Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
LadyLion_AP

Explorer...Undercover Boss Needed?

Recommended Posts

Current on Day 3 of our 9-night NYE sailing on Explorer of the Seas.

 

A little background: My family travels in 3 generations at/near Xmas every year beginning a little over a decade ago (as hubby was deployed to Germany for 2 years & we spent Xmas overseas). We alternate cruise & land vacations each year. 

 

This is our 3rd Xmas cruise with RCCL but have cruised with RCCL multiple times & on most classes of ships.

 

Why I suggest Undercover Boss?

I read the not so great reviews ahead of time so came prepared. I’ll preface my noticings with the fact that we ARE having a great vacation because we’ll be certain to. We work very hard, have invested in a lot of extras to make our vacay even nicer, and we enjoy spending time together...and we LOVE the Ocean!!!!

 

The ugly:

- The ship is not in the best shape. One  example....There are actually windows TAPED shut. (Easy to get past but it definitely doesn’t represent the product well. I’d be embarrassed if I was in charge here!)

-  Overall worst service we’ve experienced on any ship & any cruise line. Yes. Some employees are spectacular but too many are not!

- Worst dining experiences in any venue....by far! We’ve eaten in the MDR, Chops, Giovanni’s, & Johnny Rockets thus far. Giovanni’s has had the best service so far but the food is not comparable to Giovanni’s on other ships. All family members have this opinion.

- My husband still hasn’t met our room steward.

- None of us can tell you the cruise director. Granted we haven’t gone to most shows but that’s typical for us on ships other than Oasis or Quantum class. We have usually seen and/or met the cruise director multiple times by now.

- All of the “little things” are missing: Invitations/Reminders for specialty diners in the stateroom (good thing I wrote them down as my Reservations aren’t accurate on the TV), greetings from the staff, periodic check-ins from the room steward, etc.

- Internet is the worst! We use it mostly to text but hubby does have to work at least one day this cruise. What’s funny is I thought I lost this post to spotty internet twice. Would be surprised if there ends up being duplicate posts!

 

These things probably sound minor as you read it but experiencing it is interesting to say the least. Hubby & I both said today....Had this been our 1st RCCL Cruise, it would certainly be our last. As a reference point....Our two Carnival cruises years ago far surpassed this cruise in quality of product! RCCL should be aware that if this is someone’s first experience, they might be completely turned off.

 

So...As I plan to enjoy the last 6 days on this ship...I plead to RCCL....send an Undercover Boss to this ship & determine if you’re comfortable with this particular representation of your product!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on in November and have a other booked next week. Yes the internet is awful, yes the ship is tired, and yes the current Cruise Director isn't great (he's the only one I actually dislike). At least 2/3 of those will be fixed in the refurb in March. Royal basically tried to squeeze 1 more season out of her from Miami. We had no issues with the MDR though, and our stateroom attendant was good.  Don't get me started on the ice show during the day only with attendance by muster station....stupidest thing ever.

 

It happens, but she won't be terrible forever. I'm prepped for next week thankfully, but I feel for the folks who aren't. Thanks for the update!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SamTimeDining said:

 

The Captain

Thank you very much. I want to know which Captain! We travel soon on her as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Thank you very much. I want to know which Captain! We travel soon on her as well.

 

You're welcome...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SamTimeDining said:

 

You're welcome...

 

 

Yes, I know that one as well for some years but asked for info from someone currently on board. So if you are not on the ship please stop providing useless replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LadyLion_AP said:

Why I suggest Undercover Boss?

No need for that, RCI knows all of the physical things you pointed out and most will be fixed during dry dock. The subjective things, like food, crew attitude, can happen on any sailing/ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Explorer isn't my favorite ship, but to other long time cruisers it is.  

 

I don't ever know who the captain or cruise director is.  The CD can make a good cruise great for sure.  I've been on cruises where I have never met my steward but he/she did an adequate job.  The only weird steward thing that ever happened to me is after I asked her to separate the beds on the first day.  She really did ask why my sis couldn't just sleep on the sofa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The explorer was very much liked when it sailed out of Bayonne.   The crew was mostly top notch.  But that was many a years ago now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

No need for that, RCI knows all of the physical things you pointed out and most will be fixed during dry dock. The subjective things, like food, crew attitude, can happen on any sailing/ship.

