Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BillHana

Naughty Room questions

Recommended Posts

How to know if a checked bag gets sent to the naughty room?

Do you get notified or just know when the bag never shows up? How long to wait before investigating?

If it happens how long does it take to retrieve the bag (minus any prohibited items).

Where is the naughty room?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They always call me at dinner.  I don't go and they are moved to the purser's office to be claimed.  Long...funny story....with an old purser we knew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BillHana said:

How to know if a checked bag gets sent to the naughty room?

Do you get notified or just know when the bag never shows up? How long to wait before investigating?

If it happens how long does it take to retrieve the bag (minus any prohibited items).

Where is the naughty room?

It is on a low deck usually 2.

Once 1 of our cases ended up there and at 5pm our Cabin Steward suggested to go down there as this case had not arrived yet to our cabin.

There was lots of cases down there with security searching cases with passengers.

There was a queue of people but they let us search and found our case.

We opened our case with security and they thought we had a travel iron but it was a compact man's umbrella and they let us take our case away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your suitcase does not arrive, after everyone else’s,  it’s a good chance that it’s in the security area. 
 

I’ve been called to security (where the suitcases are held ) several times to open the case. Usually it was because we had a couple of bottles of water in the suitcase. Now we don’t bother bringing water. Once we were called down for a bottle of wine, but explained it was one of our two and they gave it to us.

 

However, if you want to have a couple of good laughs head down there just after sail away watch people’s reactions,  watch the way they packed  and watch what happens when security finds something  prohibited in the suitcase.  In almost every case,  the suitcase owner declares that someone else packed   the bag!

 

Once the suitcase is released, they let you take it back to your cabin

m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once had my bag not show up (wife's bag did) and the room attendant said it could be another couple hours, but he would "check" for me.  Later I found a tag in the door lock saying "your bag has been held for additional screening" and I thought it said I needed to go somewhere - but before I got around to figuring that out the room attendant told me the bag was in the room now...  No clue and nothing naughty in my bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

However, if you want to have a couple of good laughs head down there just after sail away watch people’s reactions,  watch the way they packed  and watch what happens when security finds something  prohibited in the suitcase.  In almost every case,  the suitcase owner declares that someone else packed   the bag!

 

If you ever watch the show Border Patrol, there is always some guy who gets caught bringing in non-packaged food and ultimately blames his Auntie or Mom for packing his suit case. Makes me chuckle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

However, if you want to have a couple of good laughs head down there just after sail away watch people’s reactions,  watch the way they packed  and watch what happens when security finds something  prohibited in the suitcase.  In almost every case,  the suitcase owner declares that someone else packed the bag!

If the ship has already left they’re clearly not going to kick people off for booze or an iron or something. Why must people feel like they have to lie? Who lets someone else pack their suitcase? That’s part of the excitement leading up to a trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We didn't receive one piece of our luggage on a recent TA from Barcelona, so I walked down to the "naughty" room.  They had two sections, one for bottles, and the other for knives, irons, and the like.   

 

I opened my case and showed them my wife's 64oz bottle of diet cranberry juice.  They looked at it and let me go.  Evidently they were looking for bottles of booze as the bag had a "bottle" tag on it.  Some folks just had wine and they  let them go.🍷 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By being let go, were you let go with the non alcoholic beverage or was it confiscated? I assume that alcohol, irons, etc would be confiscated and you would be allowed to leave with ty our baggage. Is that the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was many moons ago (6 years), but on our first cruise, we had a bag taken to the naughty room.  At that time, our cabin attendant told us it was down there.  We waited until after sailaway to go get it.  Absolutely no line.  Once I showed the bottles of Pepsi I had, they let me take the luggage (and Pepsi) back to the room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoniMommy said:

By being let go, were you let go with the non alcoholic beverage or was it confiscated? I assume that alcohol, irons, etc would be confiscated and you would be allowed to leave with ty our baggage. Is that the case?

The wine was let go without confiscation as was the non alcoholic beverages.  They were looking for bottles of booze. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never happened to me, but I did hear a room attendant telling someone shortly after sailaway to head down for their bags. I also saw a stream of people coming out of the elevators with suitcases.

