travel agent who discounts. It is possible that the OP can save money and get the cabin that they want. Many agents discount the cruise by 10%.

Edited by Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the OP choose a specific mini or take whatever was available? Did the rep ask if you had a preference of mini's and their location on the ship before the call ended? This just doesn't sound right to me.

 

Whenever I make a cabin change, the rep processes it right away while in on the phone, maybe I've been lucky but they don't hang up with me until it's completed. I have a few cabins in mind when I make the change and they make sure they are actually available before processing the request.

I'm at a computer when I call and log into my personalizer to see the change has been made before I hang up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the time I speak with a Princess rep, I'll be logged in on the Princess website and see changes immediately as they're applied.

 

As for the birthday cake, I didn't request one earlier this month on the Caribbean Princess. I received the card in my cabin letting me know I could. I also had two posters on my door--one "Congratulations!" and one "Happy Birthday!" And when I was sick over my birthday, the medical center sent me a box of Godiva chocolates. That was a very nice touch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

Did anyone read the whole post, before jumping in to defend their beloved princess?

 

At the end of the call with the first agent, the agent told the customer that she had found an upgrade to a mini-suite for the same price.

 

Perfect.  Customer happy.   

 

The subsequent issue and calls were because the promised upgrade did not show up.

 

Perhaps this section from the original post will be helpful:

 

’.She Said yes, and told me to hold a second to check the rates .She informed me that I was in luck! That  she found a mini suite for the same price that I booked my balcony and said that she would upgrade me. I thanked her several times because I could not express how elated I was. She began the process and my phone alerted me of a princess email .

 

Once the agent said "I have upgraded you", the custome has every right to expect the upgrade,

and to be disappointed if they don't get it.

 

 

Yep that’s how I read it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caligirlfashionista said:

There is actually a lot more to this story but as you can see ,I’m a reader not a writer so I didn’t get into every detail and I still am not getting my point across 😩😫🤣

indeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caligirlfashionista,

I didn't mean to sound insensitive...The first part of my post, I was merely joking at the number of free upgrades they would have to hand out if having a birthday was the criteria...

 

What I tried to get across with the latter half of my post, after I said "Seriously..." was to not waste time begging for a free upgrade...They may give them from time to time, but it's not because someone begged for it...THE way to get upgraded, from my long experience, is to MONITOR the pricing on your cruise (I do this every cruise) and to find those price drops yourself.  Run mock bookings on a regular basis and see if you can do better than what you originally got--either a lower fare on the category you booked, a better offer with free perks or a better category of cabin...then call and YOU tell them exactly what you want booked...and, yes, as others have noted, DO NOT hang up until they have given you a precise cabin number (if that's the deal AND ask immediately for a confirming email...Even keep them on the phone until you see that email come through and READ IT...Do not assume that any email from Princess is that confirmation...Princess (and every other cruise line) sends me emails every day--often multiple emails per day.

 

And never put too much stock in what that cruise line phone rep comes up with on the phone call...It is frightening just how wrong they often are.  Unless you see the rate on your computer, don't assume they found you a miracle lower rate on a suite--they often misread things...The rate may have never existed.  Or, yes, it may have been their a moment, then disappeared--maybe a lone cabin and someone else grabbed it first, maybe just an unbookable glitch in the system...

 

I had this happen to me last year on Celebrity...I know the actual rate was up on the website...and, since I booked with a TA, I called her and she got Celebrity on the line...and the rate disappeared while we were all on the line.  The Celebrity rep then could not get me the rate--the "system" would not allow it.  Here is what I did:  I escalated the thing by writing emails to the VP of Customer Service, copying every Customer Service and executive email address I could find...AND I got a call back...and was offered a slightly lower rate and some OBC to make up for the rate difference and a free specialty restaurant dinner for my trouble...I tried not to come across angry, not to argue with anyone, tried to sound grateful for whatever they might do...just tried to impress upon them that what happened should not have and it clearly was not my fault, that I did everything by their book...

 

That's what I would suggest here:  Try to get through to people higher in the chain at Princess...and explain, nicely, to them what happened.  People in Customer Service (not the booking agents) are there to make YOU happy.  They get lots of complaints though...and don't do much for people who are rude or angry but have no real legitimate claim...But, it sounds as though you have a documentable legitimate claim, so this is one you have a good chance at getting some relief from.  Good luck.

Edited by Bruin Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my birthday cruise on the Sky in Nov. we put in into the planner that I would be celebrating my Birthday on the cruise. I did get the cake, yummy, and I got a Spa gift card for $50. I did not get anything on the door, not sure if they still do that. Did not affect my celebration, seems like our room attendant was busy enough without having another thing to take care of. Oh, and the singing was very special, used the cake card in Alfredo's. Very fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Yeah I was devastated because I had a bad day and something was finally going right...so yeah.. you’re lucky you don’t have those moments 😏"

 

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to take seriously a post that uses the word "devastated" and has so many emojis in the same post (see original and follow-up posts).   Personally I reserve the word 'devastated" for those who just found out their house burned down or a beloved relative has died or are hearing a life-threatening medical diagnosis, not failing to get an upgrade to a mini-suite.   

Edited by Kartgv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, caligirlfashionista said:

...said someone else probably got it while she was trying to book the suite for me

 

Just FYI - a mini-suite is not a "suite".  It's nothing like a suite in any way, shape or form.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've received two comp upgrades simply by calling and politely asking for it.  But that was many moons ago.  They do not do that anymore, rather offer upsells, and even those are computer driven based on inventory and demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

"Yeah I was devastated because I had a bad day and something was finally going right...so yeah.. you’re lucky you don’t have those moments 😏"

 

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to take seriously a post that uses the word "devastated" and has so many emojis in the same post (see original and follow-up posts).   Personally I reserve the word 'devastated" for those who just found out their house burned down or a beloved relative has died or are hearing a life-threatening medical diagnosis, not failing to get an upgrade to a mini-suite.   