Thanks. & To all others who chimed in. I’m heading out now and just heard our CD on the intercom. It’s Mike 😊

Yes...These things are subjective. I certainly agree with that and they are a things! I guess I’ve been super fortunate in my cruises (14 in 7 years) that I’ve never experienced this. I guess if they are aware they have a tired old ship they should ensure they step up the service so that the costumers’ experience is top notch. This way anyone new to the brand will know you offer a good product! (Especially during a season with premium pricing). Just saying. 😊

 

Have a blessed day everyone. I’ll continue to make the best of each one of my days on this little engine that could. 😝🥰

Edited by LadyLion_AP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did the 9 night sailing on 12/13 and basically agree with your comments. I still shudder at the thought of the Windjammer food. 

 

For what it's worth, we were on one of the last sailings before the 2015 drydock when it did the season out of Port Canaveral and loved the ship. 

 

We had a great cruise aside from the ship experience- enjoy Bonaire! Like I said when we were onboard, I was perfectly happy as long as I had some drinks and sunshine to lay out in while on the ship :). 

Edited by kruzerci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LadyLion_AP said:

Current on Day 3 of our 9-night NYE sailing on Explorer of the Seas.

 

A little background: My family travels in 3 generations at/near Xmas every year beginning a little over a decade ago (as hubby was deployed to Germany for 2 years & we spent Xmas overseas). We alternate cruise & land vacations each year. 

 

This is our 3rd Xmas cruise with RCCL but have cruised with RCCL multiple times & on most classes of ships.

 

Why I suggest Undercover Boss?

I read the not so great reviews ahead of time so came prepared. I’ll preface my noticings with the fact that we ARE having a great vacation because we’ll be certain to. We work very hard, have invested in a lot of extras to make our vacay even nicer, and we enjoy spending time together...and we LOVE the Ocean!!!!

 

The ugly:

- The ship is not in the best shape. One  example....There are actually windows TAPED shut. (Easy to get past but it definitely doesn’t represent the product well. I’d be embarrassed if I was in charge here!)

-  Overall worst service we’ve experienced on any ship & any cruise line. Yes. Some employees are spectacular but too many are not!

- Worst dining experiences in any venue....by far! We’ve eaten in the MDR, Chops, Giovanni’s, & Johnny Rockets thus far. Giovanni’s has had the best service so far but the food is not comparable to Giovanni’s on other ships. All family members have this opinion.

- My husband still hasn’t met our room steward.

- None of us can tell you the cruise director. Granted we haven’t gone to most shows but that’s typical for us on ships other than Oasis or Quantum class. We have usually seen and/or met the cruise director multiple times by now.

- All of the “little things” are missing: Invitations/Reminders for specialty diners in the stateroom (good thing I wrote them down as my Reservations aren’t accurate on the TV), greetings from the staff, periodic check-ins from the room steward, etc.

- Internet is the worst! We use it mostly to text but hubby does have to work at least one day this cruise. What’s funny is I thought I lost this post to spotty internet twice. Would be surprised if there ends up being duplicate posts!

 

These things probably sound minor as you read it but experiencing it is interesting to say the least. Hubby & I both said today....Had this been our 1st RCCL Cruise, it would certainly be our last. As a reference point....Our two Carnival cruises years ago far surpassed this cruise in quality of product! RCCL should be aware that if this is someone’s first experience, they might be completely turned off.

 

So...As I plan to enjoy the last 6 days on this ship...I plead to RCCL....send an Undercover Boss to this ship & determine if you’re comfortable with this particular representation of your product!

 

We were on Explorer in October and I agree with most of your observations.

Giovanni's in particular is usually our favourite restaurant but we would not recommend this one.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise and wish you a happy New Year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was on Explorer very recently. Seemed to me the bars and lounges were understaffed. The hard working server would take several orders and then have to go back behind the bar to make the drinks up themselves. This meant having to wait a long time to get served at a table. Not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, eastender said:

Was on Explorer very recently. Seemed to me the bars and lounges were understaffed. The hard working server would take several orders and then have to go back behind the bar to make the drinks up themselves. This meant having to wait a long time to get served at a table. Not good.

Noticing the same thing! Today has been a little bit better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LadyLion_AP said:

Current on Day 3 of our 9-night NYE sailing on Explorer of the Seas.

 

A little background: My family travels in 3 generations at/near Xmas every year beginning a little over a decade ago (as hubby was deployed to Germany for 2 years & we spent Xmas overseas). We alternate cruise & land vacations each year. 

 

This is our 3rd Xmas cruise with RCCL but have cruised with RCCL multiple times & on most classes of ships.

 

Why I suggest Undercover Boss?

