Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

February 29, 2020

At Sea

I woke up at 8 to try to get on the internet.  Last night I was able to get the blog up but not the pictures.  They loaded very quickly but I could not save them.  I could not get on Cruise Critic at all.  This morning was a little better and I managed to get everything up in about an hour.  It was another case of getting on-line, trying to open a site, and then being told there was no connection.  Through the grapevine I heard that HAL had changed companies that provide the satellite connection since I was on Prinsendam last year.  We had pretty good service then, now it is just plain bad.  I think there might have been a mutiny already if we were paying by the minute (most of us have an unlimited plan).

Up to Sit and Stitch and we had a full house.  I continue working on my socks (one of four projects that I have going) because I will likely need those needles for my next project.

In morning trivia we had 12 out of 15 and the winners had 14.

1.What are the two countries that border the highest mountain in the Western Hemisphere?

2.Which of the five senses is less sharp after you eat too much?

3.Which nation has 60% of the world’s tigers?

4.What does the “Q” in Q-tips stand for?

5.What is the largest feline?

6.Which witch was flattened by a house in The Wizard of Oz?

Lunch in the Lido after some work on my Linus blanket.  In Arts & Crafts we made earrings to go with the necklace we made the other day.

In afternoon trivia we had 15 out of 17 and the winners had 16.

1.What type of cheese is Emmental?

2.Which sport would you be participating in if you do a “flick-flack”?

3.In 1997 The Simpsons replaced what show as the longest running cartoon?

4.What is the plural of mongoose?

5.How many tuning pins are in the neck of a violin?

We had started having some movement and had encountered some strong winds so swimming was out.  They were even netting the Lido Pool as I walked by on the way to the back deck.  It was even too windy to sit out.

This morning I received a notice that HAL did not have a copy of my visa for Sri Lanka.  Well of course they didn’t, they never asked for it.  (This was true for almost everyone.)  So, I took my copy to Guest Services so they would have one.  Everyone I talked to had gotten a transit visa because that was what HAL told us to get in the pre-cruise paperwork.  Nobody knows if this will still be good since we now have a second port in Sri Lanka.

Tonight was another Gala Night and the theme was “Bowlers and Bumbershoots” in honor of our arrival to Commonwealth nations.  I was hoping for a HAL umbrella as our pillow gift but once again there was no gift (there is a real cutback from previous years).  The dinner was very good, however and I then went to see the second performance by Annie Frances.  She is very popular because there was a good crowd for the 9:30 show which isn’t always true.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Morning trivia

1.Argentina and Chile

2.hearing

3.India

4.quality

5.tiger

6.Wicked Witch of the East

Afternoon trivia

1.Swiss

2.gymnastics

3.The Flintstones

4.mongooses

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kesam said:

Hi kathi, Ed says hi too. 😃The books are the two written by the cruise captain. Sorry to read that you will miss some ports. Hope they fix the visa situation fixed so that you might enjoy India. 
This virus has everyone in a state back here. 
good luck and hugs,

Cyndi

Don't worry about those books.  Feel free to donate them to Goodwill or your library if they have a book exchange.

Many of us have had problems with CC the last few days.  I couldn't get on with my usual Chrome -- tried Internet Explorer -- no go.  Finally on Thursday I got on using Edge.  Then late Friday even Edge didn't work.  This morning everything is working.

Wonderful report.  Hope your Visa works what with all the port changes.

Saving trivia for this afternoon.

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Many of us have had problems with CC the last few days.  I couldn't get on with my usual Chrome -- tried Internet Explorer -- no go.  Finally on Thursday I got on using Edge.  Then late Friday even Edge didn't work.  This morning everything is working.

Wonderful report.  Hope your Visa works what with all the port changes.

Saving trivia for this afternoon.

I still can't get on Chrome. I got IE and Edge to work - but Edge is connected to my email - so I'm using Edge. My Chrome CC has now been out for 3 days. 

I'm glad you were able to post with only one failure, Kathi. I've really been enjoying - following along.

Some of my trivia ability is amazing and the rest - 'no clue' . Your missed ports would have really disappointed me - that would have been the part I was looking forward to. 

Of course I would never have done this one anyway- no interest whatsoever in Antarctica. Way too cold and too many days in that region.

I hope they don't have to disrupt your schedule any more now. 

2 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

I still can't get on Chrome. I got IE and Edge to work - but Edge is connected to my email - so I'm using Edge. My Chrome CC has now been out for 3 days. 

We had the same problem using Chrome.  The way we got CC to work on Chrome was to clear the browsing history.  It has worked since we did that.

