Immigration Formalities in Los Angeles

Barry H

People on the Feb 1 and Feb 29 cruises on the Emerald Princess are receiving notifications of delayed boarding due to additional Immigration formalities (see below).

This is both ends of the 28 day Hawaii Samoa and Tahiti cruise.

Does anyone have any explanation?

Last time into LA it was after a South American cruise and getting through CBP was a nightmare with too few officers for all the passengers. Many missed their flights.

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Please be advised that check-in for your upcoming Emerald Princess cruise will now begin at 1:30 PM. Please do not arrive at the terminal prior to 1:30 PM as additional immigration formalities will be taking place upon the ship's arrival. Embarkation cannot begin until these formalities are complete.

I agree that it sounds like a full crew inspection for proper documents which is done periodically.   

February 1 is a 28 day cruise to HI, Tahiti and Samoa returning to San Pedro on 2/29.   On February 1 the Emerald will be completing a through canal voyage from Port Everglades.  

Hmmm, now I’m wondering about disembarking in LA.  Our usual, including in LA, has been to self-carry off our luggage in the first group.... off the ship by 8:00, through customs, grab a taxi, and be at the airport by 9:00.  I’m getting the feeling this may no longer work?  On top of that, the airline just notified us our flight out of LA has been moved up earlier to 10:30 (yikes).   I’m thinking these CBP delays and the involuntary earlier flight change might necessitate changing to a later flight?  

1 hour ago, cruisinsoooon said:

Hmmm, now I’m wondering about disembarking in LA.  Our usual, including in LA, has been to self-carry off our luggage in the first group.... off the ship by 8:00, through customs, grab a taxi, and be at the airport by 9:00.  I’m getting the feeling this may no longer work?  On top of that, the airline just notified us our flight out of LA has been moved up earlier to 10:30 (yikes).   I’m thinking these CBP delays and the involuntary earlier flight change might necessitate changing to a later flight?  

Has anyone experienced delayed disembarkation in San Pedro recently?

It seems like delayed disembarkation is a permanent change for Emerald Princess in the LA, San Pedro Terminal. I see Princess Posting and believe it, but, I always want to know the situation. I know that there are limited immigration officer stations. Are there fewer officers available? Have some been transferred to the Mexico border?

We have a 1:30 flight booked through EZ Air and Princess shuttle so they will get us rebooked.

For those with early flights, hope the disembarkation goes smoothly.

10 minutes ago, Barry H said:

It seems like delayed disembarkation is a permanent change for Emerald Princess in the LA, San Pedro Terminal. I see Princess Posting and believe it, but, I always want to know the situation. I know that there are limited immigration officer stations. Are there fewer officers available? Have some been transferred to the Mexico border?

We have a 1:30 flight booked through EZ Air and Princess shuttle so they will get us rebooked.

I’m with you.....  I read all of the Princess postings, but I always want to know the situation, what people are really experiencing.  

10 hours ago, Barry H said:

Boarding did not begin until 3 pm for our cruise from San Pedro on Dec 3.  We had no advance notification and 3000 were sitting/standing at the terminal for hours until they could get the ship cleared.  It was a nightmare.  

We have arrived at various US ports after cruises that have arrived from far overseas ports and, more than once, have been waiting for a LONG time before getting cleared.

Going into Fort Lauderdale not so long ago doing a B2B it was well after Noon before I was cleared through and after 1pm before my wife was.

We were well rewarded by Princess, a drink up to the value $12.50!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the Scouts say "Be Prepared", the above could happen to you in any American port.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisinsoooon said:

Would recommend that you change your flight  in light of what is happening at the port 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:07 AM, serenity27 said:

We just returned yesterday in San Pedro on the Emerald and disembarkation was delayed 1-2 hours for everyone. 

This is a new twist.  It sounds like maybe the issue isn't  slow CBP  processing of pax, but for some reason the start of disembarkation is being delayed.  

I wish there was more communication by Princess on why this delayed disembarkation is happening, and if this is the “new normal”.  The only thing I can find in my Princess documents is the statement that departing flights should not be scheduled prior to 12:30.  Even that can be cutting it close with 1-2 hour delays disembarking, especially considering the ride to LAX.  

