Jump to content

Packing secrets


Scubadoc
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

^^THIS^^

 

When I was the organizer for a 10-person family cruise, I brought so much "just in case" stuff I had to check a suitcase! Also it was so much stress, I decided to take fewer members (at a time) on more different cruises!

It's just us and our two daughters with spouses and two kids each. I can't imagine any of them being interested in a cruise so not likely an issue for us. PS: Can you spell "delegation"????? LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, clo said:

It's just us and our two daughters with spouses and two kids each. I can't imagine any of them being interested in a cruise so not likely an issue for us. PS: Can you spell "delegation"????? LOL.

 

I have two kids.  They were elite on Princess before they were 18.  Now they each have two kids.  My 14 YO grandson has been on 7 cruises at 56 days and the youngest who is now 8 has only been on 1 at 10 days.  We have always considered cruising a family vacation.  My DH and I are getting ready to go on our Princess 31st cruise at 264 days.  We have cruised by ourselves, just immediate family and kids and extended family and friends up to 26 people.   I can't imagine any of them NOT being interested in a cruise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, notentirelynormal said:

I can't imagine any of them NOT being interested in a cruise.

They'd rather rock climb, backcountry ski, etc. To be in the water they'll go to a river and kayak etc. Different strokes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2020 at 12:09 AM, clo said:

I bought them after a splurge to business class and, wow, what a difference it made. I've never really been able to watch any film/show/etc on a plane cause the noise of the engines gives me problems. 

 

You will also find yourself less fatigued after flights.  A lot of the fatigue is from the noise.

 

I wear ear plugs or have my NC headphones on at all times.  I turn my head to sleep, so have to switch to ear plugs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2020 at 9:09 PM, clo said:

Thanks for your comments. One of us almost has a scrap of paper and a pen if we need to make a note. But we pretty much 100% travel just the two of us so don't need to leave notes for others.


Don't you ever split up?  We spend most of our time together, but sometimes go our separate ways.  He'll go craft beer tasting while I go to the opera or ballet.  A month ago he went out to explore while I took a nap.  I woke up and decided to walk a couple of blocks to Starbucks (don't judge) for a Vanilla Latte.  I left him a note on a Sticky so he'd know where I was. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2020 at 1:19 PM, MissP22 said:

That's a new one for me. 

I assume you're going to lock you suitcase to protect all those other unnecessary items you'll have with you. 😄

 

Obviously you don't travel much or you'd understand how a small padlock can come in handy as a first level deterrent on trains for example.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, ducklite said:

 

Obviously you don't travel much or you'd understand how a small padlock can come in handy as a first level deterrent on trains for example.  

We travel enough to realize that the strongest padlock doesn't do a bit of good against anyone going into your suitcase anytime they feel like it. 

But if it make you feel safe then go right ahead & lock them up. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We travel enough to realize that the strongest padlock doesn't do a bit of good against anyone going into your suitcase anytime they feel like it. 

But if it make you feel safe then go right ahead & lock them up. 

 

 


Maybe you missed my earlier post.  

 

I use them for zippers that like to don't like to stay closed.  We use them when placing items like a backpack on a luggage rack on a train where it's in the sight line of many, but not necessarily us. 

 

We aren't fools and know that a ballpoint pen can penetrate almost any zipper, but also know that when things are in plain sight of peoples eyes, a thief will always choose the lowest hanging fruit.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...in Italy it is pointless to put a padlock on your suitcase when on a train.  

 

Why...thieves take the entire suitcase.  Much easier that messing about opening a bag.

 

We have traveled frequently, internationally and have never used a padlock.   Never saw the point.  Never had anything stolen.  No issue now since we only travel with carry on.

Edited by iancal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ducklite said:


Don't you ever split up?  We spend most of our time together, but sometimes go our separate ways.  He'll go craft beer tasting while I go to the opera or ballet.  A month ago he went out to explore while I took a nap.  I woke up and decided to walk a couple of blocks to Starbucks (don't judge) for a Vanilla Latte.  I left him a note on a Sticky so he'd know where I was. 