March 1, 2020

At Sea

We had a good sized group for Sit and Stitch.  Judy (Bob) and I left at 11:15 to go down to the Explorer’s Lounge.  She needed to turn in her finished Linus blanket and I needed to get a couple more balls of yarn to finish mine.

We had 9 out of 15 for morning trivia.  The winners had 11.

1.If you have “hypertrichosis”, you have lots of what?

2.What athletic event has competitors that are spinners or shifters?

3.Who composed “Dream of Gerontius”?

4.Where would you find the Euromast?

5.What is the world’s fastest growing plant?

Worked on my Linus blanket before lunch in the Lido.  We made a world slide necklace in Arts & Crafts.

Bernd joined Debby, Diana, Marilyn, Rodney, and me for afternoon trivia.  We had 14 out of 17.  Winners had 16.

1.What continent is struck the most by lightning and for a bonus point which country has the most?

2.What element has an atomic number of 50 and a chemical symbol of Sn?

3.A “bob” was a popular name for which British coin?

4.What do whales and peas have in common?

5.Which king was the last Emperor of India?

There was another unusual 6:30 trivia in the Crow’s Nest with one of the new assistant CDs, Andrea (from Portugal).  There were only two teams and we tied with 16 each (out of 20).  The team I was on won the tie-breaker which was “What was the capacity of the lifeboats on Titanic?”

1.What lives in a “holt”?

2.What is the world’s largest herb?

3.What constellation is on the flags of Australia and New Zealand?

4.What fruit is used to flavor Southern Comfort?

5.What is the world’s warmest sea?

Dinner was slow tonight.  I opted not to go to the show which was a variety show with the juggler and a musician.

Auckland tomorrow.

Morning trivia

1.hair

2.shot put

3.Elgar

4.Rotterdam

5.bamboo

Afternoon trivia

1.South America – bonus Venezuela

2.tin

3.shilling

4.pods

5.George VI

Evening trivia

1.otters

2.plantains

3.Southern Cross

4.apricot

5.Red Sea

Tie-breaker – 1178 – we guessed 1200

• Like 1

Out of all those trivia questions - I knew exactly 1 [one] Should have known a second - but didn't. 😄

You skip the same 'entertainment' that I would - if I could stay awake that long. The 'motion of the ocean' tends to rock me to sleep - easily.

Thanks for your reports and the trivia - I couldn't be on anyone's team. I'm glad you have wins with yours.

March 2, 2020

Auckland, New Zealand

My plan for the day was to catch up on internet stuff (e-mails, updating apps, etc.) and go yarn shopping.

I slept late and did not get off the ship until about 10:30. The McDonald’s I was planning on spending time in was no longer there (don’t know why the website didn’t say so) but there was another one about a block away.  Sherita was going to meet me after her tour, so I e-mailed her the location of the new one.  She arrived just before 12:30.

After Sherita ate lunch we walked to the yarn store – New Zealand Fabrics and Yarn.  It is only about a five minute walk up Queens Street from the ship.  It is a tiny store but it is jam-packed with yarn, fabric, other crafts and supplies. 

One of the things that New Zealand is known for is possum fur.  For my fellow Americans, do not think of those ugly opossums that we have.  The NZ possums are kind of cute but they are not real popular because they eat leaves, flowers, fruit, eggs, birds, and insects.  They were brought from Australia in the 1800s.  You can read more about them here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_brushtail_possum_in_New_Zealand .

I had visited the store in 2018 and purchased yarn to make a hat and socks that contained possum fur.  I had seen a jacket pattern that I really liked but it was early in the cruise and I had talked myself out of it – a decision I have regretted so I bought the yarn and pattern today.  I also bought yarn for a capelet that has 40% possum fur, 40% cashmere, and 20% silk.

Also, something surprising happened in the store which I will tell you more about tomorrow.

Sherita and I walked to the grocery store because she wanted to pick up a few things.  I hate going to the grocery store at home but it is always fun to do so in a foreign country.

We arrived back on the ship after 3 pm and I was hungry so I ordered a quesadilla and a piece of chocolate cake for a very late lunch.

I spent most of the rest of the afternoon researching sweater patterns since I am going back to the yarn store tomorrow.

The only trivia of the day was at 6:30. I played with the “We Don’t Need Google” team.  We tied another team with 16 out of 20.

1.Which is mentioned more in the Bible – corn, figs, or olives?

2.What does the slang term “all day and night” mean to a prison inmate?

3.On the periodic table what does the number below the symbol of the element mean?

4.How much does an average man’s brain weigh at the age of 30?

5.What is mixed with white wine in a spritzer?

