HAL's laundry bags and dry cleaning?

I have searched here, but can't seem to find any specific info about what one can/cannot put into the HAL's laundry bags.

Are there restrictions? Or is it up to my own discretion about what clothes I choose to put in the bag and take my own chances?

Are the prices for dry cleaning listed anywhere on HAL's website? Or does anyone have a pic of the price list?

Specifically, checking about charge for dry-cleaning man's suit.

Thanks in advance for answers to my questions.

1 minute ago, Funatabi said:

I have searched here, but can't seem to find any specific info about what one can/cannot put into the HAL's laundry bags.

Are there restrictions? Or is it up to my own discretion about what clothes I choose to put in the bag and take my own chances?

There’s no restriction as to what you put in the laundry bag.  HAL does a pretty good job on the laundry IMO.  I’ve had no issues.

1 minute ago, Funatabi said:

Are the prices for dry cleaning listed anywhere on HAL's website? Or does anyone have a pic of the price list?

Specifically, checking about charge for dry-cleaning man's suit.

Thanks in advance for answers to my questions.

I have checked the pricing and it is quite reasonable.  Here is a link to a listing from a site many of us use - Laundry ;& dry cleaning list.  I’m not sure if prices have changed since it was posted or not - but, it wouldn’t be too significant.

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

There’s no restriction as to what you put in the laundry bag.  HAL does a pretty good job on the laundry IMO.  I’ve had no issues.

I have checked the pricing and it is quite reasonable.  Here is a link to a listing from a site many of us use - Laundry ;& dry cleaning list.  I’m not sure if prices have changed since it was posted or not - but, it wouldn’t be too significant.

Wow, Kazu. Thanks for the great help with what I was looking for. I thought there might be a link to laundry/dry-cleaning prices. And you sent it. ☺️

This gives me a good idea of what I can have laundered/dry cleaned and the costs. 

Ron

4 minutes ago, Funatabi said:

Wow, Kazu. Thanks for the great help with what I was looking for. I thought there might be a link to laundry/dry-cleaning prices. And you sent it. ☺️

This gives me a good idea of what I can have laundered/dry cleaned and the costs. 

Ron

You are most welcome and just to add...

Don’t pay the individual pricing for laundry.  You can have it done by the bag ($20 per bag except Europe) or unlimited laundry ($7 for the day per cabin - except in Europe)  for the cruise (doesn’t include dry cleaning) and is much more reasonable than paying individually.  

I can’t swear to those prices as we didn’t pay last time 😉 

Being 5 stars, we get the free laundry.  We always take things that HAL has washed before.  Definitely nothing delicate. After several HAL washings, clothing will be noticeably a bit thinner. I also prewash any food stains as if you don't they will get permanently etched in your clothing. For some reason small food stains don't come out in their laundry.I sometimes wonder if they use soap.  I just do a little shampoo and water to get anything out before I throw it in the bag.  I check each piece before I put it in the bag. With that being said, shirts and slacks come back delightfully pressed and creased. Over all they do a good job with a few caveats. 

I used the unlimited laundry package on my last HAL cruise - was worth every penny! ($98 for a 14 day cruise in Alaska).  Clothes we sent out came back ironed and either folded in a basket wrapped in tissue (undergarments, socks, etc), or on hangers in blue hanging bags (t-shirts, shorts, shirts/blouses, skirts, pants, swimsuits, etc).  We had no issues with shrinkage or clothing being damaged. 

We did not use their dry-cleaning as all the clothes we brought could be laundered, but I remember the pricing being competitive to what I pay at home..

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
13 minutes ago, wesport said:

Being 5 stars, we get the free laundry.  We always take things that HAL has washed before.  Definitely nothing delicate. After several HAL washings, clothing will be noticeably a bit thinner. I also prewash any food stains as if you don't they will get permanently etched in your clothing. For some reason small food stains don't come out in their laundry.I sometimes wonder if they use soap.  I just do a little shampoo and water to get anything out before I throw it in the bag.  I check each piece before I put it in the bag. With that being said, shirts and slacks come back delightfully pressed and creased. Over all they do a good job with a few caveats. 