We just use already used paper. We're kinda into "save the planet" mode 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We travel enough to realize that the strongest padlock doesn't do a bit of good against anyone going into your suitcase anytime they feel like it. 

But if it make you feel safe then go right ahead & lock them up. 

 

 

 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We travel enough to realize that the strongest padlock doesn't do a bit of good against anyone going into your suitcase anytime they feel like it. 

But if it make you feel safe then go right ahead & lock them up. 

 

 

By this standard you should never lock your front door of your house or your car door because someone could punch out the window and get inside. Sure locks aren't fool proof; I think everyone knows that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

 

By this standard you should never lock your front door of your house or your car door because someone could punch out the window and get inside. Sure locks aren't fool proof; I think everyone knows that!

Actually we never lock our windows at home and even the locks on our doors can be bypassed without doing much damage. We all know that if a person doesn't care how much damage they do anything can be easily compromised. 

 

Locking a suitcase only indicates your carrying something of value. 

A car is different story. Unless someone steals the whole car at least it provides some determent to a thief. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iancal said:

...in Italy it is pointless to put a padlock on your suitcase when on a train.  

 

Why...thieves take the entire suitcase.  Much easier that messing about opening a bag.

 

We have traveled frequently, internationally and have never used a padlock.   Never saw the point.  Never had anything stolen.  No issue now since we only travel with carry on.


That's why we often will carabiner/padlock a couple of them together so it would be too awkward to try to grab one and bolt with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ducklite said:


We don't carry random scraps of paper when we travel.

We don't make a point of "carrying' it just seems to be about. Either in a bag or in an apt. or cruise cabin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've learned that clear resealable plastic bags are great for containing and finding all those little things that go into the suitcase. Electronic gizmos in one bag, underwear & socks in another.
Meds. Toiletries. You get the idea.
Then unpacking into the cabin drawers is a breeze too (keep things in the bags), as is packing up at the end of the cruise.
And I can find all those little things when I need them!
They help too if you're pulled over at security.
And in these days of avoiding plastic waste, the bags go back into the kitchen drawer at home to be reused.
Oh, and I also take a largish, empty plastic grocery bag to collect laundry in.
Total extra weight and space: negligible.

Edited by Canuker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Canuker said:

And in these days of avoiding plastic waste, the bags go back into the kitchen drawer at home to be reused.

We have a "travel box" and they go in there after a trip. I will say, however, that we used packing cubes for a recent trip. Only for clothes but are thinking about picking up a few more for the kind of things you mention. Re security we don't have anything in our carryon that they're interested in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, clo said:

We don't make a point of "carrying' it just seems to be about. Either in a bag or in an apt. or cruise cabin.

We tend to tell each other where we are going or what our plans are for the day. We do not find the need to leave notes for each other for the hour or four we are apart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We tend to tell each other where we are going or what our plans are for the day. We do not find the need to leave notes for each other for the hour or four we are apart.


We don't do it all the time, but in my example where I was taking a nap and then decided to go get a latte while my husband was out--if he had come back and I was gone, he might get a bit worried if I hadn't left a note.  It's just the courteous thing to do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ducklite said:


We don't do it all the time, but in my example where I was taking a nap and then decided to go get a latte while my husband was out--if he had come back and I was gone, he might get a bit worried if I hadn't left a note.  It's just the courteous thing to do.

I suppose you don't have a mobile and do what you need to do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We tend to tell each other where we are going or what our plans are for the day. We do not find the need to leave notes for each other for the hour or four we are apart.

Once I thought about it I realized that about the only times I can remember is when in summer he plays golf at 6AM. If he fed he dog he left a note "fed Gypsy" or "didn't feed Gypsy." We reused them day after day :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We tend to tell each other where we are going or what our plans are for the day. We do not find the need to leave notes for each other for the hour or four we are apart.

Likewise.

We just highlight the patter each day & shoot a picture of it.

It provides a quick reference of each others daily activities.

That being said the location feature on the Medallion ships provides locations for cabin mates. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Princess Cruises - Medallion Masters!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...