Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Not sure

Not sure what's going on with the World.  No signs of any activity on her so I guess her pax have been sent home but don't understand why she is still berthed.  QM2 was given a deadline to get out of the port (Termination of cruise was just announced Sunday AM so getting everybody to hotels and/or flights is an ongoing challenge 2 days later).  Hopefully, HAL will have arrangements for Amsterdam guests well in hand when she arrives.

Roy

Why would her passengers be "sent home"?  The World is their home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Why would her passengers be "sent home"?  The World is their home.

The World might be their "home".......but how exactly would they be able to bunker fuel and get supplies....when most of the world ports are closed.......????

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

And now coming into the berth about 6AM local time Tuesday in Fremantle.

Roy

Roy, I've been following you along on your travels, so sorry this one has ended like this.  But Cunard seems to be taking good care of you all, you mentioned in your blog that hotel, food and drinks all paid for by them, and flights arranged.  Hope HAL is as good with the Amsterdam pax.

51 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

The World might be their "home".......but how exactly would they be able to bunker fuel and get supplies....when most of the world ports are closed.......????

The point is that they have more choices than cruise ship passengers.  They can go wherever they choose just like the owner of a luxury yacht can go where they choose.  I once met a person from The World in Copenhagen where he was shopping for groceries and supplies.  He told me that the ship was going to anchor in Athens for a month when the Olympics were on there.  If freighters can bunker fuel and order supplies to be delivered dockside I am sure that ship could do it also.  

18 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

If freighters can bunker fuel and order supplies to be delivered dockside I am sure that ship could do it also.  

Only if the World can change their designation to a freighter....and from what I understand....have less than 500 people onboard including crew....

It's a moot point.....what is happening right now, world wide, to our cruisers is tragic and we need to be supportive....!!!!

2 hours ago, Rowsby said:

I think it quite likely The World might be parked there for the duration.  It's a really big privately owned residential yacht (gross tonnage 43,000) with 165 residences and some of the owners do live aboard full time. The ship is a condominium and the apartments on the ship are privately owned by the residents who hold all of the ownership shares in the ship. Itinerary is chosen by vote many months in advance and the ship could have ended up in a much worse place for this. Full capacity is approx 200 residents plus a crew of just under 300.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

I think it quite likely The World might be parked there for the duration.  It's a really big privately owned residential yacht (gross tonnage 43,000) with 165 residences and some of the owners do live aboard full time. The ship is a condominium and the apartments on the ship are privately owned by the residents who hold all of the ownership shares in the ship. Itinerary is chosen by vote many months in advance and the ship could have ended up in a much worse place for this. Full capacity is approx 200 residents plus a crew of just under 300.

578949.jpg

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Not sure

Not sure what's going on with the World.  No signs of any activity on her so I guess her pax have been sent home but don't understand why she is still berthed.  QM2 was given a deadline to get out of the port (Termination of cruise was just announced Sunday AM so getting everybody to hotels and/or flights is an ongoing challenge 2 days later).  Hopefully, HAL will have arrangements for Amsterdam guests well in hand when she arrives.

Roy

Believe it or not, the only passengers that are being helped are the ones that bought flights thru HAL.  All independent and all of us that didn’t have flights are completely on our own.  NO help at all although they will reimburse us for $1,250/pp for airfare.  No use for me as I don’t fly so I guess I’ll spend some time in Australia.

Linda R.

7 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Believe it or not, the only passengers that are being helped are the ones that bought flights thru HAL.  All independent and all of us that didn’t have flights are completely on our own.  NO help at all although they will reimburse us for $1,250/pp for airfare.  No use for me as I don’t fly so I guess I’ll spend some time in Australia.

Linda R.

Out of curiosity, if you don't fly, how do you expect to get back to  Florida - wait until next year's WC or another ship heading to the U.S.?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rowsby said:

Only if the World can change their designation to a freighter....and from what I understand....have less than 500 people onboard including crew....

It's a moot point.....what is happening right now, world wide, to our cruisers is tragic and we need to be supportive....!!!!

I am all for being supportive to fellow cruisers, but I wouldn't characterize what is happening to cruisers now as "tragic".  I was on the Westerdam from Hong Kong to Cambodia and I would call what happened to us an adventure.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

March 17, 2020

At Sea

No bombshells today but we did get lots of information.  We received the letter explaining things (compensation, debarking, etc.) and information about the FedEx Bags.