I read the not so great reviews ahead of time so came prepared. I’ll preface my noticings with the fact that we ARE having a great vacation because we’ll be certain to. We work very hard, have invested in a lot of extras to make our vacay even nicer, and we enjoy spending time together...and we LOVE the Ocean!!!!

 

The ugly:

- The ship is not in the best shape. One  example....There are actually windows TAPED shut. (Easy to get past but it definitely doesn’t represent the product well. I’d be embarrassed if I was in charge here!)

-  Overall worst service we’ve experienced on any ship & any cruise line. Yes. Some employees are spectacular but too many are not!

- Worst dining experiences in any venue....by far! We’ve eaten in the MDR, Chops, Giovanni’s, & Johnny Rockets thus far. Giovanni’s has had the best service so far but the food is not comparable to Giovanni’s on other ships. All family members have this opinion.

- My husband still hasn’t met our room steward.

- None of us can tell you the cruise director. Granted we haven’t gone to most shows but that’s typical for us on ships other than Oasis or Quantum class. We have usually seen and/or met the cruise director multiple times by now.

- All of the “little things” are missing: Invitations/Reminders for specialty diners in the stateroom (good thing I wrote them down as my Reservations aren’t accurate on the TV), greetings from the staff, periodic check-ins from the room steward, etc.

- Internet is the worst! We use it mostly to text but hubby does have to work at least one day this cruise. What’s funny is I thought I lost this post to spotty internet twice. Would be surprised if there ends up being duplicate posts!

 

These things probably sound minor as you read it but experiencing it is interesting to say the least. Hubby & I both said today....Had this been our 1st RCCL Cruise, it would certainly be our last. As a reference point....Our two Carnival cruises years ago far surpassed this cruise in quality of product! RCCL should be aware that if this is someone’s first experience, they might be completely turned off.

 

So...As I plan to enjoy the last 6 days on this ship...I plead to RCCL....send an Undercover Boss to this ship & determine if you’re comfortable with this particular representation of your product!

 

giovanni's has the best staff..we were on the sailing before you..say hi to Luzy and rosemarie-servers and shein, manager in giovanni..from Barry/Anneliese Organ....they always had a smile and greeted us..we liked the filet mignon best...better than chops-worst service there...enjoy the rest of your cruise 

Edited by sisocialworker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sisocialworker said:

giovanni's has the best staff..we were on the sailing before you..say hi to Luzy and rosemarie-servers and shein, manager in giovanni..from Barry/Anneliese Organ....they always had a smile and greeted us..we liked the filet mignon best...better than chops-worst service there...enjoy the rest of your cruise 

Thanks. Will do! Currently losing at Harry Potter trivia...was sure we’d win! 😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LadyLion_AP said:

Thanks. Will do! Currently losing at Harry Potter trivia...was sure we’d win! 😝

I agree with your review...I did a live posting in CC for our sailing 12/13.....good luck...I even spoke with the loyalty ambassador on the ship..she seemed disinterested and I never received a call from anyone , the hotel director, manager at chops, Izumi....the worst service ever,concierge...and we were in a suite too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on in March and loved it. Every crew member we had anything to do with were second to none, but there have obviously been crew changes since then. We had Clo O'Connor as the CD and she was brilliant as were all the entertainment staff. Jorge was the suite concierge and also went out of his way for everyone he had anything to do with. The food in the Windjammer we had nothing to complain about at all. We actually liked Giovannis way more than Chops. Sounds like there has been a massive crew change since we were on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dinner at IZUMI tonight was great! @sisocialworker maybe they heard you! It’s unfortunate you didn’t feel heard while sailing! @ShazM we also preferred Giovanni’s over Chops. It just wasn’t the standard we’ve become accustomed to on other ships. ☹️

Edited by LadyLion_AP
Edited to say...We actually changed an upcoming Chops reservation to Izumi after dinner tonight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LadyLion_AP said:

Dinner at IZUMI tonight was great! @sisocialworker maybe they heard you! It’s unfortunate you didn’t feel heard while sailing! @ShazM we also preferred Giovanni’s over Chops. It just wasn’t the standard we’ve become accustomed to on other ships. ☹️

the food/fish was great, very fresh...the service poor and took a long time to get our food...glad they heard me..enjoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was on her in November and loved it.  Everything but our cabin steward - she wasn't the best.  But the rest of the crew and staff were crazy good.  Food was superb.  

People evaluate differently and look for different things.  But for us, she was very good and I guess will get even better after dry dock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...