Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

On 2/18/2020 at 9:32 PM, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hi Kathi!

Sorry I had not been on the boards for a few days and just now got caught up on your journeys. Our little grand puppy has been sick for a couple of days and she is the love of our lives and it has been hard. Hoping she makes a full recovery.

Denise😊

Hope your grand puppy is doing better!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Hope your grand puppy is doing better!

Thank you Kathi!

Yes! The Vet gave her meds did a lot of blood work. She’s very healthy and this was sudden.  Colitis. The medication is helping now! Grandpa took watch last night and I slept finally.Hope the eye of the storm is over!

So wish I was on board your cruise!

Your kind Kathi, appreciate your response.

Denise😊

• Like 1

February 20, 2020

At Sea

Rich (Judy [Lee]’s husband) helped me wind yarn during Sit and Stitch.  At 11:15 I took my fourth finished Linus blanket to turn in and got some yarn to start #5.  There is not much yarn left so I am going to make another “Stashbuster” blanket with many different colors.

All of us were present for morning trivia.  We had 10 out of 15 but two teams tied at 12.

1.What is the most popular day for eating ice cream?

2.What country’s highest award is the “Order of the Elephant”?

3.How old was J.K. Rowling when she published her first Harry Potter book – 33, 31, or 29?

4.What 1987 Paul Simon album won a Grammy for Album of the Year?

5.What is “olfactophobia” a fear of?

I sorted out my yarn and started my new Linus blanket before lunch.  In Arts & Crafts we made a freshwater pearl necklace.  We will make the earrings to match tomorrow.

I worked some more on my Linus blanket before heading to the Crow’s Nest for afternoon trivia.  We had 12 out of 17 but the winners had 16.

1.Which child star almost stole Judy Garland’s role in The Wizard of Oz?

2.Which continent has the most people per square mile?

3.Who wrote Sons and Lovers?

4.What rock makes the cheapest, softest form of sandpaper?

5.What is the second longest river in Africa?

6.What sport used the term “home run” long before baseball?

I headed to the pool and swam for an hour.  We had quite a downpour just as I was finishing my swim.

The latest scuttlebutt continues to deal with the coronavirus.  Evidently, cruises to Asia are being cancelled and people are wondering if we will have to skip any of our Asian ports and if so, would we add ports.

Tonight was a Gala Night with a “Joie de Vivre” theme.  The description said, “A gala night to cheerfully enjoy life as the French do, en-route to French Polynesia.”

I did not go to the show.  It was the singers and dancers performing “Atlantic Crossing” which I have seen.

We gain another hour tonight.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Morning trivia

1.Sunday

2.Denmark

4.Graceland

5.smells (or odors)

Afternoon trivia

1.Shirley Temple

2.Europe

3.D.H. Lawrence

4.flint

5.Congo

6.cricket

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 1

Hi Kathi!

Awesome on another completion of your Linus blanket👍 Stashbuster blanket reminds me when my mom would give me all the left over yarns and help me make a blanket! That just brought back good memories thanks Kathi.

Wow I wonder what they will do with Asia now for all of you. I hope they will come up with some good ports and interests for all on board.Just be glad you are no where near the areas.

Denise😊

• Like 1

9 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Hi Kathy,

Did I miss your day at Pitcairn Island?

We enjoyed Hamisch last year on the N Statendam.  Understand he is the last pure cruise director left in the fleet with the realignment of positions.

Pitcairn was on the 19th.  Captain Mercer and a few of the officers were able to go to the island and he has some great pictures in his blog. http://captainjonathan.com/pitcairn-island-3/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

Westerdam's Asian itineraries through March and April have been cancelled.  Have not yet heard of the substitute plans.

13 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hi Kathi!

Awesome on another completion of your Linus blanket👍 Stashbuster blanket reminds me when my mom would give me all the left over yarns and help me make a blanket! That just brought back good memories thanks Kathi.

Wow I wonder what they will do with Asia now for all of you. I hope they will come up with some good ports and interests for all on board.Just be glad you are no where near the areas.

Denise😊

Personally, I am hoping for some more Australian and African ports if we end up not going anywhere near Asia.  I am sure the powers-that-be in Seattle are putting in some extra hours figuring things out.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

Pitcairn was on the 19th.  Captain Mercer and a few of the officers were able to go to the island and he has some great pictures in his blog. http://captainjonathan.com/pitcairn-island-3/

Did you post on Cruise Critic for the 19th or just on the blog.  I find that sometimes Cruise Critic will churn and churn and churn and the post will never actually register.

Roy

8 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Thanks for the link, Kathi.  Those are some wonderful pics 🙂 

8 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Personally, I am hoping for some more Australian and African ports if we end up not going anywhere near Asia.  I am sure the powers-that-be in Seattle are putting in some extra hours figuring things out.

I hope you get your wish 🤞

Congratulations on completing another Linus blanket.  Way to go!!!

Somehow yesterday's post did not make it, so here it is.

February 21, 2020

At Sea

All of us were present for Sit and Stitch.  Sherita and I left at 11:30 to go to trivia.  We had 9 out of 15 but two teams had 10.

1.The movie “Whisky Galore” was based on the 1941 sinking of what ship?

2.Until 1973, Belize was known as what?

3.Which Dutch city is the city of light?