Agree with this.

We sent laundry out on Koningsdam this December. Shirts with minor stains on them come back with the stains set. There is little to no fragrance on the clothing that is laundered. The dry cleaning seemed a little better. Dry cleaning comes back pressed. You have the option of having your clothes folded or placed on hangers.

Honestly, if you have a stain on something, I would recommend using the bar soap in your bathroom to "pre-treat" (or a Tide pen) before sending out to HAL's laundry.

I am very careful as to what I send out.  Delicates I hand wash in the sink.

I also take pictures of everything I send out.  One time we had sent out 8 Polo brand shirts.  Only 7 came back.  I was asked to describe the missing one.  I couldn't.  Thus pictures after that.  They can easily be deleted from the camera.

34 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

Agree with this.

We sent laundry out on Koningsdam this December. Shirts with minor stains on them come back with the stains set. There is little to no fragrance on the clothing that is laundered. The dry cleaning seemed a little better. Dry cleaning comes back pressed. You have the option of having your clothes folded or placed on hangers.

Honestly, if you have a stain on something, I would recommend using the bar soap in your bathroom to "pre-treat" (or a Tide pen) before sending out to HAL's laundry.

I think the tide pen is an excellent idea. This past week, we were on the nieuw Amsterdam. One cotton polo came back with blue ink on it. Almost as if done by a pen.a three inch line.  Will have to take rubbing alcohol to the pen mark. One powder blue dress shirt came back with brown spots on the pocket. Luckily that came out with just water. Would love to see the process. Maybe next cruise I will ask the question at the Ask The Captain q and a😐

We used unlimited laundry on the Nieuw Statendam in October and it was a game changer for us!

Everything went in the bag daily and everything came back as good as new.  No issues sending anything and everything. The bag was out in the evening and was usually back the next day.  Incredibly fast service also. 

(We had been in Europe a week prior so we boarded with all dirty clothes.  Unlimited laundry allowed us to travel 3 weeks with just a cary on bag each)

• 2 weeks later...

How does the laundry by the bag work? Do you have to pre-order the bags? We are thinking of doing the 48-Day cruise of the Americas. So doing laundry is a big concern for us on such a long cruise. I am thinking that laundry by the bag would be the way to go. We would probably do laundry 4 - 6 times for $20/bag. Would this be the cheapest way?

The bag and the form will be in your stateroom hanging in the closet.

For the business case....unlimited would be 7 x 48 = $336, 6 bags x $20 = $180......So the cheapest would be by the bag but we look at it differently.....

.....by doing unlimited, were were able to pack very, very light.....just a carry on bag for each of us for 3 weeks in Europe.  It was also very convenient to just toss the day's dirty clothes in the bag, fill out the form and presto, they come back the next day or so all clean......With Delta charging $40 a bag and having to lug luggage on/off the European trains it was money well spent.

.....we are anxious to get to 4 Stars when it's FREE.

Have fun on the cruise.....48 days sounds awesome.

On 12/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, kazu said:

You are most welcome and just to add...

Don’t pay the individual pricing for laundry.  You can have it done by the bag ($20 per bag except Europe) or unlimited laundry ($7 for the day per cabin - except in Europe)  for the cruise (doesn’t include dry cleaning) and is much more reasonable than paying individually.  

I can’t swear to those prices as we didn’t pay last time 😉 

What are the laundry rules in Europe please?  No bags, only individual?  

thank you

Thank you Fla Mariner for your feedback. You have certainly gave a convincing argument for using the daily laundry service rather the per bag service. After taking into account the check bag fees that airlines seem to be charging. The saving from the per bag service is insignificant.

@Vineyard View<<What are the laundry rules in Europe please?  No bags, only individual?  >>

No the options are the same, just the prices are different if either end of your cruise is in Europe (not sure about the odd cruise that starts and ends in North America but calls on Europe). Europe bag: US$30 -- unlimited = US$9/day/cabin (NOT person).

Edited by crystalspin