 

 Though, I think if you don't claim your bag within 15 minutes of sailaway, they throw it overboard. Or is that the New Years alcohol speaking... 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 years ago on harmony of the seas. Recieved a notice in the room. Our suitcase was locked, and security wanted in. 

It was our lock a bye beach bag. Metal cable handle, steel mesh lining. 

Hubby went and claimed it. We now carry on our locking beach bag. They always take a good look at it coming thru security. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

If your suitcase does not arrive, after everyone else’s,  it’s a good chance that it’s in the security area. 
 

I’ve been called to security (where the suitcases are held ) several times to open the case. Usually it was because we had a couple of bottles of water in the suitcase. Now we don’t bother bringing water. Once we were called down for a bottle of wine, but explained it was one of our two and they gave it to us.

 

However, if you want to have a couple of good laughs head down there just after sail away watch people’s reactions,  watch the way they packed  and watch what happens when security finds something  prohibited in the suitcase.  In almost every case,  the suitcase owner declares that someone else packed   the bag!

 

Once the suitcase is released, they let you take it back to your cabin

m

Did you also bring wine onboard in your carryon?

 

Asking for a friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We once brought a steamer along in error.  Our suitcase was by the CS area- nobody called us- we just went down to locate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Happy new year Pat and Bucky too.

 

Happy New Year to you and Pauline as well my DS friend!  🥂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Did you also bring wine onboard in your carryon?

 

Asking for a friend. 

Can’t remember. 
 

m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had 4 1.75 liter jugs in various configurations....I think that's why we were found!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when got off the independence a few weeks ago they had a table set up with all the confiscated stuff to be picked up.

I was impressed at the amount of stuff they had confiscated.

So many irons and clothes steamers, a batter backup power strip (no idea why need a battery backup one), funniest thing on the tables was a rice cooker, never thought anyone would bring a small cooking appliance on a cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2019 at 4:33 PM, grapau27 said:

It is on a low deck usually 2.

Once 1 of our cases ended up there and at 5pm our Cabin Steward suggested to go down there as this case had not arrived yet to our cabin.

There was lots of cases down there with security searching cases with passengers.

There was a queue of people but they let us search and found our case.

We opened our case with security and they thought we had a travel iron but it was a compact man's umbrella and they let us take our case away.

Here's a shot of the naughty area on Serenade which was on deck 2 at the front staircase/elevator open area. This was  about six years ago. Our friends put two large bottles of soda in their checked bag and got busted for it. I went down with the DH for the experience. He was allowed to bring back the soda to their cabin.

I warned him not to put those bottles in their checked bag but did it anyway.

 

 

 

P1110426.JPG

 

Edited by robtulipe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One year we put wine in checked bag instead of carry on when we packed it at hotel.  When my case didnt arrive by dinner I went to customer service and had to go in open bag and show it was just wine.

Another time my DH had a medicine case with extra meds and they wanted that opened to make sure it wasnt alcohol they said.  Wierd they asked but safety first. Glad they check cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny story.  We were cruising with our folks and I reminded my MIL not to forget her 2 bottles of wine.  They normally don’t bring any along because they go to happy hour in the DL and take a glass to dinner.  Unbeknownst to me she brought 2 jugs of red wine.  She had them in her carry on and they looked in and let her pass.  That night at dinner she walked in an plunked a jug of wine in middle of the table.  They are 92 and 86 years old, I guess the security felt like it wouldn’t do any harm to let them keep them.🤷🏼‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got called down one time...with absolutely no idea why they pulled my bag.  It was wire hangers, the cheap freebie kind you get from the cleaners!  😮  I take along extras, not wanting to wait to find our cabin attendant when I don't have enough to hang my stuff right away. 

 

As soon as they showed me the Xray...and was most obvious they were hangers...they immediately blamed the security on shore as being overly zealous.  They let me take the bag unopened.  

 

Yes...wire hangers are allowed...but from then on, I bring plastic hangers!  ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...