Take it for what you want... you and I and not the same nor do we share the same feelings, allow me to feel however I feel and be okay with it😩 please. I’m not asking for you to beak down the definition or tell me how to feel!You know absolutely nothing about me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Caligirlfashionista,

I didn't mean to sound insensitive...The first part of my post, I was merely joking at the number of free upgrades they would have to hand out if having a birthday was the criteria...

 

What I tried to get across with the latter half of my post, after I said "Seriously..." was to not waste time begging for a free upgrade...They may give them from time to time, but it's not because someone begged for it...THE way to get upgraded, from my long experience, is to MONITOR the pricing on your cruise (I do this every cruise) and to find those price drops yourself.  Run mock bookings on a regular basis and see if you can do better than what you originally got--either a lower fare on the category you booked, a better offer with free perks or a better category of cabin...then call and YOU tell them exactly what you want booked...and, yes, as others have noted, DO NOT hang up until they have given you a precise cabin number (if that's the deal AND ask immediately for a confirming email...Even keep them on the phone until you see that email come through and READ IT...Do not assume that any email from Princess is that confirmation...Princess (and every other cruise line) sends me emails every day--often multiple emails per day.

 

And never put too much stock in what that cruise line phone rep comes up with on the phone call...It is frightening just how wrong they often are.  Unless you see the rate on your computer, don't assume they found you a miracle lower rate on a suite--they often misread things...The rate may have never existed.  Or, yes, it may have been their a moment, then disappeared--maybe a lone cabin and someone else grabbed it first, maybe just an unbookable glitch in the system...

 

I had this happen to me last year on Celebrity...I know the actual rate was up on the website...and, since I booked with a TA, I called her and she got Celebrity on the line...and the rate disappeared while we were all on the line.  The Celebrity rep then could not get me the rate--the "system" would not allow it.  Here is what I did:  I escalated the thing by writing emails to the VP of Customer Service, copying every Customer Service and executive email address I could find...AND I got a call back...and was offered a slightly lower rate and some OBC to make up for the rate difference and a free specialty restaurant dinner for my trouble...I tried not to come across angry, not to argue with anyone, tried to sound grateful for whatever they might do...just tried to impress upon them that what happened should not have and it clearly was not my fault, that I did everything by their book...

 

That's what I would suggest here:  Try to get through to people higher in the chain at Princess...and explain, nicely, to them what happened.  People in Customer Service (not the booking agents) are there to make YOU happy.  They get lots of complaints though...and don't do much for people who are rude or angry but have no real legitimate claim...But, it sounds as though you have a documentable legitimate claim, so this is one you have a good chance at getting some relief from.  Good luck.

Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Caligirlfashionista,

I didn't mean to sound insensitive...The first part of my post, I was merely joking at the number of free upgrades they would have to hand out if having a birthday was the criteria...

 

What I tried to get across with the latter half of my post, after I said "Seriously..." was to not waste time begging for a free upgrade...They may give them from time to time, but it's not because someone begged for it...THE way to get upgraded, from my long experience, is to MONITOR the pricing on your cruise (I do this every cruise) and to find those price drops yourself.  Run mock bookings on a regular basis and see if you can do better than what you originally got--either a lower fare on the category you booked, a better offer with free perks or a better category of cabin...then call and YOU tell them exactly what you want booked...and, yes, as others have noted, DO NOT hang up until they have given you a precise cabin number (if that's the deal AND ask immediately for a confirming email...Even keep them on the phone until you see that email come through and READ IT...Do not assume that any email from Princess is that confirmation...Princess (and every other cruise line) sends me emails every day--often multiple emails per day.

 

And never put too much stock in what that cruise line phone rep comes up with on the phone call...It is frightening just how wrong they often are.  Unless you see the rate on your computer, don't assume they found you a miracle lower rate on a suite--they often misread things...The rate may have never existed.  Or, yes, it may have been their a moment, then disappeared--maybe a lone cabin and someone else grabbed it first, maybe just an unbookable glitch in the system...

 

I had this happen to me last year on Celebrity...I know the actual rate was up on the website...and, since I booked with a TA, I called her and she got Celebrity on the line...and the rate disappeared while we were all on the line.  The Celebrity rep then could not get me the rate--the "system" would not allow it.  Here is what I did:  I escalated the thing by writing emails to the VP of Customer Service, copying every Customer Service and executive email address I could find...AND I got a call back...and was offered a slightly lower rate and some OBC to make up for the rate difference and a free specialty restaurant dinner for my trouble...I tried not to come across angry, not to argue with anyone, tried to sound grateful for whatever they might do...just tried to impress upon them that what happened should not have and it clearly was not my fault, that I did everything by their book...

 

That's what I would suggest here:  Try to get through to people higher in the chain at Princess...and explain, nicely, to them what happened.  People in Customer Service (not the booking agents) are there to make YOU happy.  They get lots of complaints though...and don't do much for people who are rude or angry but have no real legitimate claim...But, it sounds as though you have a documentable legitimate claim, so this is one you have a good chance at getting some relief from.  Good luck.

Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, milolii said:

Yep that’s how I read it.  

Thank you... it weird that people are quick to get so offended when the vets on this forum were the very people who told me to ask lol... good grief!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...