Only a small group at Sit and Stitch.  I returned the yarn I had for my next Linus blanket which I will not get to make.

We had 10 out of 15 in morning trivia and the winners had 12.

1.How do leprechauns earn their gold?

2.Name the company that supplies match balls for FIFA and UEFA.

3.What was Captain Bligh’s (of the Bounty) first name?

4.The 25.59 carat “Sunrise” is the most expensive colored gemstone.  What type of stone is it?

5.On June 29th of this year the first generation iPhone was released – 2007, 2003, or 2009?

I worked on my Linus blanket before lunch.  In Arts & Crafts we made Celtic knot earrings.

A little more work (I have three rounds to go) on my Linus blanket before changing and going to afternoon trivia which was on St. Patrick’s Day.  We had 14 out of 17 and the winners had 16.

1.What do historians believe St. Patrick’s name was at birth?

Trevet Batilda, Aldon Backatte, or Maewyn Succat

2.Where and when was the first St.Patrick’s Day parade?

Boston 1809, Boston 1911, NYC 1762, or Providence 1898

3.How many Americans claim to have Irish ancestry?

14 million, 27 million, or 33 million

4.St. Patrick’s Day commemorates his ____

Birth, death, marriage, or coronation

5.What color was associated with St. Patrick before green?

Red, blue, or yellow

I went to the pool after trivia – sitting in the sun for 40 minutes and swimming for 40 minutes (I did some laps).

The dining room was all decorated for St. Patrick’s Day and there were some Irish inspired meals [corned beef and spinach (?)].  The evening entertainment was the “Shamrock Tenors”, a group from Belfast.  They were very good and will be doing another show in a couple of days.

We gain an hour tonight.

Morning trivia

1.they make shoes

2.Adidas

3.William

4.ruby

Afternoon trivia

1.Maewyn Succat

2.NYC 1762

3.33 million

4.death

5.blue

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 1

Just now, T8NCruise said:

Roy, I've been following you along on your travels, so sorry this one has ended like this.  But Cunard seems to be taking good care of you all, you mentioned in your blog that hotel, food and drinks all paid for by them, and flights arranged.  Hope HAL is as good with the Amsterdam pax.

I am disappointed that HAL did not give us the help that Cunard gave her passengers although I don't know what kind of a package was offered to the Cunard passengers (other than flights).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Linda R.

Without a return ticket not sure how long Australia will let you stay.  ETA limit is 90 days if you even have one. You can get a visitor visa for up to 12 months.  Not sure if you can apply while in the country.

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Kathi, if I understand Roy correctly, he said that Cunard is picking up his hotel and meals as well as taking care of booking his flight.

Hotel, food, drinks, assisting with all travel arrangements including booking flights for them.  Class act.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

Hotel, food, drinks, assisting with all travel arrangements including booking flights for them.  Class act.

Kind of like what Holland America did with the guests on the Westerdam.

Still happy that you are able to finish one more Linus blanket before the cruise ends.  Do you think you made the most this cruise?

Corned Beef and spinach?  strange

Your team is usually so close to winning at trivia.

Thanks for showing us a copy of the letter you all received.  

Why am I not surprised that some people are giving negative comments, threats and canceling future cruises to punish HAL? Even in the most trying of times when people need to be more understanding and patient, some people think it's all about them and have no compassion for others. I'm sure the Guest Services staff on board need a Xanax, or three, after each shift after dealing with self important assholes.

HAL should have made air arrangements for everyone on board but I would imagine that their home office staff is overloaded trying to deal with all the cancellations for future cruises plus trying to figure out how to handle the staff on board their ships who now have now passengers to care for and are losing significant tip income.

It will be interesting to see how those passengers who can't fly, due to medical conditions, are going to be handled and how they're going to get back home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hard decisions and tough times for everyone. Is this the right time to remind everyone of the contract they sign when they book a cruise? We never expect the worst to happen when we sign that,  but it does give the cruise line the right to do pretty much anything they want any time they want. I’d say that maybe people should keep that in mind before they travel when they are in a compromised situation health or mobility wise.

I think a lot of us have become used to expecting travel to be safe but maybe we should think of it instead as an adventure and question if we are really up for it.

• Like 1