Cruise Critic Community
MastiffMom

2021 Southern Caribbean Cruise

Hello! 👋  I’m certain this group will be able to assist me with my questions and I thank you in advance for any input and suggestions.  I took the DH on a cruise in 2017 on the Oasis. We had a wonderful time, but I think the ship was “too big” for him.  Back in April my bestie and I went on the Indy.  I think the hubby would enjoy this ship class much better.  I am going to book us a cruise for our anniversary.  I tried to book the Freedom with an itinerary going to Antigua and St. Lucia for April of 2021 but the rooms on the very back of the ship (on Deck 10) were already booked.  I guess my first question would be, what are my odds of someone cancelling and me getting one of these rooms?  Would something like that even be possible?  My next question would be if you think RC will extend this itinerary to May of 2021, giving me the chance to book the desired room.

Thanks again!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can try getting on the wait list for a particular stateroom, but I've not heard of that working very reliably.

Just now, MastiffMom said:

Thank you!

Would that be attempted with a TA or directly with RC?

Either, whoever you have booked (or choose to book) your cruise with.

I can't answer your questions --  but Welcome to Cruise Critic!  We loved Freedom.  Where ever your cabin ends up, you're sure to have a wonderful anniversary cruise.

Many of the aft balconies require a third person to book. Try doing a fake booking with three people and see if any off those cabins open up. I have booked aft cabins with 3 people and then just did a no show at the pier. 

17 hours ago, MastiffMom said:

My next question would be if you think RC will extend this itinerary to May of 2021, giving me the chance to book the desired room.

Thanks again!

Freedom sailings for May 2021 are already available to book - but the ship will be doing cruises from New Jersey from May through October 2021, returning to sail from San Juan in November 2021. 

17 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can try getting on the wait list for a particular stateroom, but I've not heard of that working very reliably.

Worked for me once...total shock!  But not this last time (no call from RCI)..luckily I found the cabin suddenly available that I was trying to book (to keep from moving on a B2B) online before someone grabbed it.  Have been checking daily to try to "tidy up" my B2Bs.  

58 minutes ago, Ren1216 said:

I can't answer your questions --  but Welcome to Cruise Critic!  We loved Freedom.  Where ever your cabin ends up, you're sure to have a wonderful anniversary cruise.

Thank you, I’ve learned a lot here.  Do you know if there is much difference between the ships in this class?  The Independence was great!

59 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

Many of the aft balconies require a third person to book. Try doing a fake booking with three people and see if any off those cabins open up. I have booked aft cabins with 3 people and then just did a no show at the pier. 

Thank you for the tip.  I was unaware of this.

42 minutes ago, MastiffMom said:

Thank you for the tip.  I was unaware of this.

Yes, always check. Some ship sailings require 3 in a 3-4 passenger cabin the whole time from release until sailing, others closer to sailing will allow 1-2 in cabin, and some you can book with less passengers from day one

19 hours ago, MastiffMom said:

Hello! 👋  I’m certain this group will be able to assist me with my questions and I thank you in advance for any input and suggestions.  I took the DH on a cruise in 2017 on the Oasis. We had a wonderful time, but I think the ship was “too big” for him.  Back in April my bestie and I went on the Indy.  I think the hubby would enjoy this ship class much better.  I am going to book us a cruise for our anniversary.  I tried to book the Freedom with an itinerary going to Antigua and St. Lucia for April of 2021 but the rooms on the very back of the ship (on Deck 10) were already booked.  I guess my first question would be, what are my odds of someone cancelling and me getting one of these rooms?  Would something like that even be possible?  My next question would be if you think RC will extend this itinerary to May of 2021, giving me the chance to book the desired room.

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

@MastiffMom

ATC cruiser hit on the right answer.  I just did a mock booking for two adults and two children, and found several aft cabins available.  I doubt that they are going to relent and let you book them, though, because these are particularly desirable cabins.

Just book a different cabin and enjoy that great itinerary for your anniversary.

There are other ships that sail to those ports.  If you really want to try the "small ship experience", look at Enchantment for April 3.

Posted (edited)

Small ship Vision is doing southern Carib out of Ft. Lauderdale early 2021.  I am doing that ship next month, but it sails from SJ this year.  

Edited by island lady

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MastiffMom said:

Do you know if there is much difference between the ships in this class?  The Independence was great!

We've been on Freedom and Independence, had excellent experiences on both.  Think we liked Indy just a tad more but I can't tell you why now.  Probably not because of anything ship related, more likely just a better overall experience or enjoyed the ports more.  Who knows.   That said, it's been a few years since those sailings, I suggest checking recent reviews for more current feedback.  But generally speaking, my memory has them being very similar.

Edited by Ren1216