Live: Iberian Explorer Jan 3 - 10

Peregrina651

On 1/12/2020 at 11:58 AM, Mullet62 said:

Wife and I are considering this itinerary in January, 2021 for our 50th. Would like to hear comments from folks just completing the trip on Viking Star. Sailed on Star before so familiar with the ship and service. Specifically, interested in where ship docked in ports, comments on shore excursions. Did any ports have shuttles. Best things to do in Portsmouth, recommended hotel extensions in London and transfer to Heathrow. Did anyone stay in London longer than 3 days and if anyone used a rental car would like to know the procedure. Can email mulletmasters@aol.com. Many Thanks!

Iberian Explorer is primarily a repositioning cruise. Of the 4 ports of call, 3 are only 6 hours and the 4th is 11hours.  That is not typical of Viking, which is normally port intensive.  Personally, this is not one that I would recommend to anyone as their first Viking experience simply because it is atypical. 

For us it was perfect; we wanted something relaxing, with a good mix of port exploring and at sea time.  

Cartagena -- no shuttle, everything is close by

Malaga -- shuttle to front gate of the port with much to see within walking distance

Vigo - we did a paid tour but I posted all of the dailies, and it will say if there was one

Portsmouth-- shuttle with two stops.  

On 1/13/2020 at 5:18 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Cartagena -- no shuttle, everything is close by

image.png.27288d94a9aa75ebe18e877a3efb33e8.png

Here is the Viking Star docked in Cartagena. The photo was taken from nearby the Roman Theater. I penciled in a green arrow showing the walking route off the dock and into town.

image.thumb.png.fa3ec0efb97f66837c0918f41e18f820.png

Between the dock and town follow the green line; yes the line runs off the page but in a few more feet, you will see where you have to turn right to get into town --and the Museum which is the entrance to the threater.  Do not use the stairs market by the green X -- besides the fact that you have to climb the stairs, it is just harder to find the entrance to the Roman Theater  if you go this way.

• Like 1