After dinner I talked with Judy (Margaret) because I thought she was going yarn shopping today.  Turns out she and Pete are going tomorrow.  We talked patterns and yarns until they were about ready to throw us out of the dining room.

There was no show tonight.

Another day in Auckland tomorrow.

Trivia

1.corn

2.life sentence

3.atomic weight

4.3 pounds

5.soda water

• Like 1

Kathi, I laughed when you mentioned looking for the possum fur yarn in New Zealand. I remember when we were with you on the 2018 GWV that you had to explain the difference between their possums and those we have in the US. Glad you were successful in your search.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:41 AM, Scrapnana said:

March 1, 2020

At Sea

We had a good sized group for Sit and Stitch.  Judy (Bob) and I left at 11:15 to go down to the Explorer’s Lounge.  She needed to turn in her finished Linus blanket and I needed to get a couple more balls of yarn to finish mine.

Hi,

I am wondering is the "Linus" blanket you are referring to for Project Linus or does it have a different meaning?  

I enjoy reading your updates as my in-laws are considering the Grand World but haven't taken the jump to do it yet!!

Happy cruising!!! 

Have they mentioned how many guests are leaving in Auckland and how many are joining the ship?

I checked the HAL site to see if they are offering any segments of the remaining WC last week, and found none.  Today it shows a 48 day segment from Singapore to Ft Lauderdale without any of the revisions.  Oh well, that was the part I wanted to do and now it has been changed anyway.

Also heard that Orlando Ashford and Gerald Bernhoft have cancelled their plans to board Amsterdam.  With the coronavirus, I'm sure Seattle is working around the clock.

Just curious, Kathi, which grocery store did you visit?  I looked around Four Square (straight up the highway) but was more impressed with Countdown, a left and then a couple of blocks along the shoreside drive.

Roy

March 3, 2020

Auckland, New Zealand

Although this is my third visit to Auckland, I have never walked more than a couple of blocks on Queen Street.  I was off the ship by 9:30 to walk up Queen Street to the Civic Centre.  I went into a few stores and bought a couple of things before heading back to the yarn store.

I had decided on two sweater patters I liked and was determined to find yarn for one of them.  A number of people from the ship came in while I was debating including Judy (Lee) who purchased sock yarn (she was the one who taught me to make toe-up socks two years ago).  I finally made up my mind on a recycled yarn with possum fur.

Yesterday, I told you that I had a surprise in the store.  Here is the story.  While I was checking out I was mentioning I was on the ship and would return tomorrow.  Tracey said that she had to make a delivery to the ship and then to my astonishment said my name and cabin number.  After I told her that I was the person to whom she was referring, she told me that someone who reads my blog wanted to donate yarn for Project Linus blankets.  This amazing person had read how we were just about out of yarn and contacted the store to get some for us.  When I returned today I found out that he had paid for 30 balls of yarn! In a time when there is so much negativity, it is reassuring to know that there are still people who are so caring.  This had put a smile on my face as well as everyone I have told.  I know the blankets made from this yarn will put a smile on the faces of the children who receive them, too.

Before I left the store, Cheryl did a short interview with me which she is putting up on the store’s facebook site.

With three large bags of yarn as well as the few things I had purchased (I found the shampoo that is supposed to take the blue out of my hair) I went back to the ship.  I would have set out again but they had moved the all-aboard time from 5:30 to 4 pm so instead I went to the Lido for lunch before finishing my sixth Linus blanket (tomorrow I will start on #7 with some of the beautiful new yarn).

At 4:00 the monthly muster drill took place.  It was over just after 4:30. It was time to make a new pitcher of tea so I took the pitcher to the Lido and let the tea brew for a while and then went out on the back deck to watch our sail-away from Auckland.

There was trivia at 6:30 and once again I played with the “We Don’t Need Google” team.  We had 15 out of 20 and the winners had 17.

1.What is the capital of New Zealand?

2.Finn, soling, and star are classes in which sport?

3.What metallic element makes steel “stainless”?

4.Which animal cannot look up in the sky in a standing position?

5.Name the four largest (in area) countries in Oceania and for an extra point put them in order.

6.What US poet wrote, “Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker?”

After dinner I went to the second show by “The Alley Cats”, the do-wop group.

Bay of Islands tomorrow.

Trivia

1.Wellington

2.yachting

3.chromium

4.pig

5.Australia, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, New Zealand

6.Ogden Nash

P.S. This is late because the internet was not working last night.

• Like 7

On 3/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, rafinmd said:

Just curious, Kathi, which grocery store did you visit?  I looked around Four Square (straight up the highway) but was more impressed with Countdown, a left and then a couple of blocks along the shoreside drive.

