Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cruise Raider

Moving to a non-refundable deposit

I currently have a refundable deposit on my booking using a FCD.  My final payment date is in one week and my TA noted that I could save about $100 if I move to the non-refundable deposit option.  We full well plan on going on this sailing and see no reasons as to why we would cancel it other than a catastrophe at home or illness ... but other things do pop up from time to time.  

So, my question is this ... if we move our FCD to a non-refundable deposit option, is there any downside to this as it is so close to the final payment date?  We do have the Princess Platinum Protection on this booking.  If some unforeseen circumstance comes up and we have to cancel for any reason, would we get the full amount of the cruise back in future cruise credits or would it be minus the deposit amount?  And if it is minus the deposit amount, is that only the amount of the FCD or is it more, depending on their required deposit amount at the time of the booking. 

In other words, if I used a FCD but, if I had not, the deposit would have been $400 .... is that $400 removed from any credits I would receive if I had to cancel, or would it be just the FCD amount of $200 ... or would I get the entire amount back in future cruise credits to be used within that year?  

I hope this makes sense ... 

9 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I currently have a refundable deposit on my booking using a FCD.  My final payment date is in one week and my TA noted that I could save about $100 if I move to the non-refundable deposit option.  We full well plan on going on this sailing and see no reasons as to why we would cancel it other than a catastrophe at home or illness ... but other things do pop up from time to time.  

So, my question is this ... if we move our FCD to a non-refundable deposit option, is there any downside to this as it is so close to the final payment date?  We do have the Princess Platinum Protection on this booking.  If some unforeseen circumstance comes up and we have to cancel for any reason, would we get the full amount of the cruise back in future cruise credits or would it be minus the deposit amount?  And if it is minus the deposit amount, is that only the amount of the FCD or is it more, depending on their required deposit amount at the time of the booking. 

In other words, if I used a FCD but, if I had not, the deposit would have been $400 .... is that $400 removed from any credits I would receive if I had to cancel, or would it be just the FCD amount of $200 ... or would I get the entire amount back in future cruise credits to be used within that year?  

I hope this makes sense ... 

The TA should have advised you on the drawbacks (if any) when they told you you could save $100.

Unless there is a reason we never add the Princess insurance until final.

Not sure anyone here can give you an accurate answer,

My experience has been you get the deposit value back IF you use either the CFAR cancellation (credit) or a covered reason cancellation (cash).  But that is because the coverage is coming from purchased insurance and is not a random pre-final cancellation.

It is going to be treated as a cancellation and a new booking. You may lose the room and any benefits given with the original booking.

15 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

My experience has been you get the deposit value back IF you use either the CFAR cancellation (credit) or a covered reason cancellation (cash).  But that is because the coverage is coming from purchased insurance and is not a random pre-final cancellation.

Perfect ....  that answers my question!  Thanks!  

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Perfect ....  that answers my question!  Thanks!  

Call the TA and get the details for your situation.

I can not answer your question but I would guess that Princess has a policy for people trying to game the system.

3 hours ago, rhblake said:

I can not answer your question but I would guess that Princess has a policy for people trying to game the system.

Do you mean that to say I am trying to game the system??  If not, my apologies ... but, if so .. WTH are you even talking about?  Things happen when we get older ... just wondering what my losses would be if I had to cancel for some reason.  Paying the extra $100 might be worth it as insurance to receive my deposit back.  How much the deposit would be, if not returned, may make a difference on whether or not I switch to the non-refundable deposit.  

Again ... my apologies if you weren't just implying I am trying to game the system and if not, way too many trolls here on Cruise Critic lately! 

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if you are using a FCD, then you also have an onboard credit associated with it.  Does you TA indicate whether you lose the OBC if changing to non-refundable deposit?

Most times the non-refundable deposit is associated with a special offer, but in my experience we can still use the FCD even if after final payment.   However your post suggests there is part of the story you haven't shared - where did the extra $100 savings come from?

5 hours ago, rhblake said:

I’m not sure I would call this ‘gaming the system’ as you do, but Princess does have a policy for people who refare, rebook or otherwise choose to take advantage of a better price or package prior to final payment; they say “Thank you for choosing Princess Cruises”.

22 minutes ago, rhblake said:

Cruise Raider, you have been protecting 100% of your deposit since the date you made your original refundable deposit. Now one week before final payment you are thinking about converting to a non-refundable deposit in order to reduce the cruise fare and are willing to chance losing your original deposit for the period of one week. Yes, I call that trying to game the system. If you believe that me telling it as I see it is trolling, so be it.

so noted!! 

Edited by Cruise Raider

4 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

I’m not sure I would call this ‘gaming the system’ as you do, but Princess does have a policy for people who refare, rebook or otherwise choose to take advantage of a better price or package prior to final payment; they say “Thank you for choosing Princess Cruises”.

Well said!!   Thank you ... 