4.Hyperopia is the scientific name for what eye condition?

5.In October of 1582 Pope Gregory XIII introduced which calendar?

6.What British band released the hit single “Unbelievable” in 1990?

My fifth Linus blanket is coming along and I have finished about 25% of it.  Lunch in the Lido and then Arts & Crafts.  We made the earrings to match yesterday’s pearl necklace.  I then had to get ready for dinner because I was eating early at Sherita’s table.

Today’s scuttlebutt is not rumor – it was confirmed by Tomas.  We are getting two new assistant cruise directors tomorrow.  They are Spencer and Andrea.  I have not met anyone who knows them.

Afternoon trivia had us once again getting one off of the winning score (and we even talked about the right answer but ended up choosing the wrong one).  We had 19 out of 20 and the winners had a perfect score.

1.What is the most abundant element in the universe?

2.What was America’s first organized sport (1664)?

3.What is the world’s laziest animal, sleeping up to 22 hours a day?

4.Which Indonesian island ended the 20th century packed with 2326 people per square mile?

5.Who was the father of Cleopatra’s son?

After dinner I had time to post tomorrow’s sail-away thread and then go to the 7:30 show.  It was the second performance by Jesse Kazemek.  I then went to the Crow’s Nest for a game of Taboo.  There were only seven of us so Tomas played on our team.  We won 29 to 23.

I walked back to my cabin on the outside deck on 9 and it was beautiful with a sky full of stars.  I had been planning to stargaze before now but just hadn’t gotten to it so I went to my cabin to get my iPad which has the Star Chart app on it so I could tell what I was looking at.  In the five minutes it took me to go to my cabin and get back up to deck 9, it started raining.  My stargazing will have to wait for another night.

We gain another hour tonight and will then be on Tahitian time.  We will be in Papeete tomorrow.

Morning trivia

1.S.S. Politician

2.British Honduras

3.Eindhoven

4.farsightedness

5.Gregorian

6.EMF

Evening trivia

1.hydrogen

2.horse racing

3.koala

4.Java

5.Julius Caesar

• Like 1

February 22, 2020

Papeete, Tahiti

I awoke just after six as we were pulling up to the dock next to this huge yacht.  Since I was not going anywhere until after nine I went back to sleep.

This was my third time to Papeete and I had taken excursions both times.  My goal for this year was to make it to the market.  Sherita did not have a tour either so we met at 9:15 and headed off the ship.  The market was about a five minute walk.  The market had all kinds of things for sale – meats, fish, fruit, vegetables, flowers, crafts, and souvenirs.  We looked around for about an hour and then found out about a café that had wi-fi.

It was only about 10:15 but we each had a beer and were able to get 30 minutes of internet time.  I was able to download the latest Apple update for my iPad and then started in on getting rid of old e-mails.  We were both hungry so we got another drink (I got a Coke this time round) and ordered burgers and fries – which were delicious.  We also got two coupons for internet time.  By that time Judy (Lee) had come along and sat and had a drink and used her 30 minutes internet time.  A little later Nancy and Cathy (who run Arts & Crafts) came along and did the same thing.

When we left, we walked along some side streets and visited the cathedral before heading back to the ship.  We stopped in the craft stalls that were set up near the pier and were back on the ship by 1:15.

I needed to make tea so I took my book to the Lido and read while my tea seeped.  When that was done I changed and went to the pool for a refreshing swim.  They must have drained the pool because the water was much cooler than a couple of days ago.

In what is becoming a regular feature, it is scuttlebutt time.  Orlando Ashford (President of HAL) has been in Cambodia helping to get the passengers of Westerdam home safely and deciding what to do with the crew since Asian cruises have been cancelled.  The latest rumor is that Ashford will be leaving Cambodia and getting on the ship (one version had him getting on today, another had him getting on in Auckland) and telling us what will happen to our Asian ports.

Trivia was at 4:30. Tomas introduced the two new assistant cruise directors, Andrea and Spencer who both seem very nice.  Only Diana and I were there from our team so Spencer played with us.  We had 17.5 out of 23 and the winners had 19.

1.What are the three ways heat travels? (worth one point each)

2.What are the four smallest countries? (worth one point each)

3.What is white sugar mixed with to make brown sugar?

4.What non-mechanical sport has the highest speed?

5.Which comic strip hero is considered the world’s most famous cat?

Today was National Margarita Day so in honor of that I had two (it was Happy Hour).  They were quite strong and I was a little loopy until dinner time.  I went out on deck three when we were casting off lines thinking some fresh air might help.

All four of us were present for dinner.  I did not go to the show.

A sea day tomorrow.

Trivia

1.convection, conduction, and radiation

2.Vatican City, Monaco, Nauru, and Tuvalu

3.molasses

4.sky-diving

5.Felix

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

In what is becoming a regular feature, it is scuttlebutt time.  Orlando Ashford (President of HAL) has been in Cambodia helping to get the passengers of Westerdam home safely and deciding what to do with the crew since Asian cruises have been cancelled.  The latest rumor is that Ashford will be leaving Cambodia and getting on the ship (one version had him getting on today, another had him getting on in Auckland) and telling us what will happen to our Asian ports.

The scuttlebutt is very interesting Kathi.

It will be good to know what is happening to your itinerary in view of the situation in Asia.