Roy

We went to Countdown.  Sherita lugged an 18-pack of Coke cans back!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

Yesterday, I told you that I had a surprise in the store.  Here is the story.  While I was checking out I was mentioning I was on the ship and would return tomorrow.  Tracey said that she had to make a delivery to the ship and then to my astonishment said my name and cabin number.  After I told her that I was the person to whom she was referring, she told me that someone who reads my blog wanted to donate yarn for Project Linus blankets.  This amazing person had read how we were just about out of yarn and contacted the store to get some for us.  When I returned today I found out that he had paid for 30 balls of yarn! In a time when there is so much negativity, it is reassuring to know that there are still people who are so caring.  This had put a smile on my face as well as everyone I have told.  I know the blankets made from this yarn will put a smile on the faces of the children who receive them, too.

♥️♥️ ♥️♥️  ♥️♥️ ♥️♥️ 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

After I told her that I was the person to whom she was referring, she told me that someone who reads my blog wanted to donate yarn for Project Linus blankets.  This amazing person had read how we were just about out of yarn and contacted the store to get some for us.  When I returned today I found out that he had paid for 30 balls of yarn!

WOW.  That is one of the most thoughtful things to do I have ever heard of.  Thank you, kind gentleman.  What a wonderful gift.

March 4, 2020

Bay of Islands, New Zealand

When I was here in 2014, some of my friends took the ferry over to Russell from the town of Paihia and really liked the little town so that was my plan for today.  When I woke up, however, I thought my plans would change because it was rainy and the sky was an ugly gray.  Luckily, the day grew much brighter as I was waiting for my tender number to be called.

When I arrived ashore I took the complimentary shuttle bus from the tender dock near the Waitangi Treaty Grounds into Paihia.  I walked around starting with the craft stalls, crafts in the War Memorial Building, a trip to the dollar star (not everything was a dollar like at home), getting a hokey-pokey ice cream cone (finally!), and then taking the ferry over to Russell.

It’s hard to believe that the beautiful little town of Russell was once known as the “Hell Hole of the Pacific”!  In the early 1800s it was a provisioning port for whalers and got quite a bad reputation.  Today it is a picturesque, historic town and a popular vacation spot.

When I was on the ferry returning to Paihia, it started to rain.  I had been carrying my raincoat around all day but by the time we docked it was only a light drizzle that stopped almost immediately.  I walked around a little longer and then took the shuttle back to the tender.

I had not been able to get on-line at all last night so I was trying to post my blog when I got back on board.  I still was having no luck so I went to the Lido and got a sandwich and took it back to my cabin to keep trying.  I eventually was able to get the blog posted and the entry on Cruise Critic but still was unable to load pictures. 

I stopped for 4:30 trivia which was in the Piano Bar today due to sail-away party being held in the Crow’s Nest.  We had 15 out of 17 and was just beaten out by our neighbors (We Don’t Need Google), who had 16.

1.Which of the Great Lakes does not touch Canadian shores?

2.What does an autophobe avoid referring to?

3.Which Asian country has the least amount of urban green space per person?

4.What is a flat image that can be displayed in three dimensions?

5.What is the largest Japanese island?

6.What number does “giga” stand for?

After trivia I went to deck nine by the Sea View Pool to see the last of the islands.  You may have noticed I have not been swimming in the last few days.  The reason is its been a little too cool.  On the bright side, my new shampoo has done a great job of removing the blue in my hair!

I then went back to trying to load pictures.  To give you an idea of the situation, I kept track between 6:00 and 6:32:

Able to connect and was on five minutes before losing connection

Could not connect on two tries

Connected and was on for four minutes before losing connection

Could not connect on 16 tries

Connected but lost it before being able to do anything

Could not connect on 2 tries

Could not connect on one try

Could not connect on one try

Connected and was on for seven whole minutes before losing the connection.

Very, very frustrating.  I do knit or crochet while I am waiting so the time is not a total loss.

I did not go to the show after dinner because I wanted to spend more quality time with the %#^*$@ internet.

We gain an hour tonight.

Sea day tomorrow.

Trivia

1.Lake Michigan

2.self

3.Japan

4.hologram

5.Honshu

6.one billion

• Like 2

Oh Kathi, your story on the donated yarn put a smile on my face 🙂. How very kind and clever of the person to find a store that could do it for you. 

Glad to hear that the new shampoo is working.

The story about the gentleman who donated the yarn brought tears to my eyes! What a wonderful and thoughtful gesture. There really are some wonderful people in this world.

Really enjoying your blog!