16 minutes ago, Times Prince said:

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if you are using a FCD, then you also have an onboard credit associated with it.  Does you TA indicate whether you lose the OBC if changing to non-refundable deposit?

Most times the non-refundable deposit is associated with a special offer, but in my experience we can still use the FCD even if after final payment.   However your post suggests there is part of the story you haven't shared - where did the extra $100 savings come from?

No hidden agenda or story here ... I was merely asking what I would lose if I had to cancel for some unforeseen circumstance down the road.  The savings would come from switching to a non-refundable promotion.  

I think it is a responsible financial move to protect (or insure) my investment ... $100 less just to save $200 if I canceled?  Because I am certainly not planning on cancelling, I probably wouldn't wouldn't use this option.  Saving $100 to protect $400? Now, I have a decision to make.  Saving a $100 to protect $600 or more?  Well, in that case, I will stick with what I have.  

22 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

No hidden agenda or story here ... I was merely asking what I would lose if I had to cancel for some unforeseen circumstance down the road.  The savings would come from switching to a non-refundable promotion.  

I think it is a responsible financial move to protect (or insure) my investment ... $100 less just to save $200 if I canceled?  Because I am certainly not planning on cancelling, I probably wouldn't wouldn't use this option.  Saving $100 to protect $400? Now, I have a decision to make.  Saving a $100 to protect $600 or more?  Well, in that case, I will stick with what I have.  

Cruise Raider, you are doing nothing wrong here and shame on those that are making it sound like you are. I think that is great your TA advised your of this. If you are currently booked with no additional amenities other than a non-refundable deposit ship board credit and you are just a week away from final why not take advantage of the lower fare. It is just your Deposit that becomes non-refundable and it would become non-refundable in a week. You most definitely will not lose any ship board credit from your Future Cruise Deposit. If you do have additional amenities from Princess from a promotion then you could lose that and would have to weigh that out. I personally did the same thing for my upcoming Royal cruise in February. I saved $100.00 per person prior to making the final. I think also added my Platinum insurance. See if they will refare the cost of the insurance with the lower price. Not sure they will which is why I always wait to add the insurance when I make final payment. 

On 12/28/2019 at 10:28 AM, denmarks said:

It is going to be treated as a cancellation and a new booking. You may lose the room and any benefits given with the original booking.

This is NOT correct, nothing changes other that the Fare code, it is  a simple change in the Princess booking system. No need to worry about cancellation or losing a cabin.

27 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

ruise Raider, you are doing nothing wrong here and shame on those that are making it sound like you are. I think that is great your TA advised your of this. If you are currently booked with no additional amenities other than a non-refundable deposit ship board credit and you are just a week away from final why not take advantage of the lower fare. It is just your Deposit that becomes non-refundable and it would become non-refundable in a week.

This.  I've done it before, nothing untoward about it. 

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Cruise Raider, you are doing nothing wrong here and shame on those that are making it sound like you are. I think that is great your TA advised your of this. If you are currently booked with no additional amenities other than a non-refundable deposit ship board credit and you are just a week away from final why not take advantage of the lower fare. It is just your Deposit that becomes non-refundable and it would become non-refundable in a week. You most definitely will not lose any ship board credit from your Future Cruise Deposit. If you do have additional amenities from Princess from a promotion then you could lose that and would have to weigh that out. I personally did the same thing for my upcoming Royal cruise in February. I saved $100.00 per person prior to making the final. I think also added my Platinum insurance. See if they will refare the cost of the insurance with the lower price. Not sure they will which is why I always wait to add the insurance when I make final payment. 

Thank you!!!  You restored my faith in humanity and Cruise Critic!  Plus, you answered my question!!  

Yes, the insurance will be paid at the time of final payment, as I always do and, it did drop my insurance but ever so slightly.  Nevertheless, a savings in a savings.  In addition to that savings, I will also gain some onboard credit, again, just a small amount but every little bit helps.  

Thanks again ... happy New Year!

14 hours ago, rhblake said:

Cruise Raider, you have been protecting 100% of your deposit since the date you made your original refundable deposit. Now one week before final payment you are thinking about converting to a non-refundable deposit in order to reduce the cruise fare and are willing to chance losing your original deposit for the period of one week. Yes, I call that trying to game the system. If you believe that me telling it as I see it is trolling, so be it.

Where in the contract of carriage or ticket restrictions are you reading this, because I find nothing prohibiting what Cruise Raider is doing.  You know Princess and their counsel's office would have been onto this years ago and spelled it out if it were prohibited, so your characterization is unwarranted. 

13 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Wow. Unwarranted nastiness.

So brave behind a keyboard, some people are. 

I’ve switched my booking from a BE balcony to an S6 suite a month, or so before final payment and the fare for the suite required a non refundable deposit, which I agreed to. I got to keep my OBC and the booking reference number remained the same as before.