Were taxis readily available at the port when you disembarked?  

1 hour ago, cruisinsoooon said:

I wish there was more communication by Princess on why this delayed disembarkation is happening, and if this is the “new normal”.  The only thing I can find in my Princess documents is the statement that departing flights should not be scheduled prior to 12:30.  Even that can be cutting it close with 1-2 hour delays disembarking, especially considering the ride to LAX.  

Were taxis readily available at the port when you disembarked?  

Taxis are readily available at the port.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:07 AM, serenity27 said:

We just returned yesterday in San Pedro on the Emerald and disembarkation was delayed 1-2 hours for everyone. 

That's interesting.  I just disembarked from the same cruise and didn't find that we were delayed at all.

We were given an 8:00 disembarkation time, and at 8:00 on the dot, we were able to disembark. 

I wonder if the fact that we were on a Princess debark tour had anything to do with it, or if a delay happened after that time?

I was on the December 18 cruise on the Emerald from LA that was coming from Ft Lauderdale & the boarding was delayed several hrs do to no emigration people there & they had to clear the ship first. I didn’t get on board until around 2 pm & as Elite I was one of the first to board. 

The captain gave everyone a coupon for a free drink even tho it wasn’t Princess fault. 

I felt sorry for anyone that missed their flight. 

Tom😎

My report is from two months ago, but when we embarked on the Royal Princess on Nov 2, 2019, there was no delay.  We arrived at the terminal building (after parking the car) at 12:30 and immediately were processed and boarded.  [We had done all of the pre-port arrival paperwork for the Medallions and everything went smoothly.]  We were in the Main Dining Room before 1:00 p.m.

We requested a late disembarkation.  On Saturday, Nov 9, we were sitting in the Vista Lounge relaxing until our group was called.  We were off the ship by 9:15 a.m.

There was no delay by Immigration.

I hope you guys get on and off the ship promptly and smoothly!  Bring a book and a good attitude, and remember that it will be a fantastic cruise and that any delays are just an opportunity to meet a few of your fellow passengers!  The vacation will have already started, with you there enjoying it!

15 hours ago, zetaome said:

That's interesting.  I just disembarked from the same cruise and didn't find that we were delayed at all.

We were given an 8:00 disembarkation time, and at 8:00 on the dot, we were able to disembark. 

I wonder if the fact that we were on a Princess debark tour had anything to do with it, or if a delay happened after that time?

Princess disembarkation tours (not transfers) are given priority as they have to get you to the airport by a specific time.

On 1/5/2020 at 6:21 PM, skynight said:

Taxis are readily available at the port.

Does anyone recall how much a taxi is from the San Pedro port to LAX?

We have pre-booked a private car but now I see that they have a $1/minute waiting charge if disembarkation is delayed and I'm thinking we might be better off just grabbing a taxi.

This will be on a Saturday morning.

Thanks all!

On 1/2/2020 at 1:07 PM, Barry H said:

People on the Feb 1 and Feb 29 cruises on the Emerald Princess are receiving notifications of delayed boarding due to additional Immigration formalities (see below).

This is both ends of the 28 day Hawaii Samoa and Tahiti cruise.

Does anyone have any explanation?

Last time into LA it was after a South American cruise and getting through CBP was a nightmare with too few officers for all the passengers. Many missed their flights.

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Please be advised that check-in for your upcoming Emerald Princess cruise will now begin at 1:30 PM. Please do not arrive at the terminal prior to 1:30 PM as additional immigration formalities will be taking place upon the ship's arrival. Embarkation cannot begin until these formalities are complete.

we were on the emerald dec. 3  cruise from LA to Ft. L thru the canal.  When we got to the ship in LA there was a huge line until about 2 or 3 PM. No  one had boarded yet.  Princess did not put people out to inform us of anything.  Someone went up front and initially learned it was a customs thing.  Then we heard an immigration thing.  Whatever, I wrote about it to Princess and said they should inform us what is happening.  We stood out in the sun for the afternoon.  UGH

I'm on the Emerald Jan 17 out of Ft Lauderdale, and we received the same email about the immigration formalities.....

So not a San Pedro thing.  Maybe an Emerald thing.  Or maybe they don't want me to eat in the dining room on embarkation day.