Norovirus on Ncl Bliss ?

cementhands

Going on the Bliss in February and we’ve been seeing Facebook post recently about buffet service by staff only. Many think this translates to a norovirus outbreak. Anyone currently onboard the Bliss know for sure?
We’ve been on other cruises that removed the salt and pepper shakers from MDR. That and crew cleaning more than ever seemed to be tell tale signs. I remember many more washy washy crew with the hand sanitizer that same cruise.
Just concerned about this because of wife’s compromised immune system she’s very careful avoiding hot tub and pool.

I've heard it was more flu like symptoms than noro, and I also heard from someone on board that they stopped having the staff serve, so I guess it's blown over a bit. Right now the flu symptoms are skyrocketing all over the country, so that's not a surprse. Hopefully by February, the flu will die down a bit. 

11 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

I wish the crew would do the buffet service all the time. It seems like it would prevent noro outbreaks. Or at least have someone preventing people from refilling personal bottles at the drink stations.

Or just make some dang water bottle refill stations like the airport where the size accommodates a tall bottle without touching anything!!  Using the tiny cups from the buffet area to refill a 32 oz water bottle is not good for anyone.    /end rant

3 minutes ago, Megalyn said:

Or just make some dang water bottle refill stations like the airport where the size accommodates a tall bottle without touching anything!!  Using the tiny cups from the buffet area to refill a 32 oz water bottle is not good for anyone.    /end rant

Amen! Instead of trying to rid ship of Noro why not prevent it.

5 hours ago, cementhands said:

Going on the Bliss in February and we’ve been seeing Facebook post recently about buffet service by staff only. Many think this translates to a norovirus outbreak. Anyone currently onboard the Bliss know for sure?
We’ve been on other cruises that removed the salt and pepper shakers from MDR. That and crew cleaning more than ever seemed to be tell tale signs. I remember many more washy washy crew with the hand sanitizer that same cruise.
Just concerned about this because of wife’s compromised immune system she’s very careful avoiding hot tub and pool.

There was an outbreak of the flu or similar upper respiratory illness last week. The ship’s departure this week was delayed for additional cleaning between cruises. 

• Like 1

People onboard now are stating it was a flu outbreak. Even some performers were sick. These things happen with all the different people coming onboard.
Fill a clean cup with ice and water then pour into your drink bottles

. Washing hands constantly. Avoid touching your face with hands. Drink water to flush out the toxins. Avoid hot tub.7CF34CAC-3B01-41C3-8DB8-6000BE18AB37.thumb.png.e58d747a4d55bb4d52538029b0e270c5.png

2 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

I wish the crew would do the buffet service all the time. It seems like it would prevent noro outbreaks. Or at least have someone preventing people from refilling personal bottles at the drink stations.

It would not prevent noro. Many more people touch elevator buttons, railing, chair arm rest, condiments in all restaurants, menus. The most germ ridden thing in any room is the TV remote. 

On 12/31/2019 at 1:20 PM, MoniMommy said:

Yes, but I dont eat after touching those things. In the buffet even if you wash your hands just before entering, you have ty o touch utensils that have been touched by others who may not have washed.

doesnt matter if they washed. they still sample food while in line, pick their nose or come out of the buffet bathroom while not washing the hands. u just have to assume every single surface is a mine field and you will be safe...maybe....then they touch the tables and plates that may have been touched and returned to position. 

thats being said, i was in the buffet last week at least 4x and didnt get sick. we should be given tasers so when we see people in the bathroom leave without washing we can tase them. i always wanted to ask them, do  YOU care if i dont wash my hands then touch you?

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 12:25 PM, MoniMommy said:

Unfortunately, many passengers refil at the buffet which is not sanitary. They put their bottle directly under the drink dispenser.

This practice amuses me... these folks must think the tap water from there is “cleaner” than the tap water in their cabin...AFAIK, it is all the same...

48 minutes ago, bob brown said:

This practice amuses me... these folks must think the tap water from there is “cleaner” than the tap water in their cabin...AFAIK, it is all the same...

My understanding is it's filtered in the restaurant, hence no chlorine taste.

57 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

It absolutely tastes better at the buffet. Just to brush teeth on The Escape, we used our free bottle of water. We learned on the very first day that the cabin water is nasty! I always pack a big 40oz hydroflask myself, but honestly I find it easiest if I ask a bartender to fill it. I just have to hold the lid and the straw. That way I'm not clogging up the beverage station in the buffet. I do wish they had those nice water fountains with bottle fillers. Now that would be awesome! 

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

2 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

It absolutely tastes better at the buffet. Just to brush teeth on The Escape, we used our free bottle of water. We learned on the very first day that the cabin water is nasty! I always pack a big 40oz hydroflask myself, but honestly I find it easiest if I ask a bartender to fill it. I just have to hold the lid and the straw. That way I'm not clogging up the beverage station in the buffet. I do wish they had those nice water fountains with bottle fillers. Now that would be awesome! 

I was not aware of that...I’ll confirm it with the Chief Engineer when I am on